RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Full-time RVing: Low Of 1 Degree!!!

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Full-time RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Full-time RVing

 > Low Of 1 Degree!!!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Cmccain13

USA

Full Member

Joined: 10/28/2020

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 02/11/21 01:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok so disclaimer I am from Texas and I am not used to cold temps like this. its not going to get above freezing Sunday till Wednesday (its now Thursday) on Monday it will not get above 15 degrees and a low of 1 degree. I am not in a 4 seasons rig I'm in a Class C 2021. SO how worried should I be that **** is gonna freeze and break on me? I will be of course in the rig the full time. We have a space heater that helps but its a pretty weak one. Any help will be appreciated.

wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

Senior Member

Joined: 06/05/2011

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 02/11/21 02:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are hooked to water, fill your water tank and then unhook. If your furnace is propane then make sure you have plenty, close your dump valves. One thing to check is the status of the automotive AC/heat setting. You want to make sure it’s set to recirc instead of fresh air. This can be a big source for cold air entering the mh. Unless you use the front seats while parked, consider blocking off the cab so you have less area to heat. Don’t use the propane stove or oven for heat as it will create a lot of moisture. Be safe.


Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

2oldman

NM

Senior Member

Joined: 04/15/2001

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/11/21 02:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd be worried. Move the space heater to be near pipes on the basement and run the furnace. Keep your water heater on.

That is some serious cold.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

Senior Member

Joined: 08/19/2009

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 02/11/21 02:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just convert to metric...1 C and it's not an issue (just kidding)

Where are you in Texas and is there anything stopping you from moving?

We are down in the RGV and our worst day is projected to be around 30F. Even up by Corpus Christie the worst is only around 23F for the worst low. (check the weather maps, it might make sense to head east or west rather than south)

As a full timer, my first choice would be to get to a warmer area.

Yes, 1F is challenging in an RV. If you can't move:
- Fill the Fresh Water tank and disconnect the hose.
- Assuming you are on a full hookup, drain the tanks and leave the valves open just before the first freeze. Try to limit water usage if you can as the waste hose will still freeze up.
- If the water system is in an underbelly compartment consider putting a work light with a 75w bulb inside (be careful that it doesn't rest against anything that could catch fire).
- Open the cabinet doors around any water pipes, so interior heat can get in.
- Fill the propane tanks and plan on where you are going to refill them (We got caught in -5F for a few days one year and we were going thru a 30lb tank per day...the park wound up restricting propane fills to park residents)
- If you have an electric heater, that can help. (during that time we were down to -5F, the furnace running full time and a space heater and we were still only up to the 50F's inside).
- If you don't already have it, go to home depot and pick up some reflectics (it's silver backed bubble wrap insulation). Then fit that to the windows and hatches to help trap heat.

Plan on a few miserable days.


Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV


JimK-NY

NY

Senior Member

Joined: 05/12/2010

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 02/11/21 03:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RV=recreational vehicle. Personally I find little recreation that I like when the weather is really cold. I start up the engine and leave.

Cmccain13

USA

Full Member

Joined: 10/28/2020

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 02/11/21 03:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

Just convert to metric...1 C and it's not an issue (just kidding)

Where are you in Texas and is there anything stopping you from moving?

We are down in the RGV and our worst day is projected to be around 30F. Even up by Corpus Christie the worst is only around 23F for the worst low. (check the weather maps, it might make sense to head east or west rather than south)

As a full timer, my first choice would be to get to a warmer area.

Yes, 1F is challenging in an RV. If you can't move:
- Fill the Fresh Water tank and disconnect the hose.
- Assuming you are on a full hookup, drain the tanks and leave the valves open just before the first freeze. Try to limit water usage if you can as the waste hose will still freeze up.
- If the water system is in an underbelly compartment consider putting a work light with a 75w bulb inside (be careful that it doesn't rest against anything that could catch fire).
- Open the cabinet doors around any water pipes, so interior heat can get in.
- Fill the propane tanks and plan on where you are going to refill them (We got caught in -5F for a few days one year and we were going thru a 30lb tank per day...the park wound up restricting propane fills to park residents)
- If you have an electric heater, that can help. (during that time we were down to -5F, the furnace running full time and a space heater and we were still only up to the 50F's inside).
- If you don't already have it, go to home depot and pick up some reflectics (it's silver backed bubble wrap insulation). Then fit that to the windows and hatches to help trap heat.

Plan on a few miserable days.


I'm really only worried about the tanks and the pipes. Do you think putting some anti freeze down the tanks? It's only gonna be bad for like 36 hours. Also I was thinking about pulling in the slide outs to make the space smaller.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

Senior Member

Joined: 08/19/2009

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 02/11/21 03:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cmccain13 wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

Just convert to metric...1 C and it's not an issue (just kidding)

Where are you in Texas and is there anything stopping you from moving?

We are down in the RGV and our worst day is projected to be around 30F. Even up by Corpus Christie the worst is only around 23F for the worst low. (check the weather maps, it might make sense to head east or west rather than south)

As a full timer, my first choice would be to get to a warmer area.

