|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Need an Education

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Executive

California/Arizona/South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 01/30/21 11:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

luvmydogs wrote:

snip/ Thank all of you who DID explain why you leave your rigs running. We had no idea jacks and slides needed the motors on, and learned alot more about the big rigs we also didnt know, so thank all of you FRIENDLY rv'ers who didnt tell me why I posted here at all. I got more of an education than I needed.Thank you

Perhaps, if you brewed a quick cup of coffee and visited the neighbor who left his rig running and was seated, you'd get more of an education of the foibles of diesel coaches. You might also meet a new 'friend'. Afterall, aren't we all proud of our rigs? I have no issue making new acquaintances at whatever campground we are at. Perhaps he was having an issue with his coach and could have used your assistance. Meeting people and being friendly is what rving is all about. Get out and start enjoying life and all it has to offer....Dennis

We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

GIB2

Welland

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/31/21 10:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would like to share some thoughts. First older diesels rattle severely and of course also quite loud. They also spew black exhaust and smell badly. Newer diesels that haven't been tuned or DEF delete don't smoke ,smell and all three if stock are extremely quiet.
My new 2020 Duramax has a larger rad, larger fan and new improved oil cooler.
The manual states if you have been working hard to let the engine idle at least 10 Minutes. If you shut it down to early it will automatically start itself back up. As previously mentioned to hot of oil will take the bearings out of the turbo and the vanes rub the case and the debris goes through the engine. that results in $20,000 for an engine.
On behalf of the big diesel pushers the air pressure gauge only shows what is in the primary and secondary tanks. It is not fully charged that fast as it still has to fill brake chambers etc . Spring brakes start to come on at 60 psi .but they don't release at 60 psi. Many States have no manditory air brake endorsement so you have to bear with the procedure they go with.

luvmydogs

Ct

View Profile

Posted: 01/31/21 02:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow the big rigs certainly have more to know than 5th wheels or travel trailers. Thanks for the info. I keep looking at all them and are amazed how many there are. Other than the gorgeous paint jobs, the one word that always comes to mind in capital letters is BIG. To me they are just big. Which when in it would be wonderful but I am a panic pulling a small trailer, I think I'd be a mess on the road with one of those. I'm jealous of you all who can drive them so easily.

jeromep

Eastern Washington State

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/01/21 01:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

luvmydogs wrote:

Wow the big rigs certainly have more to know than 5th wheels or travel trailers. Thanks for the info. I keep looking at all them and are amazed how many there are. Other than the gorgeous paint jobs, the one word that always comes to mind in capital letters is BIG. To me they are just big. Which when in it would be wonderful but I am a panic pulling a small trailer, I think I'd be a mess on the road with one of those. I'm jealous of you all who can drive them so easily.

Depending on if you are driving a DP or a gasser (rear axle placement has an effect on handling), you get used to things like tail swing, turning radius, and having a "sense" of where your rear end is when backing up or in tight quarters. Cameras help a lot, and new rigs have lots of them. Older ones are lucky to have a rear camera. The folks driving the big ones do a lot of route planning. When you are that big you don't drive anywhere without a plan. And you gain a certain amount of realistic expectation in terms of the amount of ground you can cover in a day and where you can actually camp vs. where you would ideally like to camp.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Need an Education
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.