RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: CDL Required to Drive Class A?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> CDL Required to Drive Class A?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
sayoung

Tx

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/09/21 08:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Horsedoc wrote:

How many people do you know or have heard of that were cited for wrong class of license (who were operating an RV for leisure) ??

What states don't have reciprocity with other states in licensing (non-commercial vehicles?? I don't think you will find Joe from any state getting shut down in any other state because he has a MH with air brakes and that state requires a special license to drive with air.

On another rv forum about a year ago there was a guy gripping about being cited for wrong license driving a big MH pulling a Jeep here in Tx. So it can happen, very rare but with tax revenues down might be " easy Pickens " for revenue
As long as You have the CORRET license for your state your good . If I was stopped in say California my Class A nonCDL is valid. All the other rules such as length or chains on ball hitch's etc. still apply within each state.

robatthelake

Vancouver Island

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/09/21 01:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey GM you are not a commercial operator so do not require a Commercial Drivers Licence.
Furthermore you do require a valid license in your declared state of residence and will need to follow that states license requirements !
All States and Provinces have reciprocal agreements governing driver’s licenses!

That means as long as You are driving legally at home you are permitted to drive anywhere!

That does not cover vehicle rules and regulation however!

So as an example if you are from one of those few states that allows triple towing or has no restrictions on combined length you may get stopped and issued a fine for an infraction!

Rob & Jean
98 Dutch Star Diesel Pusher ..07 Honda CRV AWD

JaxDad

Greater Toronto Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/09/21 04:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Horsedoc wrote:

How many people do you know or have heard of that were cited for wrong class of license (who were operating an RV for leisure) ??

What states don't have reciprocity with other states in licensing (non-commercial vehicles?? I don't think you will find Joe from any state getting shut down in any other state because he has a MH with air brakes and that state requires a special license to drive with air.

Doc, I think you missed my point. Air brakes are NOT a “license” issue and so not covered by reciprocity either. An air brake “endorsement” is a sort of qualification to operate air brake systems.

In fact I watched exactly that happen. Spot checks are very common in Canada on holiday weekends, aimed at getting unsafe **** off the road. A guy & his wife in a DP class A found out 1,000+ miles from home that he didn’t have the required air brake endorsement. Unfortunately LEO’s can’t just look the other way anymore when they discover a problem.

otrfun

On The Road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/09/21 07:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JaxDad wrote:

Horsedoc wrote:

Doc, I think you missed my point. Air brakes are NOT a “license” issue and so not covered by reciprocity either. An air brake “endorsement” is a sort of qualification to operate air brake systems.

In fact I watched exactly that happen. Spot checks are very common in Canada on holiday weekends, aimed at getting unsafe **** off the road. A guy & his wife in a DP class A found out 1,000+ miles from home that he didn’t have the required air brake endorsement. Unfortunately LEO’s can’t just look the other way anymore when they discover a problem.
Agree that every driver of an RV should have the proper driver's license and all endorsements required by the state/province where they legally reside.

With that being said, I'd have to agree with Horsedoc, the odds of a "guy and his wife in a DP class A" driving without an air brake endorsement getting cited by an LEO while driving out-of-state in the US are virtually zero.

On the flipside, got to wonder what the odds are a Canadian LEO would cite an RV driver from the US (specifically Nevada) towing a 15k TT without a "J" endorsement?

PawPaw_n_Gram

On the Road Somewhere

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/21 08:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The only place I've ever heard anyone having a problem was after an accident.

A few times a warning, a few times a ticket, a few times an insurance company saying it was a problem.

Probably an old wives' tale, but the guy who ran into the back of a stopped school bus near Fort Worth a few years ago taking his new, first, DP home from the dealer supposedly got in a lot of trouble over denied coverage for not having a proper category license.

However, most of the people I know who do drive large DP do not have anything except their regular Texas, or other state, license.

Full-Time 2014 - ????

