RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: CDL Required to Drive Class A?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> CDL Required to Drive Class A?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
mobeewan

Hampton, Va

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/21 08:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some states require a CDL, some states require a Specialty License the rest only a regular DL. All states outside your home state honor your home state License regardless of the type, i.e. if your home state only requires a regular DL and you are driving in or through a state that requires a CDL you are good to drive in that state.

Matt from YouTube channel Matt's RV Reviews: Do you need a specialty License to drive an RV?

I saw something in the past week that indicated in Texas if you have a dually truck and and a 5th wheel trailer with gross vehicle weights of both truck and trailer added together totaled over 26000 pounds that you would need a class A license. It was stated that most people in Texas were not aware of the requirement and are towing illegally with that combination.

Texas Class A License requirement.

Texas info corrected. I found the video regarding Texas. It was for Class A and not A CDL.

* This post was last edited 02/08/21 08:44pm by mobeewan *   View edit history

PawPaw_n_Gram

On the Road Somewhere

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/21 08:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Texas had a Class A Non-Commercial License and a Class B Non-Commercial license available.

Not specifically for RVers, but it is good for those who that type RV.

No physical, or tests on logging requirements. Otherwise is the same written tests as for a CDL, including an available air-brake endorsement. There is also a road test.

A couple of things about the road test. They want you to take it in the vehicle you will be driving. More than one person I know has tried to take the test with someone else's 5th wheel, and been told no.

Also, they check the weight stickers on the truck and the trailer. If they do not add up to more than 26,000 lbs, they say no.

If driving a motorhome, that is a class B unless you tow a trailer over 10,000 lbs.

The Class B road test includes parallel parking the rig. Which really is not that hard, unless you get upset about it. (You cannot take the road test with the toad attached.)

Full-Time 2014 - ????

“Not all who wander are lost.”
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/21 10:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mobeewan wrote:

Some states require a CDL, some states require a Specialty License the rest only a regular DL. All states outside your home state honor your home state License regardless of the type, i.e. if your home state only requires a regular DL and you are driving in or through a state that requires a CDL you are good to drive in that state.

No state requires a CDL for any RV used for personal, noncommercial use. "Commercial motor vehicles" that require a CDL are defined at the federal level, and thus are consistent across all states; and RVs used for personal, noncommercial uses are specifically excluded in the definition of a commercial motor vehicle. If you're driving an RV for hire, that's a different situation, and you'd need a CDL if it's over the weight limits defining commercial motor vehicles.

(A few states do have more lenient licensing requirements for commercial motor vehicles operated in-state, such as looser requirements for certain situations such as farm trucks or intrastate commercial licenses that have lower age limits than federal CDLs. Those exceptions do not apply to interstate travel.)

ssthrd

Vancouver Island

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/21 02:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grey Mountain wrote:

I checked Oklahoma's requirements, and it just confused me. I have a text to the Oklahoma Department of Transportation asking for clarification.
If I need a commercial license or any type of idorsement, I've been driving illegally for 20 years. Only endorsement I have on my regular license is for motorcycles and horses.

GM

Good idea to contact DOT. I would be sure to mention that your RV has air brakes. Better to get the word from the horses mouth IMO.

2014 Laredo 292RL
2018 GMC 3500HD 6.5' box SRW Denali Duramax Anderson
DeeBee, JayBee, and Jed the Black Lab

Campinghoss@51

Windsor NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/09/21 05:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In NC, anything over 26001 you have to have a Class B. If diesel you need air brake endorsement. I had both when I had my 40 foot dp.

As already stated, check with your state requirement.

Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucky & Lucie

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/21 05:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your millage may vary (Laws vary from State to State)
A CDL is required to drive it for commercial reasons
For example Delivery from factory to dealer

For RV use you may need a standard operator's license or you may need a special endorsement. and another factor is the number often 24,000 or 26,000 OVER that number of pounds you need the endorsement. Under you do not.

There is a movement to require special licensing for all Large RV's.
I report the movement without comment as ... I have no comment to make.

Home is where I park it.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

sayoung

Tx

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/09/21 06:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP might look carefully at the Ok CDL handbook for " exceptions to the exemptions " . That's where here in Tx you find out about our A & B endorsement. The noncommercial handbook here just says RV's exempt from CDL. Confusing for sure.
Per our close friend that does commercial truck safety compliance for TxDPS the non-CDL licenses is part of states signing on to the Fed FMCA rules.

JaxDad

Greater Toronto Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/09/21 06:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grey Mountain wrote:

I'm sure this has been covered; however, I searched the forums and came up with nothing.
I drive a 39' Class A pusher with air brakes.

Some sources say I am good to go with my Oklahoma Class A license.

Clarification and informed comments welcome.

GM

One thing that I have not seen mentioned so far is in regards to the airbrakes itself. Some states do not require an endorsement to operate an air brake equipped vehicle. The problem is that this is an equipment regulation not a drivers license requirement and so it is not covered by reciprocity between states or provinces.

I’m not going to say it’s aggressively enforced, but, it would certainly ruin a trip to be told you can’t drive any further when you’re thousands of miles from home.

I watched exactly that happen in a random spot check, the driver was not a happy camper.

Horsedoc

Dixie --- N. Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/21 07:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How many people do you know or have heard of that were cited for wrong class of license (who were operating an RV for leisure) ??

What states don't have reciprocity with other states in licensing (non-commercial vehicles?? I don't think you will find Joe from any state getting shut down in any other state because he has a MH with air brakes and that state requires a special license to drive with air.

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/21 07:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

my standard drivers license clearly states that it is good for me to drive vehicles under 26,000 lbs. and if I am ever in a wreck with a RV over that weight, which is basically all diesel pushers, the first question I have for the investigating officer is " is the driver legally licensed to drive that vehicle".
bumpy

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> CDL Required to Drive Class A?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.