RV.Net Open Roads Forum: You have 13 yrs 11 mths left to buy a GM gas or dsl vehicle

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > You have 13 yrs 11 mths left to buy a GM gas or dsl vehicle

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 24  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

Senior Member

Joined: 03/28/2018

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 01/30/21 04:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bluhorn wrote:

Electric vehicles are here to stay and will actually make in roads into combustion engine areas. There is always going to be some market for the Gas and Diesel engine. Let the market decide,dont mandate it. Tesla gave EV a big boost because they manufactured a decent choice, something with style and performance. The previous bunch of electric cars were ugly as sin. I wouldnt drive one but I would a Tesla. Plus they pushed the charging stations. Now we are seeing electric pickups which we need. They are not for everybody but people will seriously look at them as more variations are brought out.


GM is seeing the market for ICE gone or no longer profitable by 2035.

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

Senior Member

Joined: 03/28/2018

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 01/30/21 06:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

spoon059 wrote:

mich800 wrote:

I just wish they would keep this "carbon neutral" bs out of the discussion. Just because you purchase credits that allow pollution what is really being solved?

Political expediency and many pats on the back. None of this is solving anything, its just making the environmentalists feel good about themselves.



GM surely won't be stopping their ICE lines just to make environmentalists happy.

Or, any car manufacturer for that matter -- and as you can see they are tripping into each other going into EV..

Timmo!

South-central Oregon...on the river

Senior Member

Joined: 03/10/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 01/30/21 06:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

SPRey wrote:

California is the 3rd largest electricity producer--behind Texas and Florida, and #1 in solar, geothermal and biomass) has rolling blackouts every summer because the demand for electricity exceeds production.
You keep repeating this lie. Please provide a link.


Guess I am also your research assistant...lol.

In 2018, California had a total summer capacity of 75,926 MW through all of its power plants, and a net energy generation of 195,265 GWh. Its electricity production was the third largest in the nation behind Texas and Florida. California ranks first in the nation as a producer of solar, geothermal, and biomass resources. Utility-scale solar photovoltaic and thermal sources together generated 13.8% of electricity in 2018. Small-scale solar including customer-owned PV panels delivered an additional net 12,919 GWh to California's electrical grid, equal to about half the generation by the state's utility-scale facilities.

Liberal leaning Wiki https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_power_stations_in_California

Timmo!

South-central Oregon...on the river

Senior Member

Joined: 03/10/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 01/30/21 06:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reisender wrote:

SPRey wrote:

Don't EV require between 50-100 kWh to fully charge the battery (0-100%)? Multiply that by 100 million, and it is "danger danger Will Robinson".


Good morning. No. A typical commute in North America is about 50 KM or roughly 8 KW of power. Equate it to your gas tank. You may have a 20 gallon tank but do you fill it every day? Probably not. The most commonly sold EV's now have 400 to 550 kilometers of range so they may only charge once a week. Or every night for an hour.

This is why power companies are not worried about the immediate impact on neighborhood infrastructure. Many who buy an electric car just charge with the 120 volt 15 amp receptacle in their driveway or garage. We did that for a couple years with no issues. We eventually upgraded...just because. But it really made no difference. The car still charges between 1 and 5 in the morning, its just done charging after 45 minutes now. [emoticon]

We have since sold this car, but it was my daily commuter for years. You can see it connected to our soffit christmas light 120 volt 15 amp outlet.

[image]


I am not referring to commuting, rather "filling up a battery". Is this statement incorrect?

Don't EV require between 50-100 kWh to fully charge the battery (0-100%)?

I have been known to drive a thousand miles a week (50k a year) and as little as 6k a year. Driving is situational and personal. My point is, it takes a lot of juice for 100 million people to charge their batteries. The demand will exceed capacity and, just like California, the power company will have rolling black outs. No power = no juice to charge battery.

time2roll

Southern California

Senior Member

Joined: 03/21/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 01/30/21 07:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SPRey wrote:

time2roll wrote:

SPRey wrote:

California is the 3rd largest electricity producer--behind Texas and Florida, and #1 in solar, geothermal and biomass) has rolling blackouts every summer because the demand for electricity exceeds production.
You keep repeating this lie. Please provide a link.


Guess I am also your research assistant...lol.

In 2018, California had a total summer capacity of 75,926 MW through all of its power plants, and a net energy generation of 195,265 GWh. Its electricity production was the third largest in the nation behind Texas and Florida. California ranks first in the nation as a producer of solar, geothermal, and biomass resources. Utility-scale solar photovoltaic and thermal sources together generated 13.8% of electricity in 2018. Small-scale solar including customer-owned PV panels delivered an additional net 12,919 GWh to California's electrical grid, equal to about half the generation by the state's utility-scale facilities.

