|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Death wobble

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
trail-explorer

NM

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/21 03:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

spud1957 wrote:

Yeah. This is no way just a "Ford" problem. Any truck with a solid front axle. Google Ram death wobble.

Jeeps too (Wrangler = solid front axle)

Bob

trail-explorer

NM

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/21 03:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GWolfe wrote:

We have a 2018 F250 at work that suffered from the death wobble. It had just over 20k miles on it when it started. Ford added or replaced the steering damper, aligned it, and recommended new tires. ........ We are at 35k now and it is starting to come back,.

Something else in the front end is probably wearing out. Ball joints / or the like.

mich800

Pontiac, MI

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/21 04:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

larry barnhart wrote:

seems like any front end that needs work could do a wobble.

chevman

Eh not really. A solid axle develops the harmonics or whatever it is from one wheel to the other because no only are they tied together by steering but physically through the axle so whatever 1 wheel does pushes the opposite one the other way.
An ifs can shake or rattle but generally won’t get out of control.

That's the truth. Typically it is from something worn but not exclusively. We had a few Gladiators develop it during pre production testing.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/21 04:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

trail-explorer wrote:

GWolfe wrote:

We have a 2018 F250 at work that suffered from the death wobble. It had just over 20k miles on it when it started. Ford added or replaced the steering damper, aligned it, and recommended new tires. ........ We are at 35k now and it is starting to come back,.

Something else in the front end is probably wearing out. Ball joints / or the like.

Had 1 pretty new Superduty at work, 09 or 2010 model, back in 09-10. It was a death wobbling pos. Wasn't my truck or part of my team, but it was so new that it really couldn't have been worn out. Idk what the fix was , but betting a bad tire or caster way off and the right stretch of road. Guy said it would do it in the same spot, but not elsewhere.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

PastorCharlie

NC

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/21 07:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

PastorCharlie wrote:

My 87 Jeep Wrangler YJ started the death wobble a few years back and I took it to a national tire shop and they did an alignment but it still had the wobble. Took it back to them and they rechecked it and said they needed to shim the axle so I told them to do so. They said they tried to order shims but could not find any available.

I took the Jeep to a fleet truck shop that only works on big trucks and they agreed if it would fit their machine they would work on it. It fit and they shimmed the axle with shims they carried in stock and it stopped the problem.. I have not had any problem at any speed or on any highway.

This was likely a caster issue. Lifted springs?
Yes many things can cause it.

No lifted springs. The Jeep still original. It was a total alignment problem. Not all alignment shops can properly align a vehicle.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/21 09:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^Glad that fixed it, but shimmed the axle meaning wedge shaped shims between the springs and spring perches are typically used to change the faster in the front axle. And generally more caster = tracks straighter, less “floating” and a bit more steering effort.

Seems strange that a vehicle after about 30 years suddenly had a caster issue without something else changing.

Not being critical, I just generally try to understand the root cause of issues. And you don’t generally see axles needing to be shimmed or rotated except to correct caster and/or pinion angles on lifted trucks.
So did they presumably add caster to the axle and nothing else was amiss? Did you get a before and after print out of the alignment?

GWolfe

Kansas

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/21 09:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PastorCharlie wrote:

Grit dog wrote:

PastorCharlie wrote:

My 87 Jeep Wrangler YJ started the death wobble a few years back and I took it to a national tire shop and they did an alignment but it still had the wobble. Took it back to them and they rechecked it and said they needed to shim the axle so I told them to do so. They said they tried to order shims but could not find any available.

I took the Jeep to a fleet truck shop that only works on big trucks and they agreed if it would fit their machine they would work on it. It fit and they shimmed the axle with shims they carried in stock and it stopped the problem.. I have not had any problem at any speed or on any highway.

This was likely a caster issue. Lifted springs?
Yes many things can cause it.

No lifted springs. The Jeep still original. It was a total alignment problem. Not all alignment shops can properly align a vehicle.

2005 Sun-Lite Eagle
2011 Silverado

GWolfe

Kansas

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/21 09:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

trail-explorer wrote:

GWolfe wrote:

Had 1 pretty new Superduty at work, 09 or 2010 model, back in 09-10. It was a death wobbling pos. Wasn't my truck or part of my team, but it was so new that it really couldn't have been worn out. Idk what the fix was , but betting a bad tire or caster way off and the right stretch of road. Guy said it would do it in the same spot, but not elsewhere.

Its a work truck that gets beat on daily, I wouldn't be surprised if its been knocked out of alignment or something.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Death wobble
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.