|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Crossover SUV trailers

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Boomerweps

Hills of PA

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/21 09:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The teardrop TABs seem pretty aerodynamic and light. Had a fellow camper in a teardrop pull in next to us once, just himself and a small dog. Looked nice from the outside.

2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, TBC

VolantDogs

Northeast MD

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/21 10:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm looking at these because they are similar in shape to TABs but actually lighter and significantly cheaper (but still have a 2 yr warranty)

https://www.braxtoncreek.com/model/bushwhacker-plus-teardrop

rexlion

Broken Arrow OK

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/21 12:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

VolantDogs wrote:

I'm looking at these because they are similar in shape to TABs but actually lighter and significantly cheaper (but still have a 2 yr warranty)

I looked at the pics and specs for the 17BH. Looks interesting.

The 5K btu AC might struggle in outside temps higher than 90 degrees, and I've had a couple of side-vent fridges (as opposed to roof vent) that had trouble in heat as well. Where and when you want to camp might matter.

I'll also comment that the main deterrence for me personally would be the relative lack of upper cupboards for storage. I've had a trailer in the past (an Aliner) with no upper storage, and at my age bending over to dig through under-seat storage or bottom cupboards for every single thing I need quickly became tiresome. But if you're in your 40s or younger, that might not matter so much to you.

Those are the only negatives that come to mind right now. The company's philosophy sounds nice. The cynic in me wonders how long they'll be independent, though, since the large companies can make a small RV mfr's owners quite well off when buying them out... and that might be the real goal, eventually! Until then they might build some decent stuff.

Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/21 09:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lwiddis wrote:

“I'm looking for feedback on: how important is the size/shape of the front of the trailer?“

Power won’t be an issue IMO, so no need to be picky on the trailer’s aerodynamics. I believe you have under estimated the trailer cargo weight you’ll carry (water, propane, batteries etc.) but even with 1000 to 1200 pounds you should be under on max tow and payload weight of the Traverse. I suggest you reconsider a single axle trailer. Two axles can more easily carry the weight and make blowouts more manageable.

Do you even know which side of the weight cop fence you're on anymore? LOL

Your first sentence is horrible advice. Aerodynamics plays as much or greater role in ease of towing (aka stress on the tow vehicle drivetrain) as weight does.
Secondly, the OP is actually on exactly the right track in finding a trailer that will be within the parameters of their towing and hitch/payload "ratings" and you suggest a tandem axle trailer?
Where are all the tandem axle TTs that are ideal for towing with that vehicle?
While waiting for that answer, I'll add that given your first statement regarding the lack of understanding the affects of aerodynamics, I could see where you also would not understand that a tandem trailer would also not be a step in the right direction for the OP and their particular vehicle.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/21 09:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

VolantDogs wrote:

Can't comment on the quality of them, no experience there, but from a towing standpoint, those 17' models would tow very nicely behind your vehicle.

VolantDogs

Northeast MD

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/21 10:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for taking a look.

I'm in my 30's and usually travel on the lighter side. Shouldn't be in 90+ too often I think. I'm a little torn between the 17FL (remove the recliner chair for either a dog bed or a crate and have a nice little coffee drinking nook) or just getting the 15FK because that should be really easy on my tow vehicle. in that one i think i'd fold down the back half of the dinette and make a smaller bed (about 40 x 70 i think that section is), and remove the table so i could sit and sleep still. not much extra room there.

rexlion

Broken Arrow OK

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/21 11:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Differences are only 2" of height and 420 lbs. Width is the same. They should tow virtually the same as far as wind resistance and drive train stress. Get the one you prefer. [emoticon]

How much are they asking for those? Just curious.

VolantDogs

Northeast MD

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/21 12:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They are actually very affordable trailers! Very in line with the regular Jayco and Coachmen types of the same size. I see them on sale from $12-15K on most dealer websites.

Regarding other comments: I have to think aerodynamics matter. I was looking for feedback on how MUCH they would affect me. I would have loved to buy a Tahoe or something that can pull maybe a 20' or so tandem axle comfortably, but realistically could not afford a newer one, and 95% or more of the vehicle's use will be without a trailer so mpg and comfort did matter - and having dog kennels means no pickups. I'm not looking for a luxury full time rig, just a comfortable compact campsite that will keep us out of the weather!

I was thinking probably the difference between a 16' and 18' long trailer couldn't be much, and weightwise even if I loaded 800lbs into the 17FL it would still only be 3100 (i'd be removing the recliner which removes some weight at least) which, with a reasonably aerodynamic shape, should be easy enough to pull? Vs if I add 800 to the 15FK I'd be looking at around 2800, I guess that's not really a big difference.

There are zero tandem axle trailers in this weight range, to whoever suggested that. It's why I end up with tongue weight as my limiting factor, and I've read on these and other forums that single axles can climb up in tongue weight really quickly - that makes sense to me, thus wondering about perhaps the shorter trailer being easier to balance.

I appreciate everyone's feedback, i have been going in circles on these ideas for a while now. Would have loved to find something with a real awning but can always toss a tent up if needed. Would rather preserve vehicle!

VolantDogs

Northeast MD

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/21 12:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

if my loaded trailer is 3100, I would have to be really cautious about the tongue weight loaded, because I'll also have the weight of the hitch/WDH setup as well. 15% of that puts me at 465, and 13% is 400ish...

I don't really see me putting 800lbs in the thing but better to plan for the worst, absolutely agree. Water (sometimes), some food for me and the dogs, bedding, maybe a dog crate or two - but with the extra payload i have i can also load that stuff in the vehicle I think, as long as i can avoid overdoing the rear axle weight?

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/21 01:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wouldn’t get too worried about the tongue weight within reason.
With a properly setup wdh and your plan to shift a little weight around if necessary, you can adjust for it. And we’re talking lightweight stuff here.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Crossover SUV trailers
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.