Liberal leaning Wiki https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_power_stations_in_California


The rolling blackouts every summer due to inadequate supply I have trouble with.

California has first rolling blackouts in 19 years

And 19 years ago it was part of the entanglement with Enron


2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Reisender

NA

Senior Member

Joined: 12/09/2018

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/30/21 07:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SPRey wrote:

Reisender wrote:

SPRey wrote:

Don't EV require between 50-100 kWh to fully charge the battery (0-100%)? Multiply that by 100 million, and it is "danger danger Will Robinson".


Good morning. No. A typical commute in North America is about 50 KM or roughly 8 KW of power. Equate it to your gas tank. You may have a 20 gallon tank but do you fill it every day? Probably not. The most commonly sold EV's now have 400 to 550 kilometers of range so they may only charge once a week. Or every night for an hour.

This is why power companies are not worried about the immediate impact on neighborhood infrastructure. Many who buy an electric car just charge with the 120 volt 15 amp receptacle in their driveway or garage. We did that for a couple years with no issues. We eventually upgraded...just because. But it really made no difference. The car still charges between 1 and 5 in the morning, its just done charging after 45 minutes now. [emoticon]

We have since sold this car, but it was my daily commuter for years. You can see it connected to our soffit christmas light 120 volt 15 amp outlet.

[image]


I am not referring to commuting, rather "filling up a battery". Is this statement incorrect?

Don't EV require between 50-100 kWh to fully charge the battery (0-100%)?

I have been known to drive a thousand miles a week (50k a year) and as little as 6k a year. Driving is situational and personal. My point is, it takes a lot of juice for 100 million people to charge their batteries. The demand will exceed capacity and, just like California, the power company will have rolling black outs. No power = no juice to charge battery.


Sorry. Just not following the logic. People are not going to go home every night and fill a 100 KW battery unless everybody in the nation drives 600 km per day.

Power companies like B.C. hydro are expecting light vehicle EV usage (pickups, cars, SUV’s ) yo add about 19 percent load to the grid over the next 30 years. Easy for any modern nation to achieve.

European countries are already dealing with this as their EV adaption rates are much higher than North America.

Personally I’m going to let BC hydro worry about it. They seem to have it well in hand.

time2roll

Southern California

Senior Member

Joined: 03/21/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 01/30/21 07:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CA has unused solar and wind due to curtailments every day. We need EVs to use this available power.

http://www.caiso.com/informed/Pages/ManagingOversupply.aspx#dailyCurtailment

nickthehunter

Southgate, MI

Senior Member

Joined: 07/18/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/31/21 07:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As far as I”m concerned, most of this thread is pure garbage. Claims of all types are backed up by nothing. My dad told me “if it seems to good to be true, it probably isn’t. When I read posts like this thread where people are boasting about all the supposed Benefits, I keep tripping over the fact that all these claims and boasts are accompanied by links to reliable sources. And so when I discard everything the has no backup, I’m left with 12 pages of an entertaining science fiction novel.

I suspect the truth is a wildly different story then the one predicted here, with a hell of a lot more zeroes behind the ultimate price tag.

TomG2

Central Illinois

Senior Member

Joined: 03/07/2004

View Profile



Posted: 01/31/21 07:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pick a year. 2040, 2060, 2080. At some time oil will become scarce and expensive. Won't affect those on here knocking renewable energy now but will matter to their grandchildren and future generations. Denial will not change the outcome.

Reisender

NA

Senior Member

Joined: 12/09/2018

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/31/21 08:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

nickthehunter wrote:

As far as I”m concerned, most of this thread is pure garbage. Claims of all types are backed up by nothing. My dad told me “if it seems to good to be true, it probably isn’t. When I read posts like this thread where people are boasting about all the supposed Benefits, I keep tripping over the fact that all these claims and boasts are accompanied by links to reliable sources. And so when I discard everything the has no backup, I’m left with 12 pages of an entertaining science fiction novel.

I suspect the truth is a wildly different story then the one predicted here, with a hell of a lot more zeroes behind the ultimate price tag.


Well, it comes down to GM (and other companies) speculating on wether there will still be a market for anything with a tailpipe in 2035. Does GM sell vehicles in Western Europe. I actually don’t know. But I can guarantee you, in 13 years and 11 months nobody in western Europe is going to be interested in buying some stinky high maintenance expensive to run ancient technology clunky gasser with a tail pipe vehicle. We travel a lot in Europe, and the people in cities already hate vehicles with tail pipes and many down town areas are already closed to any vehicle with a tail pipe.

Like I say. I have no idea if GM sells vehicles in Europe so not sure if this is relevant.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 24  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > You have 13 yrs 11 mths left to buy a GM gas or dsl vehicle
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.