|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> New F350 owner seeks TC information

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
F-350shortBed

Natividad Medical Center

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/21 07:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gotcha

StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/21 06:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

billtex wrote:

StirCrazy wrote:

F-350shortBed wrote:

These are all excellent points. I am considering brand new Northstars. Also, in terms of blocks to get the camper high enough, I was looking at these :

Camco FasTen 2x2 RV Leveling Block For Single Tir... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00T36IQJO/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_api_glt_fabc_D7N66G18D1VRNWF2RXPK?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I was thinking that I could also use them in the parking lot at work for the truck tire level as well. In the meantime I cannot buy anything until the correct torklift tie down arrives in the mail and I install them.

dont waist money on thoes for loading and unloading they wont hold up to the weight of camper jacks on them. just figure out how much more hight you need then either use a cinder block with wood on top or just build good heavy duty wood blocks out of scrap 2x4's

Steve

Right. I don’t think OP plans to unload in the hospital parking lot?
Use the cinder blocks at home.
We seldom unload when using the TC, pretty much unload only at home.

wasnt taking about takeing it off when camping. If the jacks on the camper are hydraulic they shouldn;t be used for anything but loading and unloading. so thats the only place I use cinder blocks. to level the camper you should level the truck, for that thoes bloces will work, but I wouldnt put them under any jack with out a chunk of 2X wood the same size to spread the weight out. seen a bunch of small jack feet blast right through them.

Steve

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK

Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/21 11:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

F-350shortBed wrote:

Ground to bed is about 38.25”

Both my Arctic Fox and Host cleared my 42" flat bed height without cribbing the jacks, but they are within inches of full extension.

Chevy Sonic 1.8-Honda Passport C70B-Host Mammoth 11.5-Interstate Car Carrier 20-Joyner SandViper 250-Kawasaki Concours ZG1000-Paros 8' flatbed-Pelican Decker DLX 8.75-Ram 5500 HD-Tank Urban Touring 150SE-VW TransBuggy 1200

F-350shortBed

Natividad Medical Center

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/21 12:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’m going into a dealership this weekend to view a 2018 NL 8-11 the description sort of didn’t fit NL’s 2018 brochure. It has the U shaped dinette but they stated it was sportsmen and an extra dry bath which is a different model, and I don’t think the sportsmen came with U shaped dinette.

But maybe since this was made for a rental company it’s sort of a bastard model.

Please crowd source a good hard bargaining strategy for me. Again, thank you for all your feedback, it’s been very informative and I’ve gained a lot of perspective I never would have had I not started posting in the forums.

The TC was a rental unit, it has no ladder mounted, I already gave away the thought that I sort of liked the fact that it didnt have a ladder, unfortunately. I don’t think there are any awnings on the TC and I’m sure that many a euro tourists has performed lurid acts and discharged bodily fluids all over the inside the camper.

Any pointers on were to focus my inspection and bargaining tips would be greatly appreciated.

Best,
F350

billtex

RI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/19/21 05:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

F-350shortBed wrote:

I’m going into a dealership this weekend to view a 2018 NL 8-11 the description sort of didn’t fit NL’s 2018 brochure. It has the U shaped dinette but they stated it was sportsmen and an extra dry bath which is a different model, and I don’t think the sportsmen came with U shaped dinette.

But maybe since this was made for a rental company it’s sort of a bastard model.

Please crowd source a good hard bargaining strategy for me. Again, thank you for all your feedback, it’s been very informative and I’ve gained a lot of perspective I never would have had I not started posting in the forums.

The TC was a rental unit, it has no ladder mounted, I already gave away the thought that I sort of liked the fact that it didnt have a ladder, unfortunately. I don’t think there are any awnings on the TC and I’m sure that many a euro tourists has performed lurid acts and discharged bodily fluids all over the inside the camper.

Any pointers on were to focus my inspection and bargaining tips would be greatly appreciated.

Best,
F350

Are you in Canada?

Don’t see many TC rentals in US.

Anyway, being so new there shouldn’t be much damage-unless it was in an accident. So look for obvious physical damage, leaks, and check all the appliances.

