|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> New F350 owner seeks TC information

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Geo*Boy

Unknown

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/21 07:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

F-350shortBed wrote:

GeoBoy-

Awesome thank you, I like the removable black tank idea and the dimensions of that model

You will also like the ease in which to draw off the grey water into a bucket. No need to go to the dump station.

slider45

GA

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/21 04:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

joerg68 wrote:

Northstar has a few hardwall offerings for SB trucks. They make a good product. We are happy with ours (Arrow Long Bed version).

You might also look at Bundutec - they come with a Truma furnace/water heater. They will also do a lot of individual customizing for you.

https://bundutecusa.com/bunduvry/

Another guy here recommends Northstar. We'll definitely consider them for the incoming F350 project. We'll just finish installing the bumpers and winch, plus the winter tires and wheels packages on the current Silverado project.

hedgehopper

Denver

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/15/21 12:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

deltabravo wrote:

hedgehopper wrote:

In order to minimize height and weight, you might want to consider a pop-up TC such as NorthStar, Hallmark, or Outfitter.
Those would be a nuisance to live in when parking near the OP's work site to avoid commuting.
It appears that the OP wants to purchase a hardside and is not considering a popup. Nevertheless, I want to amplify my previous response re popups being a "nuisance."

After years of tent camping and a round trip to Alaska in our pickup with topper, we bought our first truck camper, a Phoenix popup. Our first day on the road, when we stopped for the night, it was raining a bit. But our spirits were not dampened. On the contrary, we were elated. The entry in our trip log reads, “We managed to pop the top without getting too wet. Inside, we were able to get everything set up for the night. We decided that this camper is just the finest thing.”

Did we consider our popup “a nuisance”? Hardly. And if the OP’s camper is going to sit in a parking lot for days at a time, what difference would it make if it’s a popup?

F-350shortBed

Natividad Medical Center

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/21 02:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think I’ll sleep better during the daytime in a hard sided camper during the summer temperatures with more insulation. Also noise level will be lessened during the day while I’m trying to sleep all day long. Also won’t have to close it before I drive home. One less thing to do after three 13 hour nighshifts, all the better.

hedgehopper

Denver

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/15/21 01:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

F-350shortBed wrote:

I think I’ll sleep better during the daytime in a hard sided camper during the summer temperatures with more insulation. Also noise level will be lessened during the day while I’m trying to sleep all day long. Also won’t have to close it before I drive home. One less thing to do after three 13 hour nighshifts, all the better.
I agree. Thanks for responding.

hedgehopper

Denver

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/15/21 04:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

F-350Shortbed wrote:

Does anybody’s out there have a northern lite 8-11 on a lifted vehicle?
Before we bought our Northern Lite 10-2, we rented a NL Sportsman 8-11 on a Ford F350 SRW shortbed. No the Ford was not lifted. But the experience was positive enough that we decided to buy the NL 10-2. I think the NL actual weights are posted in the closet. Ours is.

Northern Lites are some of the lightest TCs for their size on the market -- maybe the lightest. So you're on the right track. If you want that Sportsman and the price is right, you'd better grab it because it won't last long.

How do you know if the price is right? If it's gone before you have a chance to get it. Sorry, I know that's no help. It's hard to compare prices because their are so few used NLs on the market.

I'm rooting for you to get the Sportsman. Good luck.

F-350shortBed

Natividad Medical Center

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/21 07:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The 8-11 was here near me but I think the company moved it to Sacramento, I see a camper there now that looks the same, it does not have a ladder on it. It listed for the same price. The price is extremely high. I’m not really in a hurry though.

Here is a good question, will a dealership let you test load and drive a camper around in your truck? I feel like paying higher prices would be worth it if you could test drive it.

They’re listing the 2018 NL 8-11 for $34,999.

hedgehopper

Denver

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/16/21 12:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

F-350shortBed wrote:

The 8-11 was here near me but I think the company moved it to Sacramento, I see a camper there now that looks the same, it does not have a ladder on it. It listed for the same price. The price is extremely high. I’m not really in a hurry though.

Here is a good question, will a dealership let you test load and drive a camper around in your truck? I feel like paying higher prices would be worth it if you could test drive it.

I looked online and that was the asking price for the one or two 2018 8-11 Sportsman that I saw, with a 2017 for $2000 less. If you want to do a test drive you can always ask and explain why you want to test drive it on your truck. The worst they can do is say no.

billtex

RI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/16/21 06:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

F-350shortBed wrote:

I don’t know anyone who has ever been able to test drive a TC on their truck. There are a lot of details that go into setting up the truck/camper combo (tie downs, etc)

You might as k the dealer if they have a truck you might be able to test drive.

You are overthinking this. F350 + NL = great setup. Go buy it before it’s gone.

2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

mbloof

Beaverton, OR

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/21 06:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While NL's are marketed for 3/4 and 1T trucks, the challenge here is if the camper can be lifted enough to get it on the bed.

Camper jacks don't extend forever. Considering that fully retracted the camper will sit ~1 foot (or less) off the ground, how much lift is needed to reach your trucks bed? (keep in mind that many want a few inches extra gap between the bed and the bottom of the camper when lifted)

What is the distance from the ground to the inside bed of your level truck?

- Mark0.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> New F350 owner seeks TC information
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.