RV.Net Open Roads Forum: JC refrigeration AC or DC upgrade?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...

Open Roads Forum  >  Do It Yourself Modifications and Upgrades (DIY)

> JC refrigeration AC or DC upgrade?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
Sponsored By:
jshupe

FT

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/21 09:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rdhetrick wrote:

I think that's true if the inverter only has the losses when the compressor is running, but there is a dead load to the inverter even when it's doing nothing. I admit I haven't ran the numbers, but I've got to believe that unless you're turning the inverter off when the refer doesn't need it and on when it does, it's got to use more power over the course of a day.

Of course, but we haven't turned off our inverters except for firmware updates. Our systems (and I guess I should be abundantly clear that this is in no way unique to us) are designed around 24/7 operation in both rigs. If you don't have such a system, then DC makes more sense.

Most of the full-timers we know with moderate to large investments in solar have their inverters on 24/7 and never turn them off except to perform maintenance.

2019 Ram 3500 HO/AISIN CCLB DRW Longhorn
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 2.0T (follow or TC toad)
2015 Keystone Alpine 3730FB 2925W/22.8kWh, 30K multi-split
2016 Arctic Fox 1140 WB 1800W/11.4kWh

rdhetrick

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/04/21 09:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jshupe wrote:

rdhetrick wrote:

I think that's true if the inverter only has the losses when the compressor is running, but there is a dead load to the inverter even when it's doing nothing. I admit I haven't ran the numbers, but I've got to believe that unless you're turning the inverter off when the refer doesn't need it and on when it does, it's got to use more power over the course of a day.

Of course, but we haven't turned off our inverters except for firmware updates. Our systems (and I guess I should be abundantly clear that this is in no way unique to us) are designed around 24/7 operation in both rigs. If you don't have such a system, then DC makes more sense.

Gotcha. I don't have solar on my coach so when I'm boondocking, I turn the inverter off unless I need it.

Rob
2006 Mandalay 40E Full Time
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee

billyboy

md

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/21 11:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why I asked about a modified inverter is that I already have one. I want to know if it will run ok on it.

09 winny adventurer 32h 33 ft towing 015 focus

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/21 08:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

billyboy,

It might. Replacing a compressor fridge would be expensive.

If it is an absorption fridge, then msw is fine.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, soon to have SiO2 batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

jshupe

FT

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/21 12:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

billyboy wrote:

Why I asked about a modified inverter is that I already have one. I want to know if it will run ok on it.

Directly from the product page:

Converts your existing fridge to a residential fridge (which eliminates your LP gas). This cooling unit is built with a compressor system and not only do you get to keep your same fridge and controls you are used to, but there is no need to remove the windshield or window to get the old fridge out and the new in – nor the hassle of cutting or redoing the cabinets to make a new fridge fit. Also there is no need to have the coach perfectly level for the fridge. It pulls less than 1 Amp and will run off a 600W inverter (does not require pure sine wave). This unit is coated with a corrosion/rust preventive paint, and is very user-friendly to work on in the field should it ever need repair in the future. It is designed to withstand hot/humid temps and will keep your ice-cream hard. Comes with a 3-year warranty. See our easy DIY install video or have it factory installed.

For questions like this, why not just reach out to them (or look at their site)?

scottykrug

Aurora, CO

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/21 11:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We installed the dc version and love it. Ironically we also had to install a small inverter during the process. The newer Dometic fridge we replaced required a small input of AC voltage to trick it into running.

2009 Ram 3500 Mega 6.7TD
2015 Puma Palomino 295BHSS
Copilot (DW) Navigator (DD) Flight Engineer (DS)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Do It Yourself Modifications and Upgrades (DIY)

> JC refrigeration AC or DC upgrade?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.