RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Technology Corner: Directv/ATT vs Local CBS station... Question

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Directv/ATT vs Local CBS station... Question

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
DD716TED

Washington State

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/29/21 05:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Several months ago, our local (Seattle NBC station) was blocked from Direct Tv due to contract dispute.. In my case Sunday Night Football.. at that time Directv posted the name of an APP / WEB site where you could watch the game on a PC and even had it briefly on their DIRECTV APPS page.. then it vanished.. Now Directv and KIRO (CBS Seattle) are at odds over the new Feb 1 contract.. KIRO is telling customers they won't get Super Bowl over Directv if not settled by then.. A Financial ploy with Suoer Bowl the hostage to viewers and putting pressure on KIRO..
I am not taking any chances.. does anyone remember the name of the APP/PC Program that DIRECTV listed that lets you watch local channels..for free but $5 donation is made, deleted commercials..

Lwiddis

Near DVNP, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/29/21 05:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A “donation” is a voluntary offering to a charity. Requiring a “donation” doesn’t make anything “free”...or deductible.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AMP Lithium battery. TALL flag pole. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

RAS43

Littleton,CO

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/21 06:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Locast...may not be available in many areas. I tried to get it here in the Denver area but could never get it to work.

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/29/21 06:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hmmm, if I set my VPN to a Denver server, Locast Denver works ok here on my Firestick.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

jorbill2or

Full time

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/29/21 07:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Locast .. it’s in the Seattle area but pay the 5 bucks for a month “donation” the interference of the ads wanting you to pay is too disruptive! Locast locates your internet or uses gps on your device to allow you to use their service if your not in the broadcast area no joy. You can fake it out with a vpn or gps spoofer.
You can also subscribe month to month to cbs all access ( streaming) and get your local station that way.

Bill

DD716TED

Washington State

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/29/21 08:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you all... Locast is what I was looking for.. this time I will pay the $5... thanks again.. you guys / gals are the greatest..

wowens79

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/21 10:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Try to pick it up via antennae. Many areas you can, and have a great HD picture.
It’s a crazy business, you can get the channel over an antennae for free, but a cable/satellite company takes that free channel, and gets it to homes that may not be able to pick it up, and then the locals want the cable companies to pay a bunch of money to get it to those homes. The local maybe charging $2-5 per home per month to the cable company, and wanting even more.

2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 241k miles and climbing
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

FlatBroke

CO/AZ

View Profile

Posted: 01/30/21 06:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have one of those antennas the you put up in your window, less than $20. Change the input on your TV when any company is having a spat with that particular station. It also has good Ju-Ju. My station came back about a half a day after I installed it. [emoticon]

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

bgum

South Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 01/30/21 08:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One would think that the local channels would want DTV and others to carry them as their advertising would reach a large audience therefore be worth more. After all OTA is paid for by advertising.

jorbill2or

Full time

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/30/21 10:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bgum wrote:

One would think that the local channels would want DTV and others to carry them as their advertising would reach a large audience therefore be worth more. After all OTA is paid for by advertising.

One would think so but not enough for them. The cable and satellite must pay them to rebroadcast the signal you may be able to get with an antenna. and all the outages are the locals raising prices to the dish and direct that they ( in the end you) refuse to pay. Locast is being sued to stop as they aren’t paying the rebroadcast fees.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Directv/ATT vs Local CBS station... Question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.