|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next
Sponsored By:
Fishhunter

Alaska

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/31/21 09:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Prolly a dumb question but...do you lift the weight of the camper off the truck before jacking the truck up...never had a flat in all my travels and was just wondering

2021Ram 3500 DRW Torklift Tiedowns, Fastguns
ORV 24RLS Titanium
2015 Adventurer 86FB

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 01/31/21 10:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It never hurts to have double protection.
Factory jacks usually can lift truck with its full load, but lot of TC overload rear axle, so common sense apply.

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 01/31/21 10:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jacking 1 wheel will cause a vehicle to lean. If you jack the camper straight up, then bring the truck up at a angle won't that put a lot of stress on camper? Where if the camper and truck are lifted as a unit at least the camper will ride as it normally does.

azdryheat

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/31/21 11:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a dually tire fail with my toyhauler hooked up. I carry an 8 ton bottle jack, which lifted the truck just fine. I also got a battery powered hammer wrench when I got home for the next time I get a flat, no more 4 ways.

2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

ticki2

NH

View Profile

Posted: 01/31/21 11:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It all depends on the capacity of the jack . Either way will work .

'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 01/31/21 11:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think you should carry ramp to lift the center of the flat wheel back up to normal height. Jack up from there to get the wheel off block, then off hub. First, much less overall lift with jack, so less likely to fall off. And just holding is not as likely to fall as while jacking. And given a fall, if it happens with the wheel off it is more likely to hurt you or vehicle. If you start up from normal height you don't get flat off, then need to "Up just a little more" to get replacement back on.

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/31/21 03:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Unfasten the fastguns, then use both the camper and truck jacks. In theory the truck jack should work but they are flimsy and even using the camper jacks, my truck jack bent.

Hemi Joel

Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/31/21 09:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I carry an 8 ton bottle jack and some wood blocks. I've changed tires a few times on the road. I just leave the camper on the truck, I don't lower the camper jacks, chock the other wheels, put the bottle jack under the axle tube as far outboard as possible, change the tire, lower the truck. Never had an issue with that method, never saw a need to do it any different.

2018 Eagle Cap 1163 triple slide on a 93 Dodge D350 Cummins, DTT 89 torque converter, big turbo, 3 extra main leafs, Rancho 9000s rear, Monroe gas magnums front, upper overloads removed, home made stableloads, bags.

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/21 05:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hemi Joel wrote:

I carry an 8 ton bottle jack and some wood blocks. I've changed tires a few times on the road. I just leave the camper on the truck, I don't lower the camper jacks, chock the other wheels, put the bottle jack under the axle tube as far outboard as possible, change the tire, lower the truck. Never had an issue with that method, never saw a need to do it any different.

Best answer so far.

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
Regular cab. The best looking trucks.

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/21 07:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In my case I used the tongue jack of the trailer I was towing in conjunction with the 2-1/2 ton floor jack I keep in said trailer to change the flat I had a few years back.

The axle holds up the weight the rest of the time, a flat tire doesn't change that. There is absolutely no reason to jack the camper separately if you have a jack that can do the job. To that end I suggest dedicating some storage space to a quality 8-12 ton bottle jack.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.