RV.Net Open Roads Forum: RVing with Disabilities and General Health Issues: Prostate Cancer

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing with Disabilities and Ge...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/27/21 06:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Acampingwewillgo wrote:

How timely this is! I just, finally, had a MRI-Fusion ultra sound biopsy yesterday. The different approaches to biopsies today is even more confusing that what it was 10 years ago. I'm 66 and my PSA numbers have been elevated for some time. Ten years ago I thought a biopsy was happening but with a last minute blood test and PSA dropping, it didn't happen. Over the last year, the PSA has been up to 10.2, 7.7 and 5.7......take your pick! Like most, if I was going to have a biopsy, I wanted the most accurate and most pin point avaiable!
Anyways, the doctor who preformed the biopsy noted that my prostrate was enlarged( 2 to 2 1/2 times larger than normal) and given my last PSA reading, believed that number was small compared to the actual size of the prostrate. The Doc took samples from the MRI suspect area and some general samples in other areas. He felt he got a very good sampling.
Next step, my urologist will provide the results next week. Fingers crossed! The procedure itself, my first, was relatively painless and quick and so far no after procedure bleeding. Good luck to all going through this!
Oh, if your not on Flomax for urine stream....you should be, I swear by that stuff!????

My prostate too is enlarged. Prior to this, I was weighing the roto rooter job. They just took me off Terasosin and put me on Flowmax.

Fulltimers

Anywhere, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/27/21 07:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have been there and done that. As you talk to more people you will be surprised at how many have had Prostrate Cancer. I was scared too. My Urologist said,” If you are going to get any cancer, prostate is the one to get. It is curable.” The whole ordeal was easy and painless for me, some not so lucky. The biopsies were quick and painless. I went through a lot of different scans to see if it had metastasized. Then I did the IMRT radiation. Yes it was 9 weeks, Monday through Friday but it was also painless and only lasted about 15 minutes per day. There can be side effects but I had none. I have heard it said most men die with some degree of Prostate Cancer. I have also heard you can put a percentage sing behind your age and that is the percentage you will get it. Well it’s been over 7 years for me now and all is good.

Bottom line, it’s only a death sentence if you do nothing. I wish you the best!

Fulltimers
Fulltimers Weblog
2003 Rexhall Aerbus 3550BSL
W-22 Workhorse
2005 Saturn Vue (Mr. Toad)
3.5L V6 Automatic

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/28/21 12:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Right before they removed our Cousin's testicles in a desperate misguide measure to save his life,in late 2018, I think, there was a paper published on massive dosages of Testosterone, which seems counterintuitive to kill cancer in prostate and elsewhere. I told him about it but the deed had already been done. He fought it for 10 years.
Since then I have found nothing else about that treatment.

* This post was edited 01/28/21 12:50am by down home *

Scottiemom

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 01/28/21 04:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bumpyroad wrote:

Scottiemom wrote:

I think my DH's was 5.1 and they requested a biopsy. Do the biopsy, Regardless of your PSI being suspect, the biopsy will reveal. DH had cancer in like 7 of 9 samples taken. Because of his heart condition, it was suggested by one doctor to "wait and see." That is a death sentence. A friend did that and 10 years later he had bone cancer and even after aggressive treatment at that point, he did not survive. Since my DH could not have surgery, we went to MD Anderson in Houston (we fulltimed so it wasn't inconvenient), and he had proton beam radiation treatment. At 10 years, his PSA was starting to rise by .1 every six months. They told him if it went up more, he would have to come back for scans. Sadly he died from other problems before that had to be addressed, but he did live cancer free for those 10 years after treatment. He was 60 when diagnosed.

My BIL was just diagnosed via biopsy. He is going to have surgery.

Dale

Isn't proton beam the one where you only need one week or so of radiation rather than the 30 days?
bumpy

Terry had 39 treatments, once a day M-F. If you missed more than 2 days, you had to start over. Fortunately, Terry had very few if any side effects and it didn't really even slow him down. The proton beam is highly concentrated so it does not damage tissue surrounding the prostate, only the prostate. It's been ten years and the treatment could have changed in that time, I don't know. He did well with the treatments and we were grateful to have this option.

Dale

Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2004 R-Vision Trail-lite 213 (MinnieMee)
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/
Where are we?

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 01/28/21 06:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

down home wrote:

My prostate too is enlarged. Prior to this, I was weighing the roto rooter job. They just took me off Terasosin and put me on Flowmax.

I take both terazosin and flomax. no reason not to IMHO. due to insurance coverage, I have to use a different/similar product to flomax.
before getting the roto rooter treatment check out urolift.
bumpy

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/30/21 12:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks. Friday the Dr said microscopic blood cells in urine. Talked about possible bladder and or prostate cancer. He felt the same spot. Going for cat scan but in three weeks. Nothing gets done these days.Everything is compartmentalized. Separate outfits for everything. By the time I get back to him it will be a month at least.Maybe three months for some resolution?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing with Disabilities and Ge...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.