Yes, 1F is challenging in an RV. If you can't move:
- Fill the Fresh Water tank and disconnect the hose.
- Assuming you are on a full hookup, drain the tanks and leave the valves open just before the first freeze. Try to limit water usage if you can as the waste hose will still freeze up.
- If the water system is in an underbelly compartment consider putting a work light with a 75w bulb inside (be careful that it doesn't rest against anything that could catch fire).
- Open the cabinet doors around any water pipes, so interior heat can get in.
- Fill the propane tanks and plan on where you are going to refill them (We got caught in -5F for a few days one year and we were going thru a 30lb tank per day...the park wound up restricting propane fills to park residents)
- If you have an electric heater, that can help. (during that time we were down to -5F, the furnace running full time and a space heater and we were still only up to the 50F's inside).
- If you don't already have it, go to home depot and pick up some reflectics (it's silver backed bubble wrap insulation). Then fit that to the windows and hatches to help trap heat.

Plan on a few miserable days.


I'm really only worried about the tanks and the pipes. Do you think putting some anti freeze down the tanks? It's only gonna be bad for like 36 hours. Also I was thinking about pulling in the slide outs to make the space smaller.


I was going to come back and add a comment about the slides. As long as it's reasonably livable, pulling them in will help.

The water systems are the primary concern but if you run out of propane, a new set of problems piles on top.

Drain the tanks, close the valves and put a gallon or two of antifreeze into each waste tank is viable. The only issue is how much water will you add. If you aren't going to use the waste tanks (go up to the camp bathhouse), that is perfect. If you use the tanks, as you dilute the antifreeze, the temp it protects against starts increasing. 1 gal of antifreeze in a tank with 30-40gal of waste water is likely going to freeze up when you are down to 1F.

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

Senior Member

Joined: 12/25/2012

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 02/11/21 04:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For a cold snap of such a short period you really don't need to do too much. If you can keep the furnace running (set to 55-60 over night) it will blow warm air into the wet bay and keep it above 32 degrees. FILL the fresh water tank as it will absorb heat during the day/evening when you have the furnace running and return that heat to the cooling areas at night. You won't need anti-freeze and you won't need to stop using any of the facilities. Just be sure you don't run out of propane! Assuming you have an electrical plug in the wet bay somewhere you can plug in a worklight with a "real" bulb and the heat will help keep things warm. They also sell "personal heaters" that put out about 250 watts. Leave one of these in the wet bay with access to the tanks and plumbing and everything will remain toasty warm.
THIS ALL ASSUMES that your dump lines and pipes are all internal to your coach. If you have any plumbing hanging under the coach then you will want to wrap that with insulation to prevent water in the pipe from freezing. Where is the dump valve located? Inside a heated bay? If so, the outside pipes are of no concern as it/they will be empty.
We have camped in negative # degrees many times for extended periods without issue but all of our plumbing is internal and stays toasty warm. We also put a remote temperature probe in the bay to ensure we are always aware of the temps down there.
Our job has taken us to Minot, ND this year and we are there now. HOWEVER, we chose to drive the car and stay in the company condo as it was -21 this morning and it will have been 2 weeks since they have seen a temperature above 0! "A man has got to know his limitations" (or something like that).


What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Cmccain13

USA

Full Member

Joined: 10/28/2020

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 02/11/21 04:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

Cmccain13 wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

Just convert to metric...1 C and it's not an issue (just kidding)

Where are you in Texas and is there anything stopping you from moving?

We are down in the RGV and our worst day is projected to be around 30F. Even up by Corpus Christie the worst is only around 23F for the worst low. (check the weather maps, it might make sense to head east or west rather than south)

As a full timer, my first choice would be to get to a warmer area.

Yes, 1F is challenging in an RV. If you can't move:
- Fill the Fresh Water tank and disconnect the hose.
- Assuming you are on a full hookup, drain the tanks and leave the valves open just before the first freeze. Try to limit water usage if you can as the waste hose will still freeze up.
- If the water system is in an underbelly compartment consider putting a work light with a 75w bulb inside (be careful that it doesn't rest against anything that could catch fire).
- Open the cabinet doors around any water pipes, so interior heat can get in.
- Fill the propane tanks and plan on where you are going to refill them (We got caught in -5F for a few days one year and we were going thru a 30lb tank per day...the park wound up restricting propane fills to park residents)
- If you have an electric heater, that can help. (during that time we were down to -5F, the furnace running full time and a space heater and we were still only up to the 50F's inside).
- If you don't already have it, go to home depot and pick up some reflectics (it's silver backed bubble wrap insulation). Then fit that to the windows and hatches to help trap heat.

Plan on a few miserable days.


I'm really only worried about the tanks and the pipes. Do you think putting some anti freeze down the tanks? It's only gonna be bad for like 36 hours. Also I was thinking about pulling in the slide outs to make the space smaller.


I was going to come back and add a comment about the slides. As long as it's reasonably livable, pulling them in will help.

The water systems are the primary concern but if you run out of propane, a new set of problems piles on top.

Drain the tanks, close the valves and put a gallon or two of antifreeze into each waste tank is viable. The only issue is how much water will you add. If you aren't going to use the waste tanks (go up to the camp bathhouse), that is perfect. If you use the tanks, as you dilute the antifreeze, the temp it protects against starts increasing. 1 gal of antifreeze in a tank with 30-40gal of waste water is likely going to freeze up when you are down to 1F.


Ok good to know. Yeah I would be dumping the tank the night before it gets really cold and then doing the anti freeze we can hold off on waste tanks for the day and a half it's going to get insaine.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

Senior Member

Joined: 08/19/2009

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 02/16/21 07:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How are you holding up?

We are down in the RGV and been without power since yesterday morning but we've got enough propane and the generator is running. Plus it's probably not quite as cold as up where you are.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Full-time RVing

 > Low Of 1 Degree!!!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Full-time RVing


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.