|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Need an Education

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
jeromep

Eastern Washington State

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/28/21 09:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have an older Class A gasser and to be honest I don't try to idle long with it, however if I'm getting set up, I need the engine on to run my jacks. Once I'm level I'll shut it down. When getting ready to leave, it kind of depends on the time of year. In the summer I will pretty much fold everything up and disconnect with the engine off and only start up when I'm ready to pull up my jacks and head out. In the fall/winter or a really cold morning where I have to get going early, I'll start the engine a bit earlier to get a little bit of a warm up and get some dash heat going, but again, not more than 5 minutes of idling. Also note, I drop my jacks onto pads, so I have some in and out of the rig while the engine is running to set my jacks, and when I get ready to go, there is in and out again for the purpose of retrieving my pads. All of this while idling.

DPs have many more considerations, they are quite a bit more complex than a gasser, and diesels have different needs, notably air systems have to be charged up, exhaust and turbo temps are something that have to be considered, too, especially at shut down. Also, diesels run better when warm. Starting a diesel and driving away with it bone cold is generally not advisable unless you have no other choice and just have to go right now.

I think there are some out there that are excessive idlers, but everyone has their reasons and maybe we won't agree with it, but we can't change it either. Sorry to hear you are leaving the road, but everything has a time and place. Best wishes on settling down.

robatthelake

Vancouver Island

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/29/21 02:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a Diesel pusher with air brakes and air spring suspension! It’s now old enough to vote born in 1998!

I too agree that some people idle their rigs far too long both coming in or going out!

I am not one of those people, but the actual length of time it takes to get underway depends on how long it takes to build up air pressure!

What really bothers me is when some idiot pulls out of their campsite then let’s it idle while hooking up their tow car! Totally unnecessary .

Rob & Jean
98 Dutch Star Diesel Pusher ..07 Honda CRV AWD

wa8yxm

Davison Michigan (East of Flint)

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/21 04:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In days of old when folks where bold.....
Diesel engines needed a good long warm up time.. Gasoline engines, however, if allowed to idle for too long fouled and ran bad.. They needed to RUN. not idle.

Today... Thanks to many things including government regulations

Letting a Diesel engine idle for long times fouls the engine so it does not run right. Increases exhaust emissions and otherwise does bad things.

Fuel injected computer controlled gasoline engines can idle all day.

SOME. have learned this. But many RVers are older folks who learned in their Teens, as I did, and never bothered to re-learn... Others.. Well clearly I relearned.

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

William B

On the road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/29/21 04:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a DP and as far as leaving a site, we start the engine and then disconnect water, sewer, and electric, usually in the time that takes we come up on the air enough to bring in the slides. We bring in the slides which takes another couple minutes and idle out. It does take almost 10 minutes in all. We can't move our slides until we are fully up on the air. As far as pulling in, we turn off the engine to extend the slides but then need to start it again to level, but that only takes a minute unless very unlevel site. Idling into the campground cools the engine enough to shut down.

Full timing since 2004
2007 Holiday Rambler Navigator 45' DD Series 60
2019 Dodge Ram 1500 Limited

Our Blog

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/21 05:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No reason other the macho/ego idea of hearing their engine run (even more somwith the diesel guys)!
As far as cooling down the turbo......by the time you get to the campground and drive to the campsite it's already cooled down. In he morning same thing, by the time you get to the main road it's warmed up. It does need to idle a bit to fill the air tanks and suspension.

With that said, I was in a gas station one time and watched a lifted diesel truck pull in from t of the store, idle up the straight pipe exhaust and go inside for 10 minutes! Oh ya, it was 40 degrees outside! Thentruck was new enough that it wasn't a hard starting diesel and could've been shut down altogether. Some people just don't know much at all!

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/29/21 06:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wa8yxm wrote:

In days of old when folks where bold.....
Diesel engines needed a good long warm up time.. Gasoline engines, however, if allowed to idle for too long fouled and ran bad.. They needed to RUN. not idle.

If anything, it was the opposite:
- Diesel engines (particularly old slow turning ones) are so efficient at idle, they tend not to warm up. They are burning so little fuel and pulling in lots of cold air that it takes forever to get up to operating temps (in cold weather they may never). Far better to just pull out and keep the acceleration gentle for the first few minutes till the engine warms up.
- Gas engines (old carburated ones) needed to get warmed up a bit to avoid stalling. Unless you were leaving them sit for hours idling, as soon as you took it out on the freeway towing, any fouling would quickly burn off.

A lot of MHs run the engine longer than they need to but they do need to bring the air system up to pressure. No experience but I have heard that some get pinhole leaks. They will come up to pressure but it takes a lot longer as it has to overcome the slow leak.

5th wheels...We often leave it running until fully unhooked. Sometimes that will take 5 minutes.

But really, other than curiosity, who cares.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/29/21 06:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not a diesel owner but I can understand some of the issues. If it is a fact that you need to run the engine to pull in slides versus just have the switch on, then fine. On my gasser this is not required. I also understand pulling in slides before unhooking water, sewer as it helps remove back of head damage, and strain on knees.

The ones that get me are diesels that sound like a bunch of bolts rattling in a can that you can hear from across the campground.

Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

Rick Jay

Greater Springfield area, MA

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/21 07:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

luvmydogs,

You asked: "Also, why do you need the motor to be running to get slides in?"

I know on my gasser, with the engine running, the slides get an extra boost of voltage and retract with less strain, especially the heavy main slide. They won't extend if the engine is running, though, but extending doesn't require as much power because the slide doesn't have to be "lifted" first. I'm assuming for some diesels the same would be true.

But I agree, I don't know why folks will idle their rigs for long periods of time. In cold or hot months, perhaps they're doing it for the heat or A/C? I figure it's their rig, let 'em do what they want.

Oh, and I think some guys just love to hear the rumble of their diesels! LOL

~Rick

* This post was edited 01/30/21 05:21pm by Rick Jay *

2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (24-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (20), 2 boys (21 & 18).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/21 08:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A couple of thoughts. I would guess that most people doing it aren't trying to intentionally annoy anyone and there could be a very valid reason. I doubt it's very common. I know I haven't really seen this as a widespread issue but it might just seem that way at the time. I have come to learn as I get older, most folks aren't nearly as considerate as I want them to be. Guilty as charged myself on occasion. It doesn't mean it's malicious. I would ask, why it bothers you so much, or more pointedly, why you let it bother you? While we can't control other people, we can control how we react to them. Life is short. Pick your battles.

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

folivier

Southeast Louisiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/29/21 08:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 1999 Foretravel doesn't have slides but does use the airbag suspension for leveling. So when arriving I'll have to idle until I'm level. If I had slides like in my previous coach I'd have to leave it running to extend my slides while at ride height. Then level. After that I could turn off the engine. Same sequence when departing. Start engine, let air up to ride height (if slides then pull them in), then pull out. This does take a few minutes each time and is necessary.
As far as letting the engine and turbo, aftercooler, etc. cool down this is usually done just idling driving to my site. Not all motorhomes need the same sequence.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Need an Education
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.