RV.Net Open Roads Forum: RVing with Disabilities and General Health Issues: Prostate Cancer

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing with Disabilities and Ge...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Pangaea Ron

Anacortes, WA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/21 08:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My PSA went from 4 to 7 in a year. I have family history, my father, and cousin. . . his PSA went to 19 and they forgot to warn him, in a year was a 38. You don't want the treatments that he has had over the last 15 years.

It also depends on your age. At 68, 4 years ago, we decided to have Da Vinci (the robot) remove mine after 6 of 12 biopsies showed prostate cancer, fortunately it was well contained. PSA is now undetectable.

2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

2oldman

NM

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/21 08:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Only a urologist can tell you. That number is about what mine is, and has been for years.

D.E.Bishop

Eagle Rock, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/27/21 08:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My first hand experience with Prostate Cancer has been positive in that my PSA is less than 0.1 and has been for several years. I do not remember when I was diagnosed but over a period of a year or so my PSA went from <2.5 to 14.something. It bounced all over for a couple of years and I did have three needle biopsies all of which showed the same level of cancer. My oncologist told me that they had no idea why my count varied so much but just to be safe, he suggested the 40 days of radiation. It appears to be a success but it does have it's disadvantages.

In the first appointment with the oncologist, he laid out a probable course of action and inaction and he mentioned five methods of treatment. What I remember there was first, do nothing, radiation, implant radio active seeds, or surgery. I tried to explain to him that of all the options he presented the only one I was not in any way shape or form interested in was radiation. At that time I did not know anyone who had cancer and was subjected to radiation that did not die from the originally diagnosed form of cancer. I had no desire to go through what they had gone through. During the next few months I was examined or met with the "experts" in each method and all three said the same thing, I was not a candidate for that procedure. That left "Do Nothing" or "Radiation".

Knowing what I know today, I would have gone outside my HMO and paid out of pocket for the removal via the DaVinci method or have chosen to do nothing. My second choice would have been "Do Nothing". After I was declared cancer free I was finally told I only had a 20 to 25 percent chance that it would reoccur.

I have not felt that radiation was in anyway a good choice. I have refused ever having a PSA test again and against my wishes when I have a blood test for any reason, without my knowledge or permission the lab always runs a PSA test. I don't care what it says and I don' think it is a good indicator of anything other than MDs don't know what else to do. Being alive is nice but being alive and living with the effects of high levels of radiation for 40 days sucks.

"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

roam1

Gulf Breeze FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/27/21 09:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

find a good urologist and read up on prostate cancer as much as you can, you are your best advocate. know your options, urologists can be provincial and you must know and ask about all options.

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/27/21 10:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The finger said it was on right side a nodule laterally. I think he said it was hard. Did another blood test n Monday won't get results til tomorrow. It was for Free psa and something, not free I suppose? VAA is not doing any thing because of Covid? Dr told me they would d community care and that takes time to find a Doctor. So he is sending them a referral to this Dr. Friday I see him again for the Ultra sound and biopsy or for it to be scheduled. Can't get anything done these days it takes months what should be a day sometimes. My PSA had been running very low to 2.5 one time. Since last March sometimes, when I last saw Urologist it went up to 4.8. I suspect since last August when they dd the last panel on blood and the reason Dr wanted to see me but VA refused until March.
From what I read here maybe everything will be alright. Thanks [emoticon]

larry cad

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/21 11:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For vets on this thread who don't know their current PSA number, if you sign onto the VA website, you can see the results of all your testing.

VA website

You will have to set it up with your personal information, and then learn how to use it, but you can order your meds, send messages to your Dr., check on all the results of your blood tests, including PSA. Always a good idea to look over ALL results.

Had prostate surgery March last year through the VA, due to agent orange exposure in Nam. Due to biopsy results, I was eligible for "brachytherapy" which is the fancy name for radioactive seeds implanted into the prostate. Not a perfect solution, but WAY better than radiation in my mind. Which treatment(s) you qualify for are determined by the results of the biopsy which generates a "gleason" number.

