|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Have to wonder how this will effect the EV aficionados

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/07/21 12:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What happened to: "what is good for GM is good for the country" ?

Lead, follow or just stand out of the way....

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

wanderingaimlessly

SOBOVA

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/21 12:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pitch wrote:

Should I find a sarcasm font for the seditious part?
The point of the OP was to promote a falsehood.
There by stirring dissention
thereby spreading misinformation
thereby developing a cult
resulting in January 6th!

Not at all. My point is that the cost savings of ev's is about to evaporate. The states are going to run into more cash shortages as well, and throw road taxes into the grid power pricing structure as well to make up for what was lost as more fossil fuels are shifted away from direct consumption in ICE engines with the associated taxes attached, to electric power which was not contributing to the highway maintenance. YES I know the EV folks will claim they will be paying with their registrations, but consider how much is paid in fuel charges, (think .40 to .60 per gallondepending on where you are) and how expensive your registration will become.
No politician will allow anything that doesnt INCREASE their cash haul.

* This post was edited 02/07/21 12:53pm by wanderingaimlessly *

routeforty

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/21 03:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

blt2ski wrote:

routeforty wrote:

Ohio has already started on extra charges. $100 extra for license plates for hybrid cars and $200 for electric vehicles. The plates for my Camry hybrid cost more than my dually, class c and other car-combined. [emoticon] [emoticon]

Be it good or bad, both IMHO
At least here in Wa St, EV and log rigs do not pay fuel tax on fuels used to go down the road. So those folks do not pay into funds for repairs. ASSUMING that is how your jurisdiction like mine gets road repair maintenance funds. The extra being paid to register your EV, should and would be expected by me any how, so I'm contributing my share to said projects.
I realize some may not agree with this, reality is, we all need to pay for this in some way shape or form. The big question becomes how!

Marty
Marty, yes that is how Ohio works also, fuel tax pays for road upkeep. Ohio, under the guise that hybrid vehicles use less fuel therefore pay less for the road use than nonhybrid models, this difference must be made up. Theoretically, this is correct, in most cases, but does not take into consideration the mileages on all vehicles-sort of a blanket 'fix'. My Camry hybrid(not an EV) gets 34 mpg; according to my research online and comparing several friends Camrys, their non hybrids are getting the same mpg as my hybrid. Yet I pay $100 more yearly for my registration. This would be easier to swallow if there were several mpg difference. But, as long as I have the vehicle I just pay it while shaking my head, and look at the bright side. I believe Ohio's plates cost much less than most states-about $35 a yr plus $100 hybrid fee, my motorhome is only about $40. We also have no personal property tax on vehicles. So the logical part of me says just shutup and be thankful you're not paying what most other states are paying. But it still irks me a little. Gary

2018 coachmen leprechaun class c

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/21 03:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GDS-3950BH wrote:

jdc1 wrote:

I'm going to weigh in on solar. I have an all-electric, 3,000 square foot home. I have no electric bill. I have a plug-in Prius. I will soon have an electric car, replacing the Prius. I have not paid for electricity in over 8 years. PG&E actually owes me money (which I do not care about). I have an 8.2K solar system on my roof. With net metering and grid connectivity, I do not worry about anything.

Good for you and a good thing you live in an area that gets @ 270 days of sunshine per year. It may work well in your case, but maybe not so much for someone who lives in Duluth MN or Buffalo NY, especially where return on investment is concerned.

Biden's energy policy is a typical government one size fits all bovine excrement plan, which he intends to force down your throat to appease his base and handlers, enjoy it.

Once you realize, The entire country is in it together you will understand that areas and individual homes that have solare also benefit you in the long run.
As more and more houses come off the grid and are able to generate and even sell back their own electricity we as a country become less dependent on fossil fuels.
The fact is rooftop solar panels and the Tesla are changing the game now. These ideas and technologies are no longer just a theoretical dream. Like it or not, support it or not? The energy,transportation revolution is underway. The financial markets will take care of themselves. Supply and demand will ultimately reduce big oil, however a version of big Renewable will come into play.
Meanwhile technology will continue to take us to new heights and lows as it has always done.

