|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> White Out in Sierra Nevada

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
SteveAE

Bend, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/21 09:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yosemite,
Yes for 12 days in the spring of 2019.....though a much, much, longer trip than most folk do. Launched at the Hwy 12 bridge, floated 99 miles down to lake Powell, paddled a couple miles across Powell and up Willow Cyn arm, then hiked and bushwhacked (ugly bushwhacking BTW) up Willow Creek about 3 miles to our truck that we had parked off Hole-in-the-Rock road. Amazing trip. Since this is a RV forum, folks might be curious what we did with our RV (travel trailer) while on the river. We simply left it at the large dispersion area just south of Hwy 12 on Hole-in-the-Rock road (great spot to base from when exploring the area, BTW). When we go into the backcountry like this (which is as often as we can) I leave a note on the trailer door saying who we are, where we plan to be, when we plan to return, along with my In-Reach number should a LEO (cop) need to reach us. I realize that some folks wouldn't be comfortable advertising that they are gone like this. But it's only stuff and the important things are with me (my wife, my dog and me) and I think it is good for LEO's to know what's up when they drive by a seemingly abandoned RV. Hoping to do it again this spring....though maybe try to get a powerboat lift back to Bullfrog marina (and a longggg road shuttle back to Escalante) rather than hump our butts, camping and boating gear out of that canyon again. Pray for snow throughout the west.

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/27/21 09:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SteveAE wrote:

Yosemite,
Yes for 12 days in the spring of 2019.....though a much, much, longer trip than most folk do. Launched at the Hwy 12 bridge, floated 99 miles down to lake Powell, paddled a couple miles across Powell and up Willow Cyn arm, then hiked and bushwhacked (ugly bushwhacking BTW) up Willow Creek about 3 miles to our truck that we had parked off Hole-in-the-Rock road. Amazing trip. Since this is a RV forum, folks might be curious what we did with our RV (travel trailer) while on the river. We simply left it at the large dispersion area just south of Hwy 12 on Hole-in-the-Rock road (great spot to base from when exploring the area, BTW). When we go into the backcountry like this (which is as often as we can) I leave a note on the trailer door saying who we are, where we plan to be, when we plan to return, along with my In-Reach number should a LEO (cop) need to reach us. I realize that some folks wouldn't be comfortable advertising that they are gone like this. But it's only stuff and the important things are with me (my wife, my dog and me) and I think it is good for LEO's to know what's up when they drive by a seemingly abandoned RV. Hoping to do it again this spring....though maybe try to get a powerboat lift back to Bullfrog marina (and a longggg road shuttle back to Escalante) rather than hump our butts, camping and boating gear out of that canyon again. Pray for snow throughout the west.

Wow, nice adventure. Thanks for sharing!

S Davis

Western WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/28/21 04:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I remember living in South Lake Tahoe in the winter of 1983, we got 65” in a 24 hour period and had about 168” in a three day period, we were climbing out second story windows that year. We ended up with over 44 feet of snow that year.

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 01/28/21 04:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wel, the water was looking a little low at Hoover Dam this year. Maybe this will help.

blaczero

USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/28/21 05:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donner_Party

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/28/21 06:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reisender wrote:

Well, that’s gotta be good for some of the lake and water reservoirs.

Yep.

Snow pack as of a few days ago was way below normal. The water level behind the Oroville Dam is pretty low as seen in this video.

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2009 Arctic Fox 811 (bought new 11/9/09)
2018 Timber Ridge 24RLS (bought pre-owned 3/12/20)
2008 Haulmark 8.5x20 toy box trailer

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/29/21 10:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good or bad news.

Atmospheric river dumped 14 inches of rainfall in California last night.

I-80 from Sacramento to Nevada closed and so is 395 to Bishop.

Yose-might is closed but those who are trapped inside sent out lovely pictures (that's in my Yosemite forum).

* This post was edited 01/29/21 10:37am by Yosemite Sam1 *

Blazing Zippers

North Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/01/21 10:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I love Juan's videos! If that man had been a teacher when I was in school, I would have been much smarterer.
As for the snow dump over Donner/Truckee, this is kind of like the good 'ol days-long ago. Interestingly, this spring will bring lots of "for sale" signs out due to second home owners leaving the area.
The last year we lived there, we had 8 feet of pack in our yard at the end of April and 16 feet still at the base of the resort I patrolled at. Good times!!
As for North Idaho--51 degrees here today. Shorts & sandals weather.

joshuajim

Mojave Desert

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/02/21 10:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

S Davis wrote:

I remember living in South Lake Tahoe in the winter of 1983, we got 65” in a 24 hour period and had about 168” in a three day period, we were climbing out second story windows that year. We ended up with over 44 feet of snow that year.

Reminds me of a ski trip my brother took to Mammoth on a Presidents Day 3 day ski trip about the same time. Bus arrived in Mammoth about 2:00 AM in a heavy snow. He went to condo and by morning there was 2’ of snow on the ground. Stayed in the condo hoping it would subside. He spent 3 days in the condo as the snow continued to accumulate. By the third day, the snow was higher than the sliding glass door!

Got back on the bus and headed home. Great ski trip [emoticon]

RVing since 1995.

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/02/21 10:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Blazing Zippers wrote:

I love Juan's videos! If that man had been a teacher when I was in school, I would have been much smarterer.
As for the snow dump over Donner/Truckee, this is kind of like the good 'ol days-long ago. Interestingly, this spring will bring lots of "for sale" signs out due to second home owners leaving the area.
The last year we lived there, we had 8 feet of pack in our yard at the end of April and 16 feet still at the base of the resort I patrolled at. Good times!!
As for North Idaho--51 degrees here today. Shorts & sandals weather.

I was in Lake Tahoe area and looked at the real estate listing one particularly in the high mountains.

The real. estate agent I talked to asked me if it will be my vacation home. I answered it will be my main residence as we are retiring. He looked at me funny and it says everything.

I'm seeing that now as we eventually bought somewhere with less snow but still go there to marvel at 10-feet of accumulated snow on both sides of the pathway to some houses.

* This post was edited 02/02/21 10:37am by Yosemite Sam1 *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> White Out in Sierra Nevada
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.