|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Do you let you kids drive your motorhome

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/10/21 09:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This depends on the son in law. Some people are good with stuff. Others... not so much.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/21 10:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

This depends on the son in law. Some people are good with stuff. Others... not so much.

Amen to that.

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

TexasShadow

Spring Branch, TX USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/10/21 10:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

our two sons, in their 50s now, have never asked to borrow our MH (20+years),
but both asked, years ago, if they could drive it to see what it's like, so Dad moved over to the passenger seat and let them have at it..on an Interstate. Both boys (men) lasted about 30 minutes and never asked again. I (wife) drove it for about the same amount of time the day we took ownership and started home...on an Interstate. I probably should have kept doing that until I got used to it, but sadly, did not, and now I sometimes think about what I would do if DH gets sick on the road, etc.

TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Horsedoc

Dixie --- N. Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/21 10:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had my youngest's husband start hinting around about the second coach we owned. He thought he was a truckdriver and since he drug a few cows to Texas a few years ago I should allow him to take our coach 'on vacation'. nope! I don't 'loan' that out. I did buy a 30 foot travel trailer for our three kids to use with their families. I finally sold it for lack of use. I did find the TV antenna folded wrong, accompanied with an oak limb once. Mr Trucker might have used it once. "I really want a motorhome" he said.

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/21 11:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a trailer, but would probably feel the same way if it was a MH. Yes I would let my kids borrow it if they asked. They have all been camping with me and working the systems for their entire life. I have also made them drive to and from camping a few times just in case I was ever not able to for some reason. I figured it was better to learn how now without the added stress of a sick dad or something.

As far as a neighbor/friend? I can only think of two that I would have no problem loaning it to.

Funny thing is, I would not loan it to any of my brothers as they don't seem to take care of things like I do.

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

Mel Stuplich

Wausau, WI

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/21 11:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mondooker wrote:

I was sitting at the dealership today when a guy sitting across from me got a call from, I found out later, his son-in-law. Come to find out that this guy bought a new motorhome last year and his son-in-law was asking to barrow it. He thought going on a vacation was a good thing to do and barrowing the motorhome was the way to do it.

He nicely told his son-in-law that his motorhome is not something he loans out and the son-in-law obviously didn't like that answer. The son-in-law was not letting it go and tried two or three different ways of convincing this guy why he should loan it out. I felt bad for the guy because he was trying to be nice to someone who was obviously pushing the bounds.

What about you guys, do you loan out your motorhome? Obviously you don't if you full time, but what about those who use it a couple months? Do you loan it out to your kids, neighbors and friends?

Only when I'm in it.

fx2tom

CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/10/21 11:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have loaned my trailer out to 3 people in the past. My only responsible brother, my father in law and my best friend.

My brother and I ran a trucking company together and could both drive doubles so I knew he could handle it and that if something happened he could afford to fix it.

My father in law has driven trucks and is the most anal person I know when it comes to maintaining, repairing and handling any kind of vehicle. Also has the means (and ability) to fix anything that would happen.

My best friend borrowed it a couple times after he lost his 40 footer in the divorce. Again, has the means and ability to fix anything that would happen.

Other than those 3 I wouldn't lend it to anyone else.

2002 Ford F250 Lariat 7.3l 4x4 CCSB
2007 Forest River Sierra Sport M-26FBSP

bukhrn

Lanexa, Va

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/10/21 12:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After all this reading, my answer is short, NO !

2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund
You can have my RV, when you pry my cold dead fingers from the Steering Wheel

Sandia Man

Rio Rancho, NM

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/21 01:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, I would lend it out to my adult kids if they had some practice behind the wheel. I didn't find it particularly difficult to drive a 40' Class A, my DW mastered it quite easily as well. There are a couple of friends including my mechanic buddy I might lend it out to, my two brothers would fit in that category as well. This short list is made up of people who are responsible and conscientious of what things cost and their replacement value. Accidents happen no matter how perfect your driving skill or ability to park a vehicle, nobody intends to purposely damage/ruin someone's RV.

atreis

IN

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/21 05:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My son has had his license for 3 years now, and has lots of driving experience (two summers working at an amusement park that's an 80 mile round trip, plus two 500 mile road trips in his car). With some guidance and a few behind-the-wheel sessions in parking lots and on the road to teach him about wide swings and how tall it is and get him used to the handling, I'd be okay with it for short distances but would want him to do a few of those before I'd be comfortable with a longer trip.

My middle daughter has had her license for less than a year. She needs a lot more experience on the road first!

My youngest daughter starts learning to drive this year. Exciting times here. [emoticon]

2021 Four Winds 26B on Chevy 4500

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Do you let you kids drive your motorhome
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.