As far as bargaining-in this climate? Good luck. You’ll be lucky if its not sold before you get there!
If it was used you might ask if they will throw in any tie downs they had.

You can add awning and ladder later.

Good luck!

2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/21 09:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

F-350shortBed wrote:

Best,
F350

look for soft spots and staining on the cealing along the edges and in the cubbords, same for floors and around windows. anywhere there is a vent take a look at the celing around it.

Steve

F-350shortBed

Natividad Medical Center

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/21 11:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Follow up and post end-

I didn’t really have the greatest experience with the dealer. I viewed the camper and was slightly underwhelmed (for my needs). I think the NL is a fantastic high quality TC but for me it was lacking in some departments, but overall my biggest complaint was the dealer. I’ve have never bought anything from a dealer because I cannot stand their tactics.

First off, this dealer contacted me when I sent an email to Northstar about purchasing a new lower cost model for 25k. I guess that Northstar simply forwards email to their distributors in order to expedite sales of existing campers. The dealer contacted me on the phone within hours of sending the email, he described the unit and I recognized what he was describing from a Craigslist post which had been removed earlier. I confirmed that it was the same camper and the listed price was $34,999. The dealer’s NL TC didn’t have a ladder and I was told that because it was made for a rental company NL didn’t install backing behind the fiberglass to install one and NL specifically told this dealer that they wouldn’t sell him a ladder because of this detail.

During my viewing I went onto the roof to inspect the possibility of installing racks and I considered using a telescoping ladder for accessing the racks (I own 14 surfboards). I found very little useable roof space on top due to the curves and large AC unit mounted central to the roof. I discovered that there was a hole in the ac unit where someone had driven into something and the vent over the shower had been degraded with a small hole as well. The interior of the camper was in like new condition. The dinette was small, the table could barely fit two plates, and the length of the area in bed mode could only accommodate a person less than 5’8”, otherwise someone up to 6’2” ish could fit diagonally. There was no other bunk option above.

Despite all this I thought the camper was pretty awesome and the following monday I went back and made a 30k offer and was told that the camper was 36k. Then the salesmen started going on about how electric jacks had been installed since the $34,999 price, which the owner had not mentioned being installed recently when I had previously viewed it. On the drive home the owner of the dealership called me and was palpably insulted by the tone of his voice on my offer but he came down to $35,500. Then he mentioned an old 2008 Lance 845 for sale for ...you get the picture.

Anyways it was a nice camper and I’m sure the market can yield the sale at that price but given my original hunt for a sub 25k TC and a bad taste in my mouth about the raising the asking price $1000 I decided I was done with dealerships.

I had been watching some campers on Craigslist and noticed one of them had been reduced $2000. I jumped to get down and view the 2013 Lance 865 and the condition was as described minus a functioning heater and the unit had racks already installed with a ladder. The dinette bed could accommodate a surf buddy at 5’10” and my daughter could sleep in the bunk above it. The unit had previously been owned by a fire fighter who parked the unit inside an aircraft hangar for half its life. This TC also came with torklift fast guns.

I set it on my lifted truck and the springs barely moved. My truck handles better than some Cadillac’s that I’ve driven with this camper mounted.

For the record my vehicle is lifted with 4” leveling kit(new information), after market shocks , #3600 lbs , 6 leaf rear springs, after market sway bar, air bags, and larger tires .

Anyway’s I’m stoked and thanks for all your feedback, I’m starting a new post on jump boxes please chime in if you have recommendations for a 7.3 liter Diesel engine.

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/21 06:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Congratulations.

I had a bad experience with an attempt at my first purchase, too. Funny thing was it wasn’t even about price, yet. I had my check book in my pocket to pay cash. I wasn’t going to buy from a jerk. The dealer I bought from was just the opposite.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

Bert the Welder

Van. Island

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/21 09:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Congrats F350. I don't blame you for walking. Even if they hit my price, I'd walk from a cheese-ball, game player in a hot second. Can't abide it.
Don't forget to show us a pic!

"> 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.

F-350shortBed

Natividad Medical Center

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/21 01:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’ve been trying to figure out how to upload an image but I can’t figure it out.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> New F350 owner seeks TC information
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.