RV.Net Open Roads Forum: How dependable are newer trucks with higher mileage?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> How dependable are newer trucks with higher mileage?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 02/02/21 05:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Vahalla360 Wrote:

Glad we are from the midwest then.

It's our only vehicle. Currently about 4000 miles into a cross country 6-8 month trip. No real worries about reliability.

I agree the east coast is certainly not the cheapest place to buy a Truck. Especially in the Mid Atlantic and Northeast areas of the east coast

19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

shelbyfv

TN

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/21 08:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IME, it's not the engine and transmission that cause headaches above 100,000. There's lots of other stuff that can and will go bad. Tolerance for dealing with that and the ability to get stuff fixed properly varies. Having a trusted mechanic or shop could sway the decision. I'm on the fence now with a 100,000 mile F150. Runs well, no rust, comfortable, etc. At my age I'll only be towing a couple more years. BUT.... I've had a water pump replacement that turned into a $1500 screw up. Later on a cracked radiator that I'm 99% sure was the Ford dealers fault, another $1000. I'm probably an idiot to keep going back to the dealer (I've tried two) but I don't seem to have another option. Financially it's surely better to keep fixing stuff for two more years as opposed to $50,000+ for a new truck, but having those two years w/o all this drama is appealing.

n0arp

FT

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/21 10:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Devo the dog wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Devo the dog wrote:

Don't buy a 2019 or newer Ram (new or used). The trucks are substandard at zero miles and the only way to expose the problems is by driving them. They can pull heavy trailers, have great exhaust brakes, and are quiet on the highway when towing. But, the rest of the truck has too many problems. Unfortunately, the typical long time dodge/fiat/ram owner only cares if the truck can pull a heavy trailer. So, the manufacture produces a substandard truck knowing they can get away with it.

Maybe you can elaborate. ONLY issue and it's rare is they went to the CP4 injection pump for 2019 and 2020. The 2021 RAM's now have gone back to the CP3 pump.

For those with the 19 and 20's you have a 5 year 100k powertrain. IF something happens it WILL be taken care of.

So please tell us about all these "substandard" issues.

Radio doesn't work properly and even though it's under warranty, Ram hasn't been able to fix it yet. Two issues: 1. It randomly shuts off and reboots. 2. The second issue isn't a big deal but it exists. The service/help button does not connect to Ram when you place a call. But, it will connect to Sirius or Emergency road side service. Ram is aware of this issue and there isn't a fix planned.

The only issue I've had with my 2019 was a squeaky serpentine belt that they replaced, and replaced the idler pulley for, under warranty.

I've been satisfied with the AC performance in all conditions, experienced no issues with the radio or transmission, beat the hell out of the front suspension off the pavement with a 500lb winch/bumper combo on the front, and haven't experienced the clunk you describe. Never had any surging or anything of the sort.

It has over 25K miles on it, over half of that towing 16K+, a couple thousand of that with a 6K truck camper in the bed, and much of it off pavement. Seems like a solid truck to me.

It sounds like you've had some bad experiences with your specific truck and that you might have a lemon, but I think your assumptions that those issues are widespread throughout Ram trucks are a bit grandiose.

Edit: my last truck, a LML Duramax, was an emissions nightmare to the point where I deleted it. I sold it with fewer miles than I have on this truck.

* This post was last edited 02/04/21 11:38am by an administrator/moderator *   View edit history

2019 Ram 3500 HO/AISIN CCLB DRW Longhorn
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 2.0T (follow or TC toad)
2015 Keystone Alpine 3730FB 2925W/22.8kWh, 30K multi-split
2016 Arctic Fox 1140 WB 1800W/11.4kWh

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/21 11:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"I think your assumptions that those issues are widespread throughout Ram trucks are a bit grandiose."

YEP, a simple read thru the turbodieselregister.com the gold standard source for RAM/CUMMINS will show they are generally trouble free trucks.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Devo the dog

Moved out of crazy California

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/21 06:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jshupe wrote:

It sounds like you've had some bad experiences with your specific truck and that you might have a lemon, but I think your assumptions that those issues are widespread throughout Ram trucks are a bit grandiose.

LOL. Almost every item I listed has a TSB because the issues are common enough for RAM to issue a TSB. And I need to go back to the dealer. Again. Does this make it a lemon. Not as far as the law is concerned and I'm not claiming that it's a lemon.

