RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Need Help with a route from Yuma AZ to Illinois in mid April

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Need Help with a route from Yuma AZ to Illinois in mid April

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
dedmiston

The West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/08/21 12:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A friend of mine just had to do the same thing, but from New England to L.A.

Same situation with the steep learning curve and then the interior sanitation, exterior cleaning, and then selling.

It was a lot of work and took them about six weeks counting the drive. This is a good time to sell though--it moved pretty fast once they listed it.

Have you considered cleaning it up in AZ and selling it there instead?

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

DGLEICH

yuma az

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/21 12:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dedmiston

we are hoping to keep it....

Janss

Sedona, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/08/21 01:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Did you try to get someone down there to open the windows to air out the MH?

I assume the Jeep is towed with all 4 wheels on the ground. Do they know that they shouldn't back up the motorhome with car in tow? I always use Google maps satellite view to look at gas stations and other parking lots to make sure that after entering, I can exit going forward, without having to back up.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

rk911

DuPage County

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/08/21 01:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

along the lines of where to furl...most of the Flying J truckstops have two separate long fuel lanes set aside for RVs. each lane usually has gas and diesel.

get the Pilot/Flying J app to make it easier.

Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

MountainAir05

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/21 02:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would say to stay off 54/70 due to place to fuel if you need it and if you have to pull over. Not a lot of spaces there. I drive once a month both roads and live where they both are. Very few places for help if need. They are good roads but if in a hurry not the ones to take.

Can't say about I 8 but 40 you will not have any issues with it and the climb out of Albuquerque is just down shift or slide over on 66 which runs right alone 40 and get back on in Edgewood NM.

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/08/21 07:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would take I8 to I10 to I 25 to get you up to ABQ. I 40 to I44 to St. Louis. You don't sat where in IL but you can make a plan during your trip up I44.

What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

DGLEICH

yuma az

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/21 08:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Janss, thanks for the extra info... was not aware of that!!!!

DGLEICH

yuma az

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/21 08:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks MountainAir05 and Bill.Satellite

Executive

California/Arizona/South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/21 10:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1. Check the cost of having someone experienced pick up the coach and drive it home. Someone not used to a large vehicle may have some issues you don't want to deal with. I went from a 30' gasser to a 40' diesel and used 4 hours of seat time around the Houston area at 2am just to get a "feel" of the rig before driving it back to California. Towing will make it just that much more difficult.

2. If hubby and/or friend are familiar with large vehicles, and/or are determined they can make this journey SAFELY, for them and others on the road, then I'd use Google maps and enter destination and starting point. They will provide several different routes to get you back to Illinois. The southern route will be the simplest with no snow to be worried about. Northern routes in April can be iffy. We are headed east in April ourselves and I have mapped out the northern and southern routes depending on weather conditions. How long will they drive in a day? Figure 45-55 miles per hour average. The tires, even if new, probably aren't rated for higher speeds. Towing, I wouldn't think of over 60mph at any time.

3. I'd take I-8 East from Yuma to I-10 East towards Tucson. Stay on I-10 to Las Cruces, NM then take US 70 north past White Sands Missle range, (4 mile climb) to Clovis,NM. Take US 60 north from Clovis to Amarillo, Texas. From there it's all interstates depending on where you want to go in Illinois.

4. Another option, which might be the safest/easiest, is for one to drive the coach and the other drive the jeep. Stop at truck stops, sleep in the coach and continue on. The savings on hotel rooms will pay for the cost of driving the jeep.

If you tell us where in Illinois you're headed we can provide further info...Dennis

We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Janss

Sedona, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/09/21 11:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree with suggestion to drive the two vehicles separately. The Jeep behind the motorhome. Bring walkie talkies or cell phones for each driver. The Jeep driver will be able to contact the mh driver if they see anything amiss.

I would also suggest sticking to interstates. There will always be another lane for people to pass, as mh driver will likely (or should) usually drive below the speed limit. I only go 60-65 max. Although I've driven on a multitude of 2-lane roads, I always feel pressured by the vehicles behind me.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Need Help with a route from Yuma AZ to Illinois in mid April
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.