|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/21 06:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That settles it. I'm getting a 15-ton bottle jack. [emoticon]

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
Regular cab. The best looking trucks.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/21 06:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

Kayteg1 wrote:

10 tons?
I wonder what it takes to bend the axle?

What does it matter? The jack can't put any more force than what the axle weighs, no matter the capacity..

It does matter when you put the jack under the axle pipe, like most of us do. When you have axle overloaded and lifting it in the point that was not design for it- something will give, just like Titanic broke on several pieces as it could not hold its own weight hanging in the air.

kohldad

Goose Creek, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/01/21 07:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just use the factory jack. Used it on loaded truck, loaded flat bed trailer, among other things. Only time I can remember changing a tire with a bottle jack was on the road when my single axle dump was overloaded with 11 tons in the bed. The 8-ton bottle jack said that was about all it was going to pick up but did get the job done.

Besides, I don't really have the room to carry an extra bottle jack. Space is all taken up as it is and I'm already heavy enough.

2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/21 09:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I started carrying a 12 ton bottle jack a few years ago. I would use it instead of the factory jack, but the real answer is I’d probably just call AAA if possible.

One of the reason I bought a 450 is for the 19.5 tires which I feel are much tougher than a normal tire. Hopefully, it means no flat.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Toyo M655 225/19.5 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

Buzzcut1

Norcal

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/21 10:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

JRscooby wrote:

Kayteg1 wrote:

10 tons?

What does it matter? The jack can't put any more force than what the axle weighs, no matter the capacity..

It does matter when you put the jack under the axle pipe, like most of us do. When you have axle overloaded and lifting it in the point that was not design for it- something will give, just like Titanic broke on several pieces as it could not hold its own weight hanging in the air.

If your axle cant take a jack lifting up a little more than half the load that it normally carries down the road then I would say you are driving junk. Seriously we are only talking 4-5000 pounds.

2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 08 Lance 1055, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

JoeChiOhki

Sauvie Island, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/02/21 01:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Buzzcut1 wrote:

Kayteg1 wrote:

JRscooby wrote:

Kayteg1 wrote:

10 tons?

If your axle cant take a jack lifting up a little more than half the load that it normally carries down the road then I would say you are driving junk. Seriously we are only talking 4-5000 pounds.

The difference is in pressure to area applied. Your spring perch transfers the load across the curvature (the strongest part of the tubular structure ) if the axle tube.

With a smaller bottle jack you're concentrating all that weight into a much smaller contact patch, which increases the psi being applied and can damage the tube potentially.

In terms of total weight, that part is moot, the psi at the contact patch is the critical bit.

If you look at most factory jacks, they use a cradle which spreads that contact patch out into the curvature of the axle tube, reducing the total psi, but they are generally only rated fir lifting an unladen truck, not one with a full load in the bed.

My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express
CB Channel 17 Redneck Express
'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 02/02/21 04:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JoeChiOhki wrote:

Buzzcut1 wrote:

Kayteg1 wrote:

The difference is in pressure to area applied. Your spring perch transfers the load across the curvature (the strongest part of the tubular structure ) if the axle tube.

With a smaller bottle jack you're concentrating all that weight into a much smaller contact patch, which increases the psi being applied and can damage the tube potentially.

In terms of total weight, that part is moot, the psi at the contact patch is the critical bit.

If you look at most factory jacks, they use a cradle which spreads that contact patch out into the curvature of the axle tube, reducing the total psi, but they are generally only rated fir lifting an unladen truck, not one with a full load in the bed.

Look at the top of a 6 compared to a 10 ton bottle jack. Yes, the bigger jack could have a bigger contact area, but when you think about that contact with a tube, there is very little increase.
The big issue is people think it is a good idea to put any jack under the tube. Put the jack under where the suspension mounts to axle. Bet if you check the book, that is where the factory says to put the factory jack.

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 02/02/21 06:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some people need to call and have someone else change the tire.

Its obvious that some are not capable of placing the jack in the proper place so it wont cause any damage.

Good Sam or AAA might be a good choice for them.

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 02/02/21 06:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

specta wrote:

Its obvious that some are not capable of placing the jack in the proper place so it wont cause any damage.

What, you mean at virtually any point along the axle tube's length? I don't doubt some people are incapable of that.

They don't exactly use exhaust pipe for axle tubes. It's pretty stout stuff. Ever cut an axle tube on a 3/4 or 1 ton truck apart? They are seriously THICK walled. Like 3/8" or more. It would take a lot more than the weight of the largest heaviest camper on the market, loaded to the max, to put a dent in one.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 02/02/21 07:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mkirsch wrote:

What, you mean at virtually any point along the axle tube's length? I don't doubt some people are incapable of that.

There are people out there that have no business holding a screwdriver let alone changing a flat tire on a truck with a camper loaded in the bed.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.