|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Have to wonder how this will effect the EV aficionados

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
free radical

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/21 09:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Steeljag wrote:

What energy sources are used to make these computer products we are all typing on ?

Was your device made in China.?

Then probably renewable energy such as solar or wind or hydro

https://youtu.be/Lvem_WvLiDU

free radical

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/21 10:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wanderingaimlessly wrote:

pitch wrote:

Should I find a sarcasm font for the seditious part?
The point of the OP was to promote a falsehood.
There by stirring dissention
thereby spreading misinformation
thereby developing a cult
resulting in January 6th!

Not at all. My point is that the cost savings of ev's is about to evaporate. The states are going to run into more cash shortages as well, and throw road taxes into the grid power pricing structure as well to make up for what was lost as more fossil fuels are shifted away from direct consumption in ICE engines with the associated taxes attached, to electric power which was not contributing to the highway maintenance. YES I know the EV folks will claim they will be paying with their registrations, but consider how much is paid in fuel charges, (think .40 to .60 per gallondepending on where you are) and how expensive your registration will become.

No politician will allow anything that doesnt INCREASE their cash haul.

Then the politician will be replaced with someone who works for the people and not only the super rich.

Someone who doesnt waste trilions $$ on military and invests in infrastructure and clean energy instead.
Like so

https://youtu.be/MJLpGiHhr8E

Nice dream huh
Choice is yours tho fight like cats n dogs or . .

GDS-3950BH

DC

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/21 12:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

free radical wrote:

Steeljag wrote:

What energy sources are used to make these computer products we are all typing on ?

Was your device made in China.?

Then probably renewable energy such as solar or wind or hydro

https://youtu.be/Lvem_WvLiDU

[image]

Sure....solar and wind and hydro oh my. Those silly Chinese. They had nothing to do with Covid 19 by the way, it was released in a fart by a Belgian Unicorn.

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/21 05:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GDS-3950BH wrote:

[image]

I remember Houston looking like this flying into Hobby in the early 70`s. I wonder what changed?

2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens, PullRite SuperGlide 2700 15K
2013 KZ Durango 2857

shelbyfv

TN

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/21 06:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^^^^Yep. I lived in Birmingham AL in the early 70s. Depending on which side of the mountain you lived, you might be washing the soot off your windshield each morning. Though the sunsets were gorgeous....

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/21 06:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

shelbyfv wrote:

^^^^Yep. I lived in Birmingham AL in the early 70s. Depending on which side of the mountain you lived, you might be washing the soot off your windshield each morning. Though the sunsets were gorgeous....

Sounds like we found somebody old enough, and honest enough to recognize that in many parts of the country air quality has improved in the last half century. Now if we could just understand none of that improvement was because business decided to produce cleaner products, or use cleaner methods to produce them

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/08/21 06:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jdc1 wrote:

I'm going to weigh in on solar. I have an all-electric, 3,000 square foot home. I have no electric bill. I have a plug-in Prius. I will soon have an electric car, replacing the Prius. I have not paid for electricity in over 8 years. PG&E actually owes me money (which I do not care about). I have an 8.2K solar system on my roof. With net metering and grid connectivity, I do not worry about anything. Power outage? I just start my Honda generator I have for camping. My initial investment was $15,000. My return on investment (ROI) was just over 4 years (50 months). I will have saved over $100,000 in electric costs in 25 years (plus any increases of PG&E Costs). My system will last in excess of 40 years. All parts are warrantied for 25 years. Panasonic, the panel manufacture, has been around since 1918, so I do not see them disappearing anytime soon. Enphase, the micro-inverter manufacture, is a worldwide Fortune 500 corporation. There is no maintenance per se. I hook my RV brush to a hose. Climb up my extension ladder and brush off the dust and dirt twice a year. It takes less than 10 minutes. I can monitor each panel separately through my phone or computers. If I ever needed to replace a panel or micro-inverter, it requires removing 4 nuts and unplugging the panel. Yes....it is that simple. 95% of solar panels are recyclable, more than a car.
Solar is here to stay. Electric cars will become the norm. It may take some time, but, it will happen. Somewhere along the line, a newer source of energy will replace solar, hydro, wind, fossil fuels, geo thermal, ect. My guess is hydrogen.

So where does your electricity come from when the sun isn't up? And more importantly, who pays for it?

You do realize the actual fuel is only a small part of the cost of providing a KWH at a house. Effectively, your neighbors are subsidizing your electric bill.

When houses with solar are 0.1% of houses, govt initiatives like this work because they are so small as to be irrelevant.

Germany has taken it further and now has electric prices that are around 3-4 times as high as the USA. Australia is facing blackouts when the sun doesn't shine. They are then buying large battery banks at huge expense because the spot price of electricity has gone crazy as they give solar first dibs to sell power undermining traditional plants, so it artificially creates higher prices from traditional plants.

So far lots of folks saying the article is wrong but not providing any factual data to refute it.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/08/21 06:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

routeforty wrote:

Ohio has already started on extra charges. $100 extra for license plates for hybrid cars and $200 for electric vehicles. The plates for my Camry hybrid cost more than my dually, class c and other car-combined. [emoticon] [emoticon]

I'm confused. Why are you angry at being asked to provide a small percentage of your share to keep the roads up?

thomas201

Eastern Panhandle WV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/08/21 07:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For jdc1, ROI is a poor way to look at an investment. You need to use Discounted Cash Flow Rate of Return (aka Internal Rate of Return). This method allows you to put a percentage return on any investment. Thus you can compare it to treasuries, stock market indices, or heck fire, drilling oil wells. Then you need to factor in risk, if it doesn't return 2 or 3 times the 10 year treasury rate, why would you invest in it?

Make sure you include the costs of remove/install the solar when you need a new roof, etc, and etc. Since I live where we have short winter days, low sol angles, and snow; the math just didn't work out. Much better to buy electric and invest the money.

I did put a 50 amp in the garage, for the welder and a possible EV, as soon as we can buy one with 400 mile cold and snow range (special trip every 2 weeks, no stops), and is comparable over its lifetime costs to a Honda CRV. Right now depreciation kills an EV over the 8 to 10 years we keep a car. They are a gitting there, but not quite yet.

And yes, I really do look at the world this way, by nature and training.

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/08/21 07:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

routeforty wrote:

Ohio has already started on extra charges. $100 extra for license plates for hybrid cars and $200 for electric vehicles. The plates for my Camry hybrid cost more than my dually, class c and other car-combined. [emoticon] [emoticon]

I'm confused. Why are you angry at being asked to provide a small percentage of your share to keep the roads up?

I think the issue you are seeing is how do states tax road usage of EV equably to fossil fueled vehicles.
Until they can devise a way to track mileage driven then higher registration fees are one method.
It would be nice to have a method to track mileage without invading privacy.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Have to wonder how this will effect the EV aficionados
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.