|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/21 07:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

specta wrote:

jaycocreek wrote:

You can buy the saddle that goes on the end of the bottle jack..And note the difference in height from the axle housing to the bottom of the spring plate..Sometimes that matters...

[image]

Is this a picture from an ad for the saddle??

I'm quite sure that anyone who could not place the jack directly under the spring perch would still put the jack as close to it as possible.

Didn't read the whole post to now..[emoticon]

Specta,I whole heartedly agree but there are times with the tire already flat and the spring base lower to the ground,the jack won't fit and the farther you get towards the center the heighth increases..I always go for closest to the tire but many like to use a floor jack and jack it up by the gear case in the center raising both sides..Or dig like a dog..[emoticon]

1994 F-350 DRW /460/k&n intake /415# torque/lance 9.6/Engel compressor fridge/3 gr 27 batteries/Honda 2k/Honda 3K/WH Camo 2250/Reese solid bar extension/Buddy heater/3 inverters//Happi Jack tie downs /Firestone bags/Yamaha Rhino/Winch and Lockers

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/21 07:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

most of the cases there is not clear description how the bend happened, it would surprise me if someone come to the internet forum admitting he bend his axle with stupid jack positioning.

Uh huh...

I can guarantee you I have changed more than my share of tires and once did it for a living at Sears auto/tire..Never seen anything like you describe and I come from logging communities where things are treated rough and overloaded to boot..Common sense must be the dividing factor in bending or not bending an axle housing with a bottle jack and being sober helps.I have heard..LOL

Have you bent one or are you relying on the internet to back up your opinion...I want to see one where the axle housing was bent using a bottle jack because that is what we are talking about..

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/21 07:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jaycocreek wrote:

Quote:

Hole for jack would work, but IMHO not the best plan.

Well as I said earlier,the vast majority of my changing tires is in the middle of nowhere where options are limited...You also have the option of driving to a more suitable spot on your flat to change the tire and run the risk of ruining your tire,not an option for me..I change on the spot and deal with it as is...Remember,99% of my flats have been in remote areas where you deal with what you have...

As to the axle tube,never seen one bent from a jack or heard of one..Is this another ticket for being over weight in a truck camper on rv.net..[emoticon]

Who in sam hill is talking about driving to another location? Any surface you can dig a hole in, and many places you can't, you can lay a block on the ground, pull on it. The only place that would be a issue is if you are under low clearance. And in that case a jack wouldn't work.
And as to how many axles are bent, I can't say. But I bought a ton GMC with a broken axle. Replaced the axle, it broke again less than 1000 miles, no load. This time I checked closer. The tube on that side was bent up in center.
Customer had bearing noise on F-350. Much harder than normal to remove axle. Bent up in center. I can not say a jack did it, but the housings where bent.
Also I can't say yours will bend. But when I lay my money on the Blackjack table I might loose it, or I might pick up double. IMHO gamble on jack under the tube very little, if any win and a lot to loose.
*had to change to a game I never play. I guess this site does not like the galloping dominos.

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/21 07:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am not going to pull an already flat tire up on a block or blocks because the tire itself is already stressed by the time you pull over and pulling it up onto a wooden block runs the risk of further damage to the tire and sidewall...

You do it your way and I will do it the way I have for over 50 years without issue..You certainly won't change my opinion on how to change a tire in the backcountry and I am sure the same applies to you and my opinion..

So I agree to disagree rather than an internet rant!

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/21 08:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

jaycocreek wrote:

As to the axle tube,never seen one bent from a jack or heard of one..Is this another ticket for being over weight in a truck camper on rv.net..[emoticon]

You wont find it till you start looking.
when in most of the cases there is not clear description how the bend happened, it would surprise me if someone come to the internet forum admitting he bend his axle with stupid jack positioning.

Because it didn't happen with a jack. But thanks for trying again to be the world's best antagonist.

