|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 02/02/21 08:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It isn't only the knowledge, but also practical fitment.
Technically you should put the jack under suspension bracket on the axle.
But on most trucks even smaller bottle jack will not clear the tire easy.
When you call roadside assistance - they will bring floor jack, who has to go under axle pipe.
When those pipes are overbuild - they were not design as lifting point.
So when they usually are fine lifting 1500 lb empty truck corner, having them lifting 3-4000 lb of truck + TC is pushing your luck.

markchengr

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 02/02/21 08:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I made an axle tube cradle for my bottle jack. But then, I'm a pretty good welder.

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 02/02/21 09:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mkirsch wrote:

specta wrote:

Its obvious that some are not capable of placing the jack in the proper place so it wont cause any damage.

What, you mean at virtually any point along the axle tube's length? I don't doubt some people are incapable of that.

They don't exactly use exhaust pipe for axle tubes. It's pretty stout stuff. Ever cut an axle tube on a 3/4 or 1 ton truck apart? They are seriously THICK walled. Like 3/8" or more. It would take a lot more than the weight of the largest heaviest camper on the market, loaded to the max, to put a dent in one.

This is the kind of "information" that can cause problems. The fact is a axle loaded to capacity can be damaged by a jack in the wrong place.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/02/21 10:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well fortunately I have yet to need to change a rear tire with a TC in the bed, however if one is worried about it, it’s not the end of the world to jack up the camper before lifting the truck.
But in the interest of saving time IF I had a rear flat, prior to going to AK with the TC, I let most of the air out of a rear tire with tc on the truck, verified my bottle back would fit under a flat tire, lifted the truck corner high enough to change a tire and it worked.

To spectras point, some folks couldn’t use a mechanical egg beater much less fix a car or truck and also don’t have the experience or confidence or knowledge to use a bottle jack properly.
This is a common theme on this forum as many of the threads deal with mechanical issues or the propensity for them. And many of the members don’t have the basic knowledge or experience to deal with basic repairs.
If everyone did, roadside assistance places would go out of business.
This is understandable. What is not understand able is those who don’t know ____telling someone else their uneducated opinion as to why something is “unsafe” in their eyes as if it’s a fact.
I know a lot about trucks and mechanical things, but I don’t reply to questions that I don’t know the right answer to. See me posting in the 5ver or Class A forums? Nope. Because I don’t know a lot about class As particular setups.
Other should do the same.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/02/21 02:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Beats me why anyone would want to try to use a flat bottle jack on a round axle. Or even carry a bottle jack. I already have 4 nice jacks built into the camper. I found they work great when changing a tire.

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 02/02/21 02:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've used bottle jacks for years,never an issue even in uneven ground..Take the necessary precautions and a bit of common sense and they work just fine..Used the old handi man jacks a ton also but there worthless for truck campers other than as a winch for a short pull...Ideally a floor jack would be the cats meow but who wants to carry one of those around..

I don't know where you guys get flats but I get them in the worst areas it seems where help or even cell service doesn't exist and that's why I keep good tires on my rigs because walking out sux...

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 02/02/21 04:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm going to buy a bottle jack and keep it with the tire chains I'm never going to use.

I don't know why you're jacking up your truck by placing the jack under the axle tube, its not there to support the weight. The point were the leaf springs bolt to the housing is where all the weight is supported so that's the lift point I will use if I ever do get a flat tire n the rear.

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
Regular cab. The best looking trucks.

ticki2

NH

View Profile

Posted: 02/02/21 04:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JimK-NY wrote:

Beats me why anyone would want to try to use a flat bottle jack on a round axle. Or even carry a bottle jack. I already have 4 nice jacks built into the camper. I found they work great when changing a tire.

Are you saying you use the camper jacks to lift the truck ? ??

'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 02/02/21 04:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

specta wrote:

I'm going to buy a bottle jack and keep it with the tire chains I'm never going to use.

I don't know why you're jacking up your truck by placing the jack under the axle tube, its not there to support the weight. The point were the leaf springs bolt to the housing is where all the weight is supported so that's the lift point I will use if I ever do get a flat tire n the rear.

I use where you mentioned when available but sometimes that little different in height won't let the jack under it so it's either start digging or under the tube..

3-4 inches matters [emoticon]

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 02/02/21 04:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can buy the saddle that goes on the end of the bottle jack..And note the difference in height from the axle housing to the bottom of the spring plate..Sometimes that matters...

[image]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.