RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Autosocks (chain replacements) Experience

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Autosocks (chain replacements) Experience

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
ajriding

st clair

View Profile

Posted: 01/31/21 10:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How many miles are they good for? I think these are just for your situation you used them for, to get out of a spot, not so much for miles of driving.

When out in the woods and walking across a slippery granite-bottom stream cross in your sock feet, not barefoot or in shoes, the traction in socks is amazing, like Spiderman feet! I assume the tire sock is similar.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 01/31/21 10:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Even chains don't last on heavy trucks.
I was forced by Caltrans to put chains about 2 miles before actual snow was on the road.
12 miles drive with chains only on outer tires and some links already broke due to wear out thru.
Cables last much longer and allow for higher speeds, so when I was driving on I80 in Sierra - I was carrying both.

Fishhunter

Alaska

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/31/21 11:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I run chains a lot in winter. My last pair lasted over 10 years. You have to buy quality chains..have run cables also but when it’s nasty I grab the chains

2021Ram 3500 DRW Torklift Tiedowns, Fastguns
ORV 24RLS Titanium
2015 Adventurer 86FB

HMS Beagle

Napa, California

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/21 09:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fishhunter wrote:

I run chains a lot in winter. My last pair lasted over 10 years. You have to buy quality chains..have run cables also but when it’s nasty I grab the chains

Chains last a long time in Alasaka. In California, where the CHP will make you drive for 20 miles on dry concrete pavement with them, not so long.

Bigfoot 10.4E, 2015 F350 6.7L DRW 2WD, Autoflex Ultra Air Ride rear suspension, Hellwig Bigwig sway bars front and rear

Reality Check

North Bend

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/21 10:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HMS Beagle wrote:

Fishhunter wrote:

Chains last a long time in Alasaka. In California, where the CHP will make you drive for 20 miles on dry concrete pavement with them, not so long.

I run both... and lots of dry pavement too. If someone is only getting 10 miles out of a pair, you're driving like an idiot and probably bought cheap chains. But for sure, snow is easier on them and they'll last longer than on dry pavement, regardless.

Without a doubt, folks have trouble slowing down and getting good performance and life out of them. It's human nature I guess, but the things don't survive long at 25, 30, 35+ mph. Slap, slap slap..faster you go, harder they hit. Imagine that.

'16 F550 CC, 4x4 with Link Ultraride air suspension, '18 AF 1150. Just so we can play with our snowmobiles, dirt bikes and fishing boat. And new 20' tag along...kayaks, bikes, mc's and extra water and food!!

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/21 05:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HMS Beagle wrote:

In California, where the CHP will make you drive for 20 miles on dry concrete pavement with them, not so long.

That will never be an issue for me. [emoticon]

[image]

I bought these and I hope I never have to take them out of the bag.

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
Regular cab. The best looking trucks.

JoeChiOhki

Sauvie Island, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/01/21 06:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

specta wrote:

HMS Beagle wrote:

In California, where the CHP will make you drive for 20 miles on dry concrete pavement with them, not so long.

[image]

Usually, if I hit a section of road where chains are required, my top speed is likely going to be 25mph, at best, because at that point, I'm likely going to be running low range gearing on the transfer case to allow the engine to do 99% of the brake work.

If its bad enough that I need chains, it's bad enough that my stopping distance is going to be really really long, and sending 11,000lbs of truck and camper into a slide does not tickle my fancy. [emoticon]

My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express
CB Channel 17 Redneck Express
'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/21 06:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

specta wrote:

HMS Beagle wrote:

[image]

I thought the same thing with a brand new 4X4 Ford F-150 going up the hill hunting to the summit was a little slippery but the 4X4 handled just fine,going down not so much..Had I not had new chains with me I doubt I could have made it without dinging up the truck..It turned to ice in less than an hour but that's the Magruder road..Enter at your own risk in the winter..

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 02/02/21 06:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JoeChiOhki wrote:

Usually, if I hit a section of road where chains are required, my top speed is likely going to be 25mph, at best, because at that point,

If its bad enough that I need chains, it's bad enough that my stopping distance is going to be really really long, and sending 11,000lbs of truck and camper into a slide does not tickle my fancy. [emoticon]

That's what is called a stress test. [emoticon] Speed and chains don't mix well.

I seriously doubt that I will ever need t put them on.
I'm not a hunter so once the winter weather hits I'm pretty much done camping.

[image]

Years ago were were camping late Oct and woke up here with over 12" of new snow.
This was the closest I've ever been to needing chains but I never did have to put them on.

I still haven't decided what type to buy for my Lincoln, that will most likely never need them.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 02/02/21 08:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When you drive I-80 between Sacramento and Reno during storm - you will notice in chain installation area - lot of guys in orange suits offering chain installation. Last time I was there about 6 years ago the price was like $30.
Than when the snow ends on other side, there is more of those guys who will cut your chains off for only $15.
Why they have such a good business?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Autosocks (chain replacements) Experience
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.