RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Autosocks (chain replacements) Experience

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Autosocks (chain replacements) Experience

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
brholt

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 01/28/21 07:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have been carrying a set of Autosocks for 7+ years now in case I needed to ”chain up” and to satisfy the requirements of carrying chains on some passes. Since they weigh so little and take up so little space I just keep them in the truck all the time. Up to now I have never had to use them.

We are in a 7,000 mile trip heading home and stopped at a Harvest Host farm in the California Mountains. The day before we arrived they had a lot of snow dumped on them (California 58 was closed) but when we arrived it was sunny and 40 degrees. The long driveway was covered in snow with a cow path from a few vehicles. We had no problem with our F350 DRW carrying an AF1150 making it through the snow to our parking place.

That night it rained a little and then the temperature dipped to 20 degrees. By morning it had risen to 33 degrees. Not surprisingly the driveway out was very icy and when I went to check it out I had trouble walking on it, especially the long uphill segment. I was very concerned if I could make it up even in 4 wheel low gear.

I decided to put on the Autosocks on the outer rears, Having used chains before I was pleasantly shocked at how easy they went on. I put it in 4 wheel low and we just drove up the driveway without any slippage. It was trivial to take them off and I shook them off and put them in the floor of the camper to dry off while we drove. Later I put them back in their bag.

I don’t know, I suppose I could have made it up the hill without them, but I don’t think so, certainly not without some slippage. Given their small size and how impressed I was with them and their ease of use I am going to buy another pair for the front tires.

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 01/28/21 08:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the report.

I looked at them and couldn't talk myself into buying them so I ended up with a conventional set of chains with the v-bars.

I hope I never have to put them on. LOL

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd
Regular cab. The best looking trucks.
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
6580 lb truck 10540 fully loaded

Buzzcut1

Norcal

View Profile

Posted: 01/28/21 08:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

specta wrote:

Thanks for the report.

I looked at them and couldn't talk myself into buying them so I ended up with a conventional set of chains with the v-bars.

I hope I never have to put them on. LOL

I was in that same boat and then I needed them. 25 miles down ice covered roads in the Sierras to get the wife to a hospital. No way I make that drive without chains on all 4 corners

2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 08 Lance 1055, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/28/21 10:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Appreciate the review. Good to hear as I virtually never use chains but when I do it’s on ice and have thought about getting them. Now that my truck tires don’t fit the chains I have.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Reality Check

North Bend

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/21 07:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've wondered about the socks often, thinking they were probably a good idea for the 'in case'. Good info.

We carry cables and chains...probably throw them on a few times a year, sometimes multiple times in a day. It's not bad really; people make a bigger deal out of it than need be. Set of 4 in less than 10 min, a few more minutes when setting drags on too.

Thanks for the write up..

'16 F550 CC, 4x4 with Link Ultraride air suspension, '11 AF 1150. Just so we can play with our snowmobiles, dirt bikes and fishing boat. And new 20' tag along...kayaks, bikes, mc's and extra water and food!!

bighatnohorse

Gig Harbor - Cave Creek

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/29/21 07:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've carried Autosocks for many years and never needed them.
Glad to hear that they really work - thanks for the report.

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/21 08:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the review,I also have been curious...When I need chains,I need chains and sometimes atleast one on the front..V-Bar for me...I never have needed chains except for in the mountains but I can see how they might help on ice like you used them,better than chaining up IMHO..Sometimes chaining up can be a real chore if your already stuck..

The usual case for me is in back in somewhere and it snows two feet on roads the plows never see and without chains is all but impossible to get back out with 4X4 tracks all over the place and into the ditch making it hard to make your own path where it should be,not where a 4X4 slid....lol

1994 F-350 DRW /460/k&n intake /415# torque/lance 9.6/Engel compressor fridge/3 gr 27 batteries/Honda 2k/Honda 3K/WH Camo 2250/Reese solid bar extension/Buddy heater/3 inverters//Happi Jack tie downs /Firestone bags/Yamaha Rhino/Winch and Lockers

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/29/21 02:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Interesting. Never spent much time in the mountains in the winter but used to put chains on the riding mower to use as a plow and it was a pain getting them on centered and tight.

From the video on their site, it looks like a 2 minute job to put them on without a lot of fiddling around.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

autorot8

OR

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/21 04:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Last I read, in Oregon when chains or snow tires are required, autosocks do not meet this requirement. So just be aware of different state requirements.

2015 Ram 2500 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 6.4l Hemi
2020 Northstar TC800 EB
"Overstating the Obvious rarely helps the Oblivious!"

stevenal

Newport, OR, USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/21 04:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

https://autosock.us/products/regulations/

Looks like they have all 50 states covered.

'18 Bigfoot 1500
Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Autosocks (chain replacements) Experience
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.