RV.Net Open Roads Forum: You have 13 yrs 11 mths left to buy a GM gas or dsl vehicle

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> You have 13 yrs 11 mths left to buy a GM gas or dsl vehicle

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 24  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
otrfun

On The Road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/29/21 04:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

* This post was edited 01/30/21 06:36am by otrfun *

rlw999

Washington State

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/21 04:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

No more rolling coal? So not going to miss that.

Well yeah, but think how cool it will be when people rig their EV's to shoot out lightning bolts!

spoon059

Just north of D.C.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/29/21 04:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reisender wrote:

Did you mean 2000 mile round trip? A 200 mile round trip can be fine by pretty much every EV on the North American market with no charging. Typo?
\
Oops, yes, 2000 mile.

2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Retired JSO

North Georgia Mountains

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/21 06:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Did any of y’all read the article? It clearly states light duty vehicles. Like a Chevy Colorado Prius.

MikeRP

Westerville

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/29/21 06:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So everyone,

We will need a major breakthrough in battery technology to achieve nirvana. Look at the mining required now to acquire enough rare earth metals to power the batteries we have now. The damage to the environment from this mining is frankly just ridiculous. Look it up. I’m not sure we even have a net positive environmental benefit from batteries right now.

Now they are working on new technologies for batteries and there are rumors of technologies that will provide that breakthrough without the destruction of the environment we see now. We can’t power the US with the technology we have now for batteries. No way.

Solar is good for peaking energy. Wind really is not good on the electric grid. The total cost for wind never shows the large generators that are on line to deal with the variations in power output and East of the Mississippi a large part of the energy comes off peak. Dealing w repair of these units is also an expensive treat. I’m not a fan at all of wind for electric generation.

T Boone Pickens had the right idea, take windmills out in the windiest places and make hydrogen. Develop new pipelines to use for transportation uses and you can mix a small percentage of hydrogen with natural gas, I think 5%. So the windmills are inefficient and the black box to make hydrogen is inefficient, but who cares? The wind is free.

A lot of smaller gas turbines can run on hydrogen, w modifications now, and I’m pretty sure the big boys, Siemens and GE, are working on using hydrogen in their largest most efficient gas fired generation units.

Now this would keep our Cummins a cookin and the Middle East can drown in their oil.

So what I’m saying is using wind to make hydrogen makes sense, using it for electric generation just doesn’t work well.

Hydroelectric power could be used to make hydrogen also. Point is use green power to make green power that is more usable at this time.

Like I said batteries need a major breakthrough in storage capacity and manufacturing that doesn’t destroy our environment. I think it will happen. And we could use hydrogen and battery storage as the basis for transportation and then use new small nuclear plants presently used in our warships for localized mid to large needs for electric generation. We can also use natural gas and hydrogen as needed for generation.

Peace

MikeRP

Westerville

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/29/21 06:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One last thing, there a lot of smart folks out there working on our electric generation, transmission and distribution systems. Some of these jobs are very dangerous. And unfortunately many folks do lose their life every year in this industry. But our grid is extremely reliable and is undergoing huge upgrades now. Most people don’t understand when they flip on that switch to watch TV or play on their favorite game system, there are many people there 24 hours a day providing that power on demand.

They certainly deserve our respect. Check out the fallen linemen organization on facebook.

* This post was edited 01/29/21 07:01pm by MikeRP *

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/21 07:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MikeRP wrote:

One last thing, there a lot of smart folks out there working on our electric generation, transmission and distribution systems. Some of these jobs are very dangerous. And unfortunately many folks do lose their life every year in this industry. But our grid is extremely reliable and is undergoing huge upgrades now. Most people don’t understand when they flip on that switch to watch TV or play on their favorite game system, there are many people there 24 hours a day providing that power on demand.

They certainly deserve our respect. Check out the fallen linemen organization on facebook.

That’s a fact.

We'll See

IL

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/21 07:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wouldn't one of the better solutions be that the vehicles themselves were somehow solar panels? Why can't the hood, roof, upper quarter panels, etc have built in seamless solar panels so they charge all day? Think about many of the vehicles that sit baking in the sun and clouds all day while people are at work. Why couldn't the vehicle capture all that solar power.

And when vehicles are move? Why couldn't they incorporate some type of attractive micro wind turbines that would capture wind energy from a vehicle moving forward?

Evolution in these areas would make vehicles more self sufficient and less reliant on charging at night or whenever parked. And it would make less reliance on the government or other third parties to provide energy to the vehicle.

I'm about to buy a new ICE vehicle but I would be very interested in buying an electric vehicle for my wife and kids. However, I think the teslas and other EVs are frickin ugly just like the Prius.

Sold - 1994 Flagstaff Cobra 206
2017 F150 SCREW 2.7 Ecoboost
2007 Honda Odyssey
Sold - 2007 Chevy Trailblazer - 5.3 & 3.42
Lund Boat

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/21 08:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We'll See wrote:

Wouldn't one of the better solutions be that the vehicles themselves were somehow solar panels? Why can't the hood, roof, upper quarter panels, etc have built in seamless solar panels so they charge all day? Think about many of the vehicles that sit baking in the sun and clouds all day while people are at work. Why couldn't the vehicle capture all that solar power.

And when vehicles are move? Why couldn't they incorporate some type of attractive micro wind turbines that would capture wind energy from a vehicle moving forward?

Evolution in these areas would make vehicles more self sufficient and less reliant on charging at night or whenever parked. And it would make less reliance on the government or other third parties to provide energy to the vehicle.

I'm about to buy a new ICE vehicle but I would be very interested in buying an electric vehicle for my wife and kids. However, I think the teslas and other EVs are frickin ugly just like the Prius.

There is one manufacturer that is integrating solar panels into their vehicle but I believe it is a three wheeler. They claim they can collect enough power for a daily commute everyday. Interesting. I can't remember the name but it was in the news recently.

Yah. A Tesla is not every bodies cup of tee and the interior is super stark. But that's their thing. I kinda like the simplicity of the inside as well as the classic sports sedan look from the outside.

[image]

[image]

Anyway. If you are looking for a nice looking EV look up a Jaguar I-pace. In my opinion best looking EV on the market inside and outside. Good performer too. I use to have a picture on Flickr but can't seem to find it.

Cheers.

rlw999

Washington State

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/21 08:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We'll See wrote:

I don't know where you park, but I park in my garage at home and a garage at work, so my car wouldn't collect much energy. And half the year, half my commute is in the dark.

But Hyundai did embed solar panels on their Hybrid car - they say it can generate "up to" 2.2 miles of energy a day if parked in the sun all day. If my commute was only 1.2 miles each way, I'd just walk. It'd be much more effective to install solar panels in the parking lot since they are in the sun all day and can be tilted into the sun for better efficiency.

Quote:

There's no free lunch. Generating energy from wind causes more drag -- every KW of energy generated from the wind is going to cause more than a KW of drag, it's a net energy loss.

Quote:

You could straddle the line and instead of going full electric, get a Hybrid or plug in hybrid. But in any case, there are at least a dozen EV's to choose from in 2021, from Tesla, Nissan, Honda, BMW, Jaguar, Porsche, Audi and more. Surely you can find one EV that you like.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 24  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> You have 13 yrs 11 mths left to buy a GM gas or dsl vehicle
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.