|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Fuel mileage

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
CabinetmakerII

Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/21/21 09:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dave H M wrote:

about 14-16 mpg with the FW in tow

WooooWeee I gotta get me one of those tow trucks. That is what I get running empty at best. [emoticon]

If you are quoting me Dave, I suggest you re-read what I wrote...

Cabinetmaker

2021 DRV 39 DBRS3
2017 F-450 4X4, Riece 24K Hitch
2011 F-450 4X4, Companion 18K Hitch, Air Bags (Retired)
2012 Cyclone 3800, 5th Airborne Kingpin (Retired)
2006 700 Arctic Cat ATV (X2)(Retired)
2014 Kawasaki Tyrex 4LE Side by Side

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/21 03:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CabinetmakerII wrote:

Dave H M wrote:

WooooWeee I gotta get me one of those tow trucks. That is what I get running empty at best. [emoticon]

Not you I don't think, there was a poster on the first or second page that was claiming 14-16 mpg pulling his 18,000 lb. fifth wheel. That raised a few eyebrows, and much disbelief. [emoticon]

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Dave H M

IL

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/21 07:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

the ryder is correct. [emoticon]

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/21 10:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

CabinetmakerII wrote:

Dave H M wrote:

Not you I don't think, there was a poster on the first or second page that was claiming 14-16 mpg pulling his 18,000 lb. fifth wheel. That raised a few eyebrows, and much disbelief. [emoticon]

You referring to me? If so my FW is nowhere near 18k. Not sure where that came from. It's slightly over 11k.

While I understand that MPG was never impressive on most trucks, it certainly wasn't on my old Ford, the new 6.7 with the 10 spd tranny is pretty impressive. Just about doubles the mileage on previous versions. I don't fret over MPG, never have, but that's what the computer tells me. I don't calculate it myself, and as another poster pointed out, I hadn't reset it so some of these figures could be skewed with non towing MPG. So there is that.

You guys sure do like to get your knickers all in a twist when someone has better MPG than the status quo. New trucks are more powerful and much more efficient. You should try driving one and educate yourself. Until you truly know what you are talking about it's all just drivel.

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/22/21 10:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

way2roll wrote:

fj12ryder wrote:

CabinetmakerII wrote:

Dave H M wrote:

You referring to me? If so my FW is nowhere near 18k. Not sure where that came from. It's slightly over 11k.

While I understand that MPG was never impressive on most trucks, it certainly wasn't on my old Ford, the new 6.7 with the 10 spd tranny is pretty impressive. Just about doubles the mileage on previous versions. I don't fret over MPG, never have, but that's what the computer tells me. I don't calculate it myself, and as another poster pointed out, I hadn't reset it so some of these figures could be skewed with non towing MPG. So there is that.

You guys sure do like to get your knickers all in a twist when someone has better MPG than the status quo. New trucks are more powerful and much more efficient. You should try driving one and educate yourself. Until you truly know what you are talking about it's all just drivel.

Ask me if I really care what my true MPG is.... I will say no.. As long as I get there safe, that's all I care about.. Sure, I will try for the best MPG's but let's face it.. when towing a larger fiver that's hard to do all the time.

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/21 12:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

YEP, I 100% agree. If I can afford doing this I won't worry about if it's 8,9 or 10mpg. As said dependable is what's most important!!!

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/21 12:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

way2roll wrote:

fj12ryder wrote:

The original poster, not you BTW, claimed 13-14 mpg with a 2004 diesel pulling an 18,000 lb. fifth wheel.

FWIW, I can almost believe your claim, at least the low end. I got 12-12.5 mpg with my 2001 Dodge Cummins, pulling a 12,000 lb. fifth wheel. So a little higher mileage pulling a little lighter 5th wheel with slightly better aerodynamics could certainly happen.

But it certainly is uncommon since you rarely hear of anyone purporting to get that kind of mileage pulling a large-ish 5th wheel.

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/22/21 01:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

way2roll wrote:

While I understand that MPG was never impressive on most trucks, it certainly wasn't on my old Ford, the new 6.7 with the 10 spd tranny is pretty impressive. Just about doubles the mileage on previous versions.

Double, sure, that's gonna happen.

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/21 02:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

way2roll wrote:

While I understand that MPG was never impressive on most trucks, it certainly wasn't on my old Ford, the new 6.7 with the 10 spd tranny is pretty impressive. Just about doubles the mileage on previous versions.

Double, sure, that's gonna happen.

I said just about, try not to take it too literally. Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss it.

ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/22/21 03:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When we bought our FW, we had an F250 V10 6.8L pickup. We got 7 mpg towing. We had an auxiliary tank and it still stopped at all gas stations! Then we got our current pickup, F350 DRW Diesel. We get anywhere from 12 to 14 mpg depending on terrain. Not only is it a breeze to have as a tow vehicle, but the fuel savings far outweigh the additive and oil changes.

2011 Bighorn 3055RL
2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley BD3
1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica and Mabel, both Rat Terriers!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Fuel mileage
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.