“Not all who wander are lost.”
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

Solo

NE Kansas/Central Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/10/21 05:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PawPaw_n_Gram wrote:

The only place I've ever heard anyone having a problem was after an accident.

A few times a warning, a few times a ticket, a few times an insurance company saying it was a problem.

Probably an old wives' tale, but the guy who ran into the back of a stopped school bus near Fort Worth a few years ago taking his new, first, DP home from the dealer supposedly got in a lot of trouble over denied coverage for not having a proper category license.

However, most of the people I know who do drive large DP do not have anything except their regular Texas, or other state, license.

I'm not an attorney but I did spend 20+ years in EMS and I actually did work a fatality accident involving a DP. A retired couple traveling through a small, rural mid-west town in their Foretravel DP hit a car broadside as the car was going through an intersection. Not being involved on the law enforcement side, I do not know how LE treated the incident but, vehicular homicide in this particular state would have very likely been an issue if the DP driver had not been properly licensed to drive this rig.

I've always wondered what happened to that couple but, I do know that I would suggest as many others already have here, find out what you need in YOUR state where you hold a valid DL to drive your RV and avoid the biggest mistake you can make. I will not be "like most other RVers and just go ahead and drive your RV without any special license because I've never heard of it being a problem". My state (as most do now) requires a non-CDL Class B license with air brakes endorsement to drive my current DP.

Solo
2011 Itasca Ellipse 42QD, 450 HP ISL Cummins
2012 Jeep JKU with SMI DUO Braking System
Our Travel Blog VolunteersWithAPurpose

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/21 05:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't know anything about what any state requires but I do have some thoughts; If you drive a vehicle with air brakes, you should at a least study the air brake section of the CDL manual, and be able to pass the written test, and check brake adjustment.
Juice brakes, if the auto adjusters don't work, the pedal will get closer to floor as need more travel to apply brakes. Might need a pump to get pressure up for faster stop. Even in normal gentle stops the driver gets feedback, "Hey, RV Net, do I need to get this fixed?"
OTOH, air system, you touch the foot-valve, air flows. For a gentle stop, unless all the stroke is used before shoes make contact, the stop is normal But if the next stop is because a car full of nuns pulled out in front of you, and you want more than normal pressure the system can put the pressure on the diaphragm, but the cams can't increase pressure on shoes.

JaxDad

Greater Toronto Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/10/21 06:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

otrfun wrote:

Agree that every driver of an RV should have the proper driver's license and all endorsements required by the state/province where they legally reside.

With that being said, I'd have to agree with Horsedoc, the odds of a "guy and his wife in a DP class A" driving without an air brake endorsement getting cited by an LEO while driving out-of-state in the US are virtually zero.

On the flipside, got to wonder what the odds are a Canadian LEO would cite an RV driver from the US (specifically Nevada) towing a 15k TT without a "J" endorsement?

Maybe my point is still unclear. An air “endorsement” is NOT a “license” and so it’s NOT covered by reciprocity. It is a form of “equipment regulation” which authorizes the holder to operate an air brake system. It is no different than axle weights or length. Being legal for 70’ in your home State does not mean 65’ States cannot stop you.

In this case, it’s not a citation issue. It’s a prohibition. If a LEO stopped you and you had no insurance the officer couldn’t just say “here’s your citation, be sure to drive carefully now.” They simply can’t turn a blind eye to it, especially these days.

schlep1967

Harrisburg, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/10/21 06:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Like many have said before, Check with your home state.
Pennsylvania has made it very clear what you need. This obviously does not apply to other states but it is a good example of what your state should have for information on the subject.

Non-commercial licensing in PA. RV licensing needs

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
2009 Open Range 385RLS
Pull-Rite Super Glide

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/10/21 06:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great link Schlep,

I "believe" that some or most states may require an "Air Brake Endorsement" for vehicles equipped with them.

I never really got too far into the process as I already have my CDL A with several endorsements, , ,A= combo > 26,000, M=motorcycle, P=passenger bus, T= doubles/triples, N=Tankers

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> CDL Required to Drive Class A?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.