RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Clicking sound from where home battery is.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Clicking sound from where home battery is.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/21 06:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some pictures of what’s in and around your battery box would help. There are enough experts on here that can identify what each component is, and what it does.

If you’re unfamiliar with posting images on this forum, use this site. It’s pretty easy, you’re just uploading your image to the hosting site (Imgur), and copy/pasting the provided link into your forum post.

RV.net Photo Upload and Post

[emoticon][emoticon]

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450

QCMan

Independent Republic of Horry

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/21 07:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do you have a 12v compressor reefer? If not, that may very well be the reefer lighting on propane as auto will usually switch to 110v when plugged in and gas when not plugged in. Unless you had the generator going it would default to gas and as mentioned above, wind may have been blowing it out.

* This post was edited 02/01/21 03:04pm by QCMan *

2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.

klutchdust

Orange, California

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/21 08:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"but the fridge should be able to run off the coach battery when im driving "

The fridge uses 12 volts from the battery for control power and needs propane to cool the unit, once on ground or generator power it switches over and the propane is no longer needed.

ksg5000

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/21 10:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cmccain13 wrote:

NRALIFR wrote:

Self-resetting CB?

[emoticon][emoticon]

not sure but my circut breaker box is under my bed in the back. there is a part that is located next to the battery that may have been making the noise but im not sure.

Self resetting circuit breaker is located near the battery and looks nothing like a regular circuit breaker. Google search should give you a good picture.

Kevin

Cmccain13

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/01/21 11:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NRALIFR wrote:

Some pictures of what’s in and around your battery box would help. There are enough experts on here that can identify what each component is, and what it does.

If you’re unfamiliar with posting images on this forum, use this site. It’s pretty easy, you’re just uploading your image to the hosting site (Imgur), and copy/pasting the provided link into your forum post.

RV.net Photo Upload and Post

[emoticon][emoticon]

Here is what I have. Batteries https://imgur.com/gallery/xVHbWDj

bobndot

USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/21 11:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cmccain13 wrote:

bobndot wrote:

Do you have a BIM ? A battery isolation manager charges both chassis and coach batteries by switching back and forth , alternating the charge from one to the other. Maybe you are hearing the solenoid clicking.

Im really not sure, but there is something located right next to the battery separated by a compartment under the stair where the battery is located. it does seem like its something related to that since it sounds like an electrical issue.

I agree electrical , but what do I know , I'm not by any means a mechanic I only have a basic understanding .
You're under warranty ? Give your dealership the chance to help you.
What they are using in rvs these days to charge a 12v system is anybody's guess.
***Next to your step, look for an access panel with a few screws that you can unscrew. Behind this panel should normally be the solenoid of whatever type of isolator you have. I had a BIM system by Precision Circuits. This is the solenoid that you might be hearing click on/off. You should hear it click when you push your emergency start switch, if you have one.

If you have a PC BIM.

The BIM could be bad, mine went on vacation right after the warranty ended, it's sensitive digital circuitry.
The company PC was very helpful. The Tech was very helpful to me explaining a lot and had the time to chat.
http://precisioncircuitsinc.com/product/battery-disconnect-225-amps/

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/21 01:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Leave the IMG tags with the brackets in the image location URL and they will post as images like this:

[image]

#1 looks like a maxi fuse holder. There should be a replaceable fuse under the cover.

#2 I think is a solenoid, possibly to isolate the house batteries from the starting battery when the engine is off.

#3 looks like four self-resetting CB’s mounted with the “cans” down and the terminals up. To a plastic holder maybe? Hard to tell through all the paint. No, that’s got to be a +12v buss bar, only one of those CB’s has two cables attached to it.

If those are CB’s, any one of those could be tripping due to a problem somewhere, then resetting, then tripping again, etc. That would sound very much like a turn signal flasher.

[emoticon][emoticon]

BruceMc

Oregon - Willamette Valley

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/01/21 02:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FYI, our BIM in our 2016 Sunseeker is in the stepwell; it looks like this after removing the cover:

[image]

The guide is on the back of the cover:

[image]

There are several relays in this box including the large relay used to connect the chassis battery to the house batteries.

One thing I learned when troubleshooting a lack of charge from our chassis while underway was that anytime the ign key is on, the awning and slides are locked - they cannot be deployed underway.

'16 Forest River Sunseeker 2250SLEC Chevrolet 6.0L
Previously:
'00 Four Winds 26Q Class C (Ford E350 V10)
'96 Kit Sportsmaster 212f Fifth Wheel/'93 GMC Sierra K2500
'91 SunLite poptop truck camper
and the first: a Wildernest flip-top canopy.

CharlesinGA

South of Atlanta, Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/21 03:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cmccain13 wrote:

So I'm in a 2021 coachmen leprechaun 300BH, water heater is on the other side of the coach and the propane was on. that's what I was thinking but the fridge should be able to run off the coach battery when im driving right? and it was in auto position so maybe something was going on and it was trying to switch to propane just not working.

Only if you have a three way fridge, and they are not particularly common. Most three ways have a separate button to turn on the 12v heat element control. If you set it to auto, it will try to go to gas when you remove shore power.

Charles

'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed std cab long bed Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180. SOLD - 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

bobndot

USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/02/21 05:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CharlesinGA wrote:

Cmccain13 wrote:

So I'm in a 2021 coachmen leprechaun 300BH, water heater is on the other side of the coach and the propane was on. that's what I was thinking but the fridge should be able to run off the coach battery when im driving right? and it was in auto position so maybe something was going on and it was trying to switch to propane just not working.

Only if you have a three way fridge, and they are not particularly common. Most three ways have a separate button to turn on the 12v heat element control. If you set it to auto, it will try to go to gas when you remove shore power.

Charles

I would never recommend for anyone to run in the 12v mode of a 3 way fridge , the amp draw would be in the 25amp range opposed a compressor type 12v fridge at 2 or 3 amps.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Clicking sound from where home battery is.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.