Don't tell me to go to another dealer. Been there done that. That's part of the problem.

The service at the dealers suck because there are too many Ram owners accept substandard engineering, manufacturing and warranty support. Plus, a dealer can't fix what the manufacture doesn't know how to fix (yet).
Head in the sand, everything is perfect does not force a manufacture to get better. They know they can get away with selling a truck that has problems, year after year. LOL

* This post was edited 02/05/21 07:01am by Devo the dog *

The dodge fan boys hate the dodge/ram dealerships. Now that I own a Fiat Qui-Qui, I understand why.

Devo the dog

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/21 07:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

YEP, a simple read thru the turbodieselregister.com the gold standard source for RAM/CUMMINS will show they are generally trouble free trucks.

This is why the trucks are substandard. Too many existing owners think they're the gold standard because of something that exists on the internet. I'd call that great marketing. So, the manufacture produces what they can get away with.
How you know anyways? Do you own a 2019? No. But you're more than willing to defend the manufacture that you own. It's like you're in a cult. Maybe you need to be deprogrammed. LOL.

Devo the dog

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/21 07:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

"I think your assumptions that those issues are widespread throughout Ram trucks are a bit grandiose."

Let me use one of the engineering and manufacturing problems as an example:

The AC.

There is a TSB to replace the AC unit because the Peugeot was too stupid to copy the design of every other auto manufacture that exists on the planet.

The fix is to remove the dashboard, which means remove the trim, to replace the entire AC unit.

Why? Ram didn't include a diverter valve on the heater hose inlet.

Seriously? Even my wife understand how stupid this is.

So, if you do a simple Ram Forum search, the easiest way for a 2019 Ram owner to improve the AC performance to install a shut off valve on the heater hose inlet. If you shut off hot water to the heater core, it'll improve the AC performance, which is why EVERY other manufacture on the planet has been doing this for 20+ years. Ram didn't. LOL.
So, they now have a TSB to replace the AC unit behind the dash.

Whoops.

Why didn't Ram just copy what every other Manufacture has done for decades by Including a diverter valve that shuts off hot water to the heater core when you want Max AC?

Because too many owners will accept it, and defend it.

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/21 07:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Real world scenario - we just went through this over the summer. We looked and looked at used 2015 or newer F250 and 350's. Not only were they hard to find, what we did find were ones with 100k + miles and fairly well used. We must have driven a dozen trucks, all with small issues, some with major issues, and nothing I felt was worth what they were asking. With prices being only $10-15k less than brand new and with no warranty left, it made sense for us to spend the extra money for peace of mind on a brand new truck. I understand these trucks hold their value and are pretty reliable. But I felt the extra money was worth more than what it would have cost to fix a major engine or transmission problem if it happened. My last truck was a 2007 F150 I bought brand new. It's started crapping out last year with 250k miles on it. So I don't mid buying new because I take care of them and keep them until the wheels fall off. I just didn't feel good spending $40-45k on a 5 year old used truck with 100k miles and no warranty. There was also the issue of financing. The difference in the rate and terms on a 5 year old truck vs a rebates and incentives on new was almost a wash in amortization. The newer 10 speed drivetrain, decent mileage and increased payload were all factors as well. Trucks have come a long way in 5 years. The 5 year old version of my current truck has less horsepower, less torque, less payload and got about half the MPG.

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/21 07:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Devo the dog wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

This is why the trucks are substandard. Too many existing owners think they're the gold standard because of something that exists on the internet. I'd call that great marketing. So, the manufacture produces what they can get away with.
How you know anyways? Do you own a 2019? No. But you're more than willing to defend the manufacture that you own. It's like you're in a cult. Maybe you need to be deprogrammed. LOL.

I gave the best source for all the good and bad and that's not good enough.

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/21 07:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just didn't feel good spending $40-45k on a 5 year old used truck with 100k miles and no warranty. There was also the issue of financing. The difference in the rate and terms on a 5 year old truck vs a rebates and incentives on new was almost a wash in amortization.

This pretty much sums it up for me too.
If you are plan on keeping the truck for the long haul. Buy new and don't look back.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> How dependable are newer trucks with higher mileage?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.