RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class C Motorhomes: Flush Transmission and Radiator?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Flush Transmission and Radiator?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
klutchdust

Orange, California

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/21 09:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What gave me the shivers is ....." the quick oil change place said "...

From what I have seen they tend to be entry level jobs to start your resume. My extended family uses them and I have told them that I will change your air filter for

a third of the cost and "when it's needed". No sooner does your car go on the rack and you are visited by the "mechanic" holding your air filter. Yes, I understand

they are working as directed and may be commission based BUT the older and uninformed get taken advantage of and that burns my butt. Don't ask me my opinion

concerning extended warranties. There newest one is brake fluid replacement on a car used around town, come on.....

Are you towing, driving a heavier vehicle, don't know the proper way to descend hills with your trailer or motorhome I could see that being necessary....going for

groceries and tooling around town....absolutely not.

Chum lee

Albuquerque, NM

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/21 04:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LostInOz wrote:

Hey All,

I have a 2006 Chateau Sport (Class C) Chevy Express RV with about 60,000 miles on it. The previous owner took pretty good care of it, and I picked it up with about 38,000 miles on it. It's always been stored in a storage unit and is in really nice condition inside and out. It's my first RV and I've loved owning it.

Thanks in advance for your knowledge and advice.

Sounds like you got a great deal. Read the factory owners manual. Find the service schedule. Do what it says. Use the factory specified fluids. It's that simple.

Chum lee

Booner

Boonville, MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/11/21 08:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think the big destroyer of a transmission is heat, not age or mileage. At 60,000 mile and driving a heavy vehicle up and down hills and/or towing a vehicle, your tranny has gone through some heat cycles, so yes, I would change the fluid. And if you want to get real anal about your tranny, add a aftermarket tranny cooler after the radiator to help keep the tranny temps down. When I'm stopped at a long traffic light I put my tranny in neutral to help keep it from getting hot.

Your 'check engine light' might be something as simple as a loose fitting gas cap; either you didn't get it on securely or perhaps the rubber seal around the cap has a crack in it. It will take about a 1/2 dozen on/off cycles of your engine for the check engine light to switch off after you cap the gas tank tightly.

I like Mobile 1 oil.

CharlesinGA

South of Atlanta, Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/21 11:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

New hoses and new belts. Use OEM stuff. The auto parts store stuff is no where near as good. It will have some heater hoses with special quick disconnect ends on them. You can buy the ends at auto parts stores and then buy good red or blue jacket heater hose which will last forever. For the large radiator hoses I tend to go to the dealer, after that, Gates. All of the rubber parts on the vehicle are getting old. Power steering return hoses are probably rock hard, replace them and refill. The new fluid would be good for it. Pressure hoses hold up alot better. Brake fluid, bleed the fluid thru the system till fresh fluid is coming out. If you can find someone with the proper test box, they can exercise the anti lock brake pump to flush fluid thru it, then bleed again till fresh again. barring that, find a rural dirt road with loose dirt or gravel on it and lock up the brakes a few times to exercise the pump, then bleed again. The antilock never gets cycled so the fluid just sits in them. Brake fluid absorbs moisture, so it needs periodic replacement, otherwise the water in the fluid will boil when the brakes get hot and this causes lots of problems with brake operation and effectiveness just when you need them.

Charles

'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed std cab long bed Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180. SOLD - 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Flush Transmission and Radiator?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.