RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Check Engine Light...Going on 5 years & 20,000 miles...

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Check Engine Light...Going on 5 years & 20,000 miles...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
T-Rex

Carlsbad, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/26/21 08:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After 5 years (and 20,000 miles) of owning my 2007 Class C RV with an E450 chassis, I am finally committed to resolving what should have been addressed right way. The prior owner had taken the RV to a Ford Dealership service center after seeing a Check Engine Light (CEL), and they replaced an oxygen sensor for over $600. The problem initially appeared to have been resolved, but soon later, it reappeared. Since it never posed a significant problem, I've always just erased the code and went on my merry way. I recently saw a forum post stating that a "stuck lean" code could indicate a problem that may be engine damaging, and so I'm FINALLY anxious to get this properly resolved.

When I start the engine for the first time on a given day, the engine usually runs fairly rough and sounds like it may stall (though it never has), and sometimes this rough idle is accompanied by the CEL. Eventually it "smooths out" on it's own, especially if I give it a little gas. If the engine has already been warmed up, and I start the engine, it immediately runs smoothly and no CEL appears. Over the past year or so, it's only been a P2195 code, but previously, I've seen P2196, P2197 and P0105.

If it's not too difficult, I'm willing to try replacing sensors with new ones or just clean the existing ones. Even if I guess wrong once or twice about which part is defective, I'm probably better off financially than if I took it to a Ford dealership.

I would really appreciate any thoughts of the root cause of this issue given the signs and symptoms above, and thoughts about a novice tackling a repair himself.

Thank you,
Eric

2008 Winnebago Voyage 32H

pauldub

North of Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/21 09:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You might find more help here.

T-Rex

Carlsbad, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/26/21 09:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pauldub wrote:

You might find more help here.

Thank you.
Would still like to hear from others too, please.

bobndot

USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/21 10:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Did you do the following ?
I ran the code to see what fixes were common.

What repairs can fix the P2195 code?
Replacing the O2 sensor.
Replacing the fuel pressure regulator.
Replacing a leaking injector.
Replacing a cracked intake air tube.
Cleaning or replacing the mass airfl

T-Rex

Carlsbad, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/26/21 10:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, I saw all of those possible fixes. Given that I only encounter the throwing of the code(s) upon cold start, I'm wondering if that might help diagnose which of those fixes is most likely to work. If there is no way to tell, however, I may try cleaning or replacing the MAF as this is the only thing I've seen replaced online and looks like something I can handle.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/21 11:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check if it has a vacuum leak or pcv hose melted.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

PartyOf Five

Wheaton, IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/27/21 03:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is a commonly found engine and these are fairly routine parts to replace. I'd find a medium/ heavy truck repair shop and ask them you replace all the parts. We're talking much money on parts vs the labor cost to go in separately. This reduces variables quickly. www.rvservicereviews.com is a good listing of recommended providers by region.

As for DIY, are you comfortable Changing the air filter? Oil change? Replacing a sway bar? There are plenty of YouTube videos but you have to be in the right mindset to take on multiple part replacements and haven't given us an indicator of how much of a novice you are. When in doubt, I dig in, try, and learn- because an RV is expensive to maintain if you have everything done by others.

PartyOf5 appreciating our Creator thru the creation. 5 yrs, 50k

May you find Peace in all you endeavor.

bobndot

USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/21 04:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Im not a mechanic but I always watch my mechanic work . Whenever he takes things apart he always sprays the connectors by taking them apart to spray them with a contact cleaner.
He told me he does that bc the connectors are not made in the USA and they tend to 'not seal as well as they should' allowing moisture to enter.

There is a YouTube of how to check the air intake and change the filter.

go to YouTube and type in,
"Ford E450 RV how to change spark plugs, coils and air filter for maintenance"

Something to consider , rough idle situation, vacuum leak at the throttle body. That can also show a code.

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/forums........6-8l-v10-low-idle-and-surging-19143.html

pushtoy 2

texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/21 04:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Buy a code reader a cheep one that way the no guessing and replacing good parts . they are very ez to use and all the falt codes are on the enternet.. money well spent

DREAMER ">

pushtoy 2

texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/21 05:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

falt code p2195 is a 02 sencer

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Check Engine Light...Going on 5 years & 20,000 miles...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.