|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Roadside Breakdown

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
BurbMan

Noblesville, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/01/21 08:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've had the Good Sam roadside assistance for years because if you break down they will tow your truck to the repair shop and your trailer to the nearest campground or safe parking spot. Both times when I lost the transmission on the Suburban I had the trailer in tow, so the program paid for itself many times over. The renewal came in the mail today and it got me thinking about whether it's the right thing for a TC.

Say you break down on the interstate with the TC on board. The rig is too tall to go on a flatbed, so do they use an old school bumper tow on the truck with the TC still on? Or do you dismount and have the TC hauled separately from the truck? If the garage has to put to truck on a lift can the TC stay on?

I realize there are a lot of variables here but want to be generally prepared in the event of a mechanical.

2015 Ram 3500 SRW 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab Long Box, Cummins diesel
2002 Lance 811 Slide-In Camper
SOLD: 2008 Terry 34' TT
SOLD: 2001 K2500LT 8.1L Suburban

Lance 811 Renovation Story!
Project Complete!
Maiden Voyage!

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 02/02/21 05:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

call coach net. things arn,t the same as the old days.

billtex

RI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/02/21 05:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good Sam has been responsive the couple of times we needed them (not for the TC). They will tow any vehicle anywhere in the US which is great. Once my Wife ran down car battery, another time she hit a pot hole, they came within one hour.
If you need to tow TC be sure you ask for a low boy, just tell them you have a small motor home. They probably won’t understand TC.

2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 02/02/21 06:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[image]

When I bought this truck and camper it hadn't been driven for close to 15 years so I had it towed to my home.
The wrecker service used a rollback to haul it on.
Some companies have low profile rollbacks.

* This post was edited 02/02/21 06:40am by specta *

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
Regular cab. The best looking trucks.

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 02/02/21 06:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most flatbed rollbacks that I see are also capable of doing a wheel-lift tow. I’ve had to do that once with my camper on a 1995 F350 when the clutch throw out bearing came apart. Of course, then you have to think about whether your driveshaft needs to be disconnected or not.

That’s what happened here on a trip to the west coast in 2010. Amarillo, TX.

[image]

My preference would be to find a tow company that could move your truck with the camper on it to your chosen repair facility, then drop the camper in their lot. Or, possibly make an interim stop at a campground to drop the camper.

If the truck can still move itself but needs repairs, I’ve spent the night with the camper in garage lots or a campground while the truck was being worked on. Like I did here on that same 2010 trip in Bishop, CA.

[image]

Yeah, that was a fun trip. Good times! [emoticon]

[emoticon][emoticon]

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 02/02/21 07:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think your time would be better spent preparing for the truck to NOT break down. Proper maintenance will go a long way to not needing to be towed.

The towing companies are professionals. They do this for a living. When they see your rig they will either know how to tow it, or send you someone who can.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 02/02/21 07:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mkirsch wrote:

I think your time would be better spent preparing for the truck to NOT break down. Proper maintenance will go a long way to not needing to be towed.

The towing companies are professionals. They do this for a living. When they see your rig they will either know how to tow it, or send you someone who can.

I think you are giving ALL tow truck drivers too much credit.
I imagine most are familiar with passenger cars but a TC presents a different challenge that many will not be familiar with.
I think it a good idea to know what to expect if you need a tow with the TC attached

19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

BurbMan

Noblesville, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/02/21 07:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mkirsch wrote:

Proper maintenance only goes so far...the 2nd time I lost the transmission it was a Jasper rebuilt unit with less than 10k miles on it, with fluid/filter changed at 5k as recommended by Jasper.

How much maintenance do you think I could have done in the time it took me to type this question on the forum and read your response? SMH [emoticon]

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 02/02/21 07:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mkirsch wrote:

Lantley wrote:

I think you are giving ALL tow truck drivers too much credit.

Every profession has its own idiots.

I would think that when you called a towing service and told them what you needed towed they would sent the truck and driver most capable of towing your rig.

At least that's been my experience.

markchengr

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 02/02/21 08:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When we had a breakdown the tow truck driver lifted the front end of the truck and disconnected the drive shaft. Any tow truck driver should know how to do this. They do it every day. We were able to stay in the camper overnight while repairs were made.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Roadside Breakdown
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.