|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> New F350 owner seeks TC information

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
hedgehopper

Denver

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/07/21 12:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

deltabravo wrote:

hedgehopper wrote:

In order to minimize height and weight, you might want to consider a pop-up TC such as NorthStar, Hallmark, or Outfitter.

Those would be a nuisance to live in when parking near the OP's work site to avoid commuting.
How so? We lived in a popup TC off and on for ten years and did not find it to be a nuisance to live in.

Highway Runner

Atlanta, Ga.

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/21 12:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What ever you do, don’t go cheap. Check for the amenities and utilities you want. It may push you price a little, but if it has what you want and need, it will be worth it. If you purchase a nice unit, you will be able to sell it for a good price when you are finished with it.

2015 Eagle Cap 1165
2016 F-350 Lariat 4x4, 6.2 Boss Dually, 4.30 Axle
Air Lifter 7500 XL w Rancho 9000s & Torklift Stable Loads

F-350shortBed

Natividad Medical Center

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/21 12:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks again for all the feedback-

I received my Torklift hardware today and thankfully I realized that the seller website(not
manufacturer) had auto selected the incorrect hardware. There is a question that asks if the buyer has a step to get inside the cab. My vehicle does so I answers yes to this question. However Torklift noted that the step is only significant if it runs farther back than the cab. What a close call.

Anyway, I’ve been. Paying closer attention to detail now and I learned that my vehicle despite being lifted 6” is fairly built for weight. It has:

6 leaf, 3600# rated rear springs, air bags, sway bars, Rough Country performance 2.2 shocks, and E rated tires.

I wanted to reply to this post to quiz anyone with knowledge on NorthernLite 8-11, sportsmen edition which I’ve located surprisingly close to my house. It’s pricey but I have been rethinking my decision based on resale both before and after Highway’ Runners post about going nicer. That and going light too, given my lift.

Does anybody’s out there have a northern lite 8-11 on a lifted vehicle? Once again, thanks for all the support.

DeltaBravo-

I will be sleeping in the truck camper during the daytime in a busy parking lot in an area that can get hot in the summer.

billtex

RI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/12/21 01:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

F-350shortBed wrote:

Thanks again for all the feedback-

I received my Torklift hardware today and thankfully I realized that the seller website(not
manufacturer) had auto selected the incorrect hardware. There is a question that asks if the buyer has a step to get inside the cab. My vehicle does so I answers yes to this question. However Torklift noted that the step is only significant if it runs farther back than the cab. What a close call.

Anyway, I’ve been. Paying closer attention to detail now and I learned that my vehicle despite being lifted 6” is fairly built for weight. It has:

6 leaf, 3600# rated rear springs, air bags, sway bars, Rough Country performance 2.2 shocks, and E rated tires.

I wanted to reply to this post to quiz anyone with knowledge on NorthernLite 8-11, sportsmen edition which I’ve located surprisingly close to my house. It’s pricey but I have been rethinking my decision based on resale both before and after Highway’ Runners post about going nicer. That and going light too, given my lift.

Does anybody’s out there have a northern lite 8-11 on a lifted vehicle? Once again, thanks for all the support.

DeltaBravo-

I will be sleeping in the truck camper during the daytime in a busy parking lot in an area that can get hot in the summer.

NL= nice campers. You will want hard side for the quiet!

2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/21 01:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hedgehopper wrote:

deltabravo wrote:

hedgehopper wrote:

In order to minimize height and weight, you might want to consider a pop-up TC such as NorthStar, Hallmark, or Outfitter.

Those would be a nuisance to live in when parking near the OP's work site to avoid commuting.
How so? We lived in a popup TC off and on for ten years and did not find it to be a nuisance to live in.

Lol

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

burningman

Seattle, WA USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/21 01:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You need to disregard “stated” or “dry” weighs for campers.
That is always - yes always an unrealistic number.

A lifted shortbed was probably the worst choice for a dedicated camper hauler, but you can make it work. Loading and unloading the camper is going to be a pain, most campers aren’t set up to lift that high, They (or you can) make Jack extensions to lift it up higher, but especially if it’s an older camper it’s likely to get real “iffy”. I used to park between a tree and another truck, then run ratchet straps sideways off each side of the camper to them, to prevent the camper from crashing.

2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

F-350shortBed

Natividad Medical Center

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/21 05:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I understand that at this point, the reason I am posting about this is because I’m seeking realistic informations specific to individual campers from people who actually have them. If you read through the post this point has been reinforced throughout.

I see that you have a northern lite camper on your rig there, is there any realistic information you could offer me like how much it realistically weighs in relation to the stated weight?

To summarize what I’m realistic about, please berate me further if you disagree:

I think I need a hard sided TC without a slide that has a low stated weight and is made for a shortbed.

Geo*Boy

Unknown

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/21 06:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Shortbed, take a look at the Northstar Arrow 8.5. They are optimized to work with SRW trucks and are a really well built camper.

F-350shortBed

Natividad Medical Center

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/21 07:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GeoBoy-

Awesome thank you, I like the removable black tank idea and the dimensions of that model

joerg68

St. Ingbert, Germany

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/21 05:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Northstar has a few hardwall offerings for SB trucks. They make a good product. We are happy with ours (Arrow Long Bed version).

You might also look at Bundutec - they come with a Truma furnace/water heater. They will also do a lot of individual customizing for you.

https://bundutecusa.com/bunduvry/

2014 Ford F350 XLT 6.2 SCLB + 2017 Northstar Arrow

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> New F350 owner seeks TC information
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.