And this is just another one of those, 'folks who know it all' or think they do, threads now.
Truck axles get bent all the time.....from OVERLOADING.
Any of you experts, go jack up your pickup with a loaded camper on the back. And if you bend the axle, I'll not only eat my words, but come replace your axle.
Feel pretty safe in making that claim, lol!

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/21 05:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jaycocreek wrote:

I am not going to pull an already flat tire up on a block or blocks because the tire itself is already stressed by the time you pull over and pulling it up onto a wooden block runs the risk of further damage to the tire and sidewall...

You do it your way and I will do it the way I have for over 50 years without issue..You certainly won't change my opinion on how to change a tire in the backcountry and I am sure the same applies to you and my opinion..

So I agree to disagree rather than an internet rant!

No, your not likely to change. I would love to find a better way. Retired now, so not likely to run into the issue, but I have had to dig out to get a track back on a loader on soft ground. And retired, I call myself a graduate of the school of hard knocks. But the facts that somebody started this thread, others have asked questions and more have read than posted indicates to me that some might learn from the mistakes I have made.
Will it hurt a tire that has rolled down to a stop to roll another half revolution? Maybe, but I doubt it. Now, if I come out after the vehicle has been sitting, and find the flat I would hesitate to move it. OTOH, I will air it up. Any distance from a tire shop I will use that extra height to reduce jacking. But driving, a tire goes flat, I stop as soon as I can to protect wheel and rest of vehicle. I assume the tire will be junk before I stop. I crank the spare down to ground, then unwind rest of cable. Put a wrap back on winch. Then pull forward until spare slides. This puts center of spare under bumper, so don't have to be under to get it out. Next, check pressure in spare. (No matter how fast you change the tire you will feel stupid if you have to stand there waiting to air up tire when you should be done If the spare needs air, hook to compressor before you do lug nuts.) Then I back the flat onto block and chock the diagonal wheel. Break lugs loose (more room from ground sometimes helps that too) Then I put jack under and lift to clear block. Spin nuts off, swap wheels nuts back on. (the block can chock the wheel to get nuts a little tighter before lower the jack an torque them. Winch spare up, put tools away clean hands.
Jack in hole, or on flat ground, the more distance you run the jack after you start to lift the more likely the jack is to slip. And any slip increases the chance of vehicle to fall.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/21 08:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jaycocreek wrote:

Quote:

most of the cases there is not clear description how the bend happened, it would surprise me if someone come to the internet forum admitting he bend his axle with stupid jack positioning.

Uh huh...

I can guarantee you I have changed more than my share of tires and once did it for a living at Sears auto/tire..Never seen anything like you describe and I come from logging communities where things are treated rough and overloaded to boot..Common sense must be the dividing factor in bending or not bending an axle housing with a bottle jack and being sober helps.I have heard..LOL

Have you bent one or are you relying on the internet to back up your opinion...I want to see one where the axle housing was bent using a bottle jack because that is what we are talking about..

We can argue forever what really happens and what might be a myth, but as I suggested before -contact truck manufacturer if they advise lifting the truck with full load by the axle pipe.

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/21 10:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[image]

ticki2

NH

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/21 10:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As usual this thread is like a dog chasing it’s tail . If you know how to rotate your tires , you know how to change a flat . If you don’t you should learn . Rotating tires is a maintenance item , flats are a what if .

'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/21 10:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This thread is more interesting than a hog chasing it’s tail. [emoticon] I do find it interesting that it seems to be opinions vs facts with sources.

I spent a bit of time looking for sources via google but found more opinions. Here’s one from a tire place for RVs. https://www.lesschwab.com/article/how-to........r-a-flat-tire-on-your-rv-or-trailer.html Curiously, they didn’t say where to place the bottle jack.

I think any instructions should be for an RV etc. Otherwise, the instructions could be for an unloaded truck. Fyi, I did find one post on Ford Trucks site that said don’t put a bottle jack under the differential.

YMMV.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.