RV.Net Open Roads Forum: You have 13 yrs 11 mths left to buy a GM gas or dsl vehicle

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> You have 13 yrs 11 mths left to buy a GM gas or dsl vehicle

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 24  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
rlw999

Washington State

View Profile

Posted: 01/31/21 02:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SPRey wrote:

Don't EV require between 50-100 kWh to fully charge the battery (0-100%)? Multiply that by 100 million, and it is "danger danger Will Robinson".

There are over 200M gas/diesel powered cars in the USA today - if all of them tried to fill up their tanks in one day, they'd consume more than the world's total output of oil.

That doesn't happen, of course, for the same reason that not all EV's will need to charge a completely depleted battery every day.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/31/21 02:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes I still meet people that think the EV charges continuously when plugged in.
They seem to be very surprised when I tell them the charging stops and the wall unit turns off power completely.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 01/31/21 02:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reisender wrote:

Well, it comes down to GM (and other companies) speculating on wether there will still be a market for anything with a tailpipe in 2035. Does GM sell vehicles in Western Europe. I actually don’t know. But I can guarantee you, in 13 years and 11 months nobody in western Europe is going to be interested in buying some stinky high maintenance expensive to run ancient technology clunky gasser with a tail pipe vehicle. We travel a lot in Europe, and the people in cities already hate vehicles with tail pipes and many down town areas are already closed to any vehicle with a tail pipe.

Like I say. I have no idea if GM sells vehicles in Europe so not sure if this is relevant.

Well, no you can't guarantee anything. It's possible that ICE will be out of favor by the deadline, but it's also possible there will be issues cropping up in the next 15 years that preclude complete changeover to EV.

Since I doubt you are actually omniscient or even prescient, trying to guarantee statements made by governments is impossible.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

RoyJ

Vancouver, BC

View Profile

Posted: 01/31/21 02:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We should all agree for 95 - 99% of daily use, EVs are completely adequate. This will be the future whether we like it or not.

However, there will always be enthusiast uses for IC engine:

- I love LONG back-country overlanding. It's nearly impossible to bring a large enough battery pack. I'll stay with my old truck, or bring a big tank of diesel and 240V generator

- I love the sound and feel of IC engine in my sportscar. No, I will not take simulated screaming V8 through a Bose

- Long range boating / offshore fishing. Unlike cars, planning boats are extremely power hungry. I just don't see any battery tech that can replace 600 gallons worth of gasoline within 20 years. Motors aren't the problem.

Most enthusiasts though, will own multiple cars. We can have an EV doing commuting duty, and save IC for "special occasions"

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/31/21 03:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't think we will ever stop burning all hydrocarbons. Although much could eventually stop. We are still picking the low hanging fruit.

TomG2

Central Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 01/31/21 03:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

I don't think we will ever stop burning all hydrocarbons. Although much could eventually stop. We are still picking the low hanging fruit.

Agreed, let future generations figure out where it all went. Cheap energy is good for us now. It will last forever.

(Might want to look up the definition of "finite")

rjstractor

Maple Valley, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/31/21 07:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RoyJ wrote:

We should all agree for 95 - 99% of daily use, EVs are completely adequate. This will be the future whether we like it or not.

However, there will always be enthusiast uses for IC engine:

- I love LONG back-country overlanding. It's nearly impossible to bring a large enough battery pack. I'll stay with my old truck, or bring a big tank of diesel and 240V generator

- I love the sound and feel of IC engine in my sportscar. No, I will not take simulated screaming V8 through a Bose

- Long range boating / offshore fishing. Unlike cars, planning boats are extremely power hungry. I just don't see any battery tech that can replace 600 gallons worth of gasoline within 20 years. Motors aren't the problem.

Most enthusiasts though, will own multiple cars. We can have an EV doing commuting duty, and save IC for "special occasions"

Yep, no doubt I will own an EV some day but gas is never going away completely from my life. Harley's Livewire is a neat bike and will eat my Heritage Softail for lunch (at least in a drag race) but the sound and soul of that V-twin can't be replaced.

nickthehunter

Southgate, MI

View Profile

Posted: 01/31/21 07:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’ll just leave this here. Link Re: batteries

free radical

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/31/21 07:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mining for Lithium is substantialy less harmful then driling for oil.
And cobalt is used for refining gasoline btw !

https://eepower.com/new-industry-product........-a-cobalt-free-silicon-battery-solution/

“Simple is hard,” Musk addressed shareholders on Battery Day on creating Tesla’s 4680 battery cell.
Essentially a rolled-up copper material allows for a shorter distance for electrons to travel to reduce resistance, heat, components, and manufacturing costs.
Tesla announced that they are already integrating the new batteries into EVs.
Tesla is moving away from cobalt materials and plans to mine for Lithium in Nevada, where there is a vast amount of lithium that can be found in clay.

blofgren

Surrey, B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 01/31/21 08:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley wrote:

The funny thing about all of this is GM is late to the party. They can reach there goal but they are already playing catch up.
I imagine the GM people have driven a Tesla and come to the realization the ICE is done. Tesla has changed the game. The big boys are scrambling to exit the ICE business and develop there own EV plans.
I've said it in a few other threads but I'll say it again. Personally drive a Tesla if you get a chance and you'll understand the revolution is here. The game has changed. The technology is jaw dropping. Drive a Tesla and you will immediate realize/understand the ICE is obsolete.
It's no longer if , or how, or can we. The only question is when and how soon!
I imagine cowboys, stage coach drivers and those who rode horses had the same reaction to the model T as the current naysayers have to the Tesla.

I totally agree. Our neighbours bought a Tesla last year and I was absolutely blown away when they took me for a ride in it. Completely different animal than a vehicle with an ICE.

2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, RAM 20k sliding hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 24  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> You have 13 yrs 11 mths left to buy a GM gas or dsl vehicle
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.