2019 Duramax w/hips,2012 Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,RV safepower,17" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/07/21 04:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

blt2ski wrote:

routeforty wrote:

Ohio has already started on extra charges. $100 extra for license plates for hybrid cars and $200 for electric vehicles. The plates for my Camry hybrid cost more than my dually, class c and other car-combined. [emoticon] [emoticon]

Be it good or bad, both IMHO
At least here in Wa St, EV and log rigs do not pay fuel tax on fuels used to go down the road. So those folks do not pay into funds for repairs. ASSUMING that is how your jurisdiction like mine gets road repair maintenance funds. The extra being paid to register your EV, should and would be expected by me any how, so I'm contributing my share to said projects.
I realize some may not agree with this, reality is, we all need to pay for this in some way shape or form. The big question becomes how!

Marty

Marty, don't log trucks and other truckers pay a weight mile tax, that replaces the fuel tax?
I know Oregon is looking at a way to tax EV's on miles driven. Maybe this will be come a standard. I know one of the issues with the mileage tracking devices is privacy issues, as currently are GPS device that track all movement.

When it come to fuel efficiency, compared to a 2,000# car, our Ram DRW (10,000#) does well, we would move a 2,000# car at 75 mpg equivalent

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

qtla9111

Monterrey, Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/21 04:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Changes in weather have led to the migration of peoples for millennia. With a change to renewables, why couldn't it be possible that over time people move to warmer climates? We base our general knowledge on what we know and what we have lived which is a blip in time. We need to look back about 200,000 years to see shifts in migration associated with climate.

Nothing is static and all of this could change again. The possibility exists that we may all stay put and something new such as advanced small modular reactors (SMRs) could come to save the day.

People find it very hard to be objective when it comes to science, politics and religion. It's not all one way or the other. That's why we are where we are today. No one wants to negociate anymore. It's either my way or no way. It has never worked.

2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

blt2ski

Kirkland, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/21 04:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rhagfo
Has not hit us yet. We still have tonnage fees at about $15 per ton registration for any vehicles designed to carry wieght. Be it personal or commercial in nature. ALONG with I believe the 2nf highest fuel tax per gal. Massachusetts I believe has highest tax per gallon.
As pointed out by another, when you do not pay income tax, or property other taxes others pay......sometimes it's better to keep ones mouth shut on the issue. Especially knowing you will pay, it's a how will you pay! I will reiterate my thought on the one person who pays extra for what I thought was a 100% EV vs hybrid. Our local govermental entities need funds to build repair our roads....we will pay a tax, be it what I or you think is a correct or incorrect method or not.

Marty

92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
00 Chev C2500, V5700, 4L80E, 4.10, base truck, no options!
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Check RV.Net Blogs at: blog.rv.net

Lwiddis

Bishop area, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/07/21 05:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I smell fear.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

blt2ski

Kirkland, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/21 05:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Actually, now that I typed what I did about tonnage a fuel tax fees. It's dawning on me, that if you are an OTR rig crossi g many state lines etc, their is a pay by the mike tax you can do vs paying fuel tax.
From a personal level towing hauling generally in state, only in three counties as I do, easier simpler to pay tonnage and fuel taxes. I personally don't see a problem paying higher registration fees to EV's and LPG rigs as they don't have a tax added to the fuel they use, be it per falling or KW.
My opinion only,yours may very well be opposite, I'm ok with that.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/21 08:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wanderingaimlessly wrote:

If the article is correct, the way to make wind and solar cost effective has been decided,,,,, raise the cost of coal and natural gas tenfold.
energy article.

Surprize surprize it is funded by the petrochemical industry.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_Epstein_(American_writer)

In 2015, The Guardian published an opinion piece by Jason Wilson critical of Epstein and CIP, stating, "Epstein's work has been popular and influential on the right because it is a particularly fluent, elaborate form of climate denialism. The CIP prides itself on being able to train corporate leaders to 'successfully outmessage "environmentalists"'."[6] He also criticizes Epstein for being an "ideologue" funded by petrochemical billionaires, the Koch brothers.[6]

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, soon to have SiO2 batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Have to wonder how this will effect the EV aficionados
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.