RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: FOB keys and theft

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

 > FOB keys and theft

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/06/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/06/21 02:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ajriding wrote:

all you people talking about tinfoil hats, just dont do anything. Let them steal yours not mine.


But I could steal your truck with a coat hangar and a screwdriver and the only thing I'd break is the ignition switch....


2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Retired JSO

North Georgia Mountains

Senior Member

Joined: 01/28/2009

View Profile



Posted: 07/06/21 03:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Keep good insurance and let the hair go with the hide!





Ron3rd

Upland, CA USA

Senior Member

Joined: 03/22/2004

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 07/06/21 04:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ajriding wrote:

Keep those in a faraday bag or case when not in use. New vehicles only need the key close to the car, then when FOB is close the door will open and the push-button start will crank the engine and unlock the wheel.
Thieves can amplify your FOB signal (which always broadcast), and send it to your vehicle while you are away and just like that they are driving off.
Or they can clone your FOB signal and duplicate it.
Faraday bags will block the signal, and are around $10 on eBay.


Good advice. Lots of YouTube videos on the topic


2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

Senior Member

Joined: 06/22/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/06/21 05:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ron3rd wrote:

ajriding wrote:

Keep those in a faraday bag or case when not in use. New vehicles only need the key close to the car, then when FOB is close the door will open and the push-button start will crank the engine and unlock the wheel.
Thieves can amplify your FOB signal (which always broadcast), and send it to your vehicle while you are away and just like that they are driving off.
Or they can clone your FOB signal and duplicate it.
Faraday bags will block the signal, and are around $10 on eBay.


Good advice. Lots of YouTube videos on the topic


I ran out of fingers counting the misleading and false statement in the above.


2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!


wa8yxm

Davison Michigan (East of Flint)

Senior Member

Joined: 07/04/2006

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/06/21 05:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bobbo wrote:

A key, they have to actually get possession of to copy its impression. So, yes, a key is much safer because it is much more difficult to duplicate.


Ever watch a TV show where the rich couple goes out to dinner. The Parking valet copies their house key and address. His henchmen visit the house and all is gone?

Takes only a couple minutes for the valet to copy the key.
Steal the car later.


Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times


ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

Senior Member

Joined: 06/22/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/06/21 07:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wa8yxm wrote:

Bobbo wrote:

A key, they have to actually get possession of to copy its impression. So, yes, a key is much safer because it is much more difficult to duplicate.


Ever watch a TV show where the rich couple goes out to dinner. The Parking valet copies their house key and address. His henchmen visit the house and all is gone?

Takes only a couple minutes for the valet to copy the key.
Steal the car later.


since most cars built since the mid 90's have an RFID key a key copy is useless to start the car. To get a key that will start the car usually means showing registration that matches VIN number, proof of ownership, photo ID a signature and in many cases getting your picture taken and then waiting a day or so to get the key. And in the case of one of my vehicles, they key needs to be programmed to the vehicle either by the dealer or the owner IF the owner has TWO working keys. The programming sequence requires that at the start of the programming you insert one working key,
once that is recognized, it asks you to remove that key and insert a second key. If that is recognized THEN it will allow you to insert the new keys and program them to the vehicle.

So even if someone did manage to get a key to that vehicle of mine, it still wouldn't be programmed and would be useless.

not a very likely way to get a key for a car anymore.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

Senior Member

Joined: 08/19/2003

View Profile



Posted: 07/06/21 09:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ktmrfs wrote:

since most cars built since the mid 90's have an RFID key a key copy is useless to start the car. To get a key that will start the car usually means showing registration that matches VIN number, proof of ownership, photo ID a signature and in many cases getting your picture taken and then waiting a day or so to get the key. And in the case of one of my vehicles, they key needs to be programmed to the vehicle either by the dealer or the owner IF the owner has TWO working keys. The programming sequence requires that at the start of the programming you insert one working key,
once that is recognized, it asks you to remove that key and insert a second key. If that is recognized THEN it will allow you to insert the new keys and program them to the vehicle.

So even if someone did manage to get a key to that vehicle of mine, it still wouldn't be programmed and would be useless.

not a very likely way to get a key for a car anymore.
All it took to get a new key made for my 2015 car was about 15 minutes at a key store. Not a big deal if you have the key in hand.


Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

Senior Member

Joined: 06/22/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/06/21 09:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

ktmrfs wrote:

since most cars built since the mid 90's have an RFID key a key copy is useless to start the car. To get a key that will start the car usually means showing registration that matches VIN number, proof of ownership, photo ID a signature and in many cases getting your picture taken and then waiting a day or so to get the key. And in the case of one of my vehicles, they key needs to be programmed to the vehicle either by the dealer or the owner IF the owner has TWO working keys. The programming sequence requires that at the start of the programming you insert one working key,
once that is recognized, it asks you to remove that key and insert a second key. If that is recognized THEN it will allow you to insert the new keys and program them to the vehicle.

So even if someone did manage to get a key to that vehicle of mine, it still wouldn't be programmed and would be useless.

not a very likely way to get a key for a car anymore.
All it took to get a new key made for my 2015 car was about 15 minutes at a key store. Not a big deal if you have the key in hand.


My 97 and 2015 cars with keys are RFID and on both shops and dealers require proof of ownership, and on the 2015 as mentioned above a key from a store even if they copy a key will NOT start the car until it is programmed to the car, which requires at least two working keys or the dealer to program. So someone who trys to copy my keys is SOL, not completely programmed.

On the 97 it is a very rare key shop that can make a working key, dealer can get them overnight and at a reasonable price for a plain non fob key, $15 or so. But they won't order w/o the required proof of ownership they then keep on file and needs to go with the fax for the key order.

I'm suprised that a 2015 car has a key system than can be cut and programmed at a key store w/o additional steps to complete the programming unless they also require and keep info to show proof of ownership.

My 2019 has a keyless go, another story. Haven't tried to get a spare keyless go fob, but the spare key to open the doors etc. is one key shops will make.

* This post was edited 07/06/21 09:45pm by ktmrfs *

JaxDad

Greater Toronto Area

Senior Member

Joined: 08/02/2011

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 07/07/21 05:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One of my vehicles is a high end Benz with keyless go that I was told was ultra secure. Even the door locks are tied in, if you are carrying the key and just touch the door handle the doors unlock. When you park and walk away if there is nobody still inside the car based on the internal sensors, it senses the RFID chip is no longer there and locks the doors.

I had a tech in to do some work on our building’s keyless lock system, he mentioned my car and offered a credit card like looking RFID access card for myself that would BOTH open my office doors AND operate as a ‘car key’. To say I was skeptical was an understatement.

He pulled out a handheld device, put my key fob next to it and pushed a ‘read’ button, it beeped a conformation tone, he then held a credit card looking device, held it next to the handheld device and pushed the ‘copy’ button, it gave another confirmation beep.

Sure enough, with the card in my wallet I can go through all the locked doors in my building and operate my car just fine.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/06/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/07/21 11:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^And that’s why…..insurance.
Aside from that, if one has to go through life fretting about breakins, robbery and auto theft? Move or keep up the insurance.
I’m 10x more worried about my ‘74 Jeep (although it has a 4 speed built in anti theft deterrent) and if I’m really sketched, I just pull the manual choke out, and 86 GMC.
Once the GMC is finished and being driven regularly to places it is more likely to get stolen, I’ll wire up a kill switch that is unconventional and not one of the commonly mentioned ones. It’ll be simple, easy, and completely inconspicuous.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

 > FOB keys and theft
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.