|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> New satellite dish

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Sandia Man

Rio Rancho, NM

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/21 10:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Up to just this past summer when we acquired another rig where the owner threw in both King Pro Directv and Dish domes, we would manually set up our own satellite antenna, always using the same version mounted at home. Sure there is a learning curve, but after a couple of decades I could set it up in the dark among towering ponderosa pines.

Really pretty easy, first and foremost, plumb the mast, pop on antenna, use compass and sat receiver to quickly dial in. Takes more time to get tripod and antenna out of storage bay than anything else, Dish takes longer as receiver is not as quick to respond to antenna adjustments. Takes about 10 minutes tops for programming to begin downloading process, I do this while DW sets up interior upon arrival.

For the most part we use the King Dish dome installing it in a special mount that allows for quick removal should we have some obstacle blocking signal access. We have accepted dome shortcomings of slower access to subscribed content, 1 HD and 1 SD output, and quicker signal loss due to inclement weather. We still carry residential antenna and tripod just in case.

2oldman

So Cal

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/21 11:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sandia Man wrote:

plumb the mast, pop on antenna, use compass and sat receiver to quickly dial in.
I've been having more difficulty than usual with my big DTV dish, mainly because 3 different alignment sources show 3 different settings. Azimuth 10° one way or another is no biggie, but a 3° difference in elevation is. I find the zip code entry on the receiver to be more accurate.

Sometimes I can do it in 1 minute, other times I can struggle a half-hour and still not find it. If that happens I move the tripod and start over.

And it seems like I have to 'sweep' much slower now as I keep thinking the receiver isn't responding as fast as it used to. I was told I was hallucinating, but it sure seems like it.

* This post was edited 02/10/21 12:05pm by 2oldman *

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/10/21 04:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As easy as it is to setup a good quality tripod I don't see where this would be worth the money, especially if it has to be fully torn down for storage as the video makes it appear.

What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

edatlanta

Maplesville, AL Home Base

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/11/21 05:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bill.Satellite wrote:

As easy as it is to setup a good quality tripod I don't see where this would be worth the money, especially if it has to be fully torn down for storage as the video makes it appear.

I have a DirecTV dish on a HD tripod that has not moved in 60mph gusting winds (it does have a 5 gallon bucket of water hanging from it for ballast). The tripod shown just wouldn't get my confidence. I don't use a $600 meter for aiming either. I use the DirecTV receiver signal strength screen and a wireless baby monitor to watch the screen when aiming. The skew he said was so hard to set just isn't true. I set it for the area I'm in before I install the dish on the tripod. Done.

He showed a signal strength of 83 on a couple of the sats, I have above 92 on all of mine virtually every place I set up.

Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> New satellite dish
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.