I ended up talking with 4 urologists to arrive at this path. Outpatient surgery with Occasional revisits. PSA was about 2.5, then it went to 11, and then 12. After 10 months, PSA is well below 4 (which is the magic number for getting professional advice)

Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/21 11:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

down home wrote:

The finger said it was on right side a nodule laterally. I think he said it was hard. Did another blood test n Monday won't get results til tomorrow. It was for Free psa and something, not free I suppose? VAA is not doing any thing because of Covid? Dr told me they would d community care and that takes time to find a Doctor. So he is sending them a referral to this Dr. Friday I see him again for the Ultra sound and biopsy or for it to be scheduled. Can't get anything done these days it takes months what should be a day sometimes. My PSA had been running very low to 2.5 one time. Since last March sometimes, when I last saw Urologist it went up to 4.8. I suspect since last August when they dd the last panel on blood and the reason Dr wanted to see me but VA refused until March.
From what I read here maybe everything will be alright. Thanks [emoticon]

Either way everything will be alright. You are being proactive and it’s a highly curable disease. Stay on top of it, and stay strong. It’s going to be alright. You got this.

pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/27/21 12:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

down home wrote:

The number is 4.8,on whatever the three letters are.
Right side nodule lateral.VA Dr says possible,means it is.
See outside Dr Friday,and scan and needle biopsy.
Anyone been through this?
How bad is 4.8?
I am not scared right now but we lost my wife's Cousin and my best friend in Sun Valley outside of Phoenix Jan 2020 from it. He endured a lot of pain and did not ever complain.We RVed together many times.
How does this cancer go so to speak?

I've been through it 10-11 years ago -> a sudden rise in PSA readings and higher than normal Gleason readings. A biopsy showed my prostate was full of agressive cancer cells.

After considering all the optons and having a scan to make sure that my bones were still cancer free, and talking to a few urologists about the pros and cons of the options ... I decided to go with what the urologists call the "gold standard" of prostate cancer treatment -> have the prostate removed.

A urologist, who taught robotics surgery to other doctors, used that kind of surgery to remove my prostate. For all the years since my PSA readings have been <0.1. My main urologist now calls me "cured" of prostate cancer.

Having it removed can have some downsides, but my urologist reminded me that the main and most important goal is to get rid of the cancer. I was fortunate to A) catch it early thanks to my GP noticing a sudden rise in my PSA readings, and B) have excellent results after choosing the gold standard treatment.

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca Spirit 24V

Acampingwewillgo

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/27/21 03:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How timely this is! I just, finally, had a MRI-Fusion ultra sound biopsy yesterday. The different approaches to biopsies today is even more confusing that what it was 10 years ago. I'm 66 and my PSA numbers have been elevated for some time. Ten years ago I thought a biopsy was happening but with a last minute blood test and PSA dropping, it didn't happen. Over the last year, the PSA has been up to 10.2, 7.7 and 5.7......take your pick! Like most, if I was going to have a biopsy, I wanted the most accurate and most pin point avaiable!
Anyways, the doctor who preformed the biopsy noted that my prostrate was enlarged( 2 to 2 1/2 times larger than normal) and given my last PSA reading, believed that number was small compared to the actual size of the prostrate. The Doc took samples from the MRI suspect area and some general samples in other areas. He felt he got a very good sampling.
Next step, my urologist will provide the results next week. Fingers crossed! The procedure itself, my first, was relatively painless and quick and so far no after procedure bleeding. Good luck to all going through this!
Oh, if your not on Flomax for urine stream....you should be, I swear by that stuff!????

* This post was edited 01/27/21 04:07pm by Acampingwewillgo *

96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/21 04:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Scottiemom wrote:

I think my DH's was 5.1 and they requested a biopsy. Do the biopsy, Regardless of your PSI being suspect, the biopsy will reveal. DH had cancer in like 7 of 9 samples taken. Because of his heart condition, it was suggested by one doctor to "wait and see." That is a death sentence. A friend did that and 10 years later he had bone cancer and even after aggressive treatment at that point, he did not survive. Since my DH could not have surgery, we went to MD Anderson in Houston (we fulltimed so it wasn't inconvenient), and he had proton beam radiation treatment. At 10 years, his PSA was starting to rise by .1 every six months. They told him if it went up more, he would have to come back for scans. Sadly he died from other problems before that had to be addressed, but he did live cancer free for those 10 years after treatment. He was 60 when diagnosed.

My BIL was just diagnosed via biopsy. He is going to have surgery.

Dale

Isn't proton beam the one where you only need one week or so of radiation rather than the 30 days?
bumpy

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing with Disabilities and Ge...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.