|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  Chat Threads

> Drove UBER for a year to help granddaughter

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
mikestock

Vestavia Hills, AL, USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/21 04:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not intending to be political. I put money into a 529 for years because I knew my granddaughter's situation would put her into a financial hardship in college in spite of a Presidential scholarship and working several jobs.

Being retired I drove UBER for a year and used the proceeds to help prevent my her from having to get a student loan her last undergrad year after the 529 depleted.

I hope I can get some of that money back for her if they decide to forgive $10,000 in student loans. She is one semester from a masters and as hard as she has worked to avoid borrowing, she deserves something good.

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/11/21 05:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not to be political, but then my son deserves $50K back because he worked hard, etc. Sorry, you take the loan you pay it back. Period.

BTW the money isn't "free". My taxes will be paying for it.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be Douglas Adams

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

mikestock

Vestavia Hills, AL, USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/21 05:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Crowe wrote:

Not to be political, but then my son deserves $50K back because he worked hard, etc. Sorry, you take the loan you pay it back. Period.

Can't argue with that. There is no way to make it fair. I don't seriously think she or I deserve money paid by someone else. Trying, still, not to get too political.

monkey44

Cape Cod, MA and Central Fla

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/21 05:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lots of us worked part-time, college part-time, with a few costs subsidized. Some GI Bill money (earned not free). Took several loans and paid back every dollar including interest. I worked hard, others worked hard. Now we're out earning what we paid for and worked for ... It's not time for us to pay someone's college fees with our earnings.

Altho, I have no issues with some qualifying for grants and subsidy ... but freebies for regular students are not in my wheelhouse.

Mike, you should receive applause for helping your grand-daughter, as we would help ours as well. But she's not ours - and in our minds, it's a family obligation.

Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

Etstorm

Frankston,TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/11/21 06:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Helped my nephew get through college. He has no debt and I feel those that incurred the debt MUST pay it.

bucky

Raleigh metro

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/12/21 03:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is going to be a very sticky topic going thru the legislature.
We were happy to pay for our daughters educations and they both met good men in the process and have made us grandparents 4 times over. Had they met bums in a bar somewhere the cost would have been much higher. [emoticon]

2005 Cummins 3500 2WD LB quad cab dually pulling a 2014 Blue Ridge 3025RL

mikestock

Vestavia Hills, AL, USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/21 06:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had 3 sons and have 10 grands plus 2 step grands. This first one who was born too early in their lives and had both parents with addiction problems was doomed to a life of poverty if we had not become heavily involved. She is brilliant.

I must say, mu son, the father of this granddaughter, after a long costly fight, has turned it around and even runs a halfway house for men. He has a new wife, two more children and has gone through years of training and has been straight and narrow for 12 years. Won't even drink a beer now. Still attends AA for life. His x-wife, to the best of my knowledge, has also made a recovery and married twice more.

Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/21 08:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mikestock - bless you for helping your very-deserving granddaughter! Make sure she also shares your work ethic - and she will go far in life. We too have set aside college funds for the grandkids (and will make sure that those who have chosen to bypass college in favor of starting careers, will be rewarded, too).

But I also feel that a good "life lesson" for all teens (adults, too) is that when you make a commitment, you follow through on it, no matter what. That's called "responsibility", and getting a break on your responsibility such as student loan forgiveness, doesn't help anyone.

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/12/21 10:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mikestock wrote:

Crowe wrote:

Can't argue with that. There is no way to make it fair. I don't seriously think she or I deserve money paid by someone else. Trying, still, not to get too political.

Fairness in life is a rare commodity. We paid for most of my son's college-he had one scholarship that wasn't much and one student loan and we still paid a fortune out of our own pocket. We could have insisted he go to a less expensive school but in this case the "brand name" paid off especially since he was able to get his Masters Degree in one extra year.

Sometimes as onlookers we must become participants even if it's not our responsibility. Watching a life become ruined based on principle isn't always the best course of action.

naturist

Lynchburg, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/12/21 01:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm also not intending to be political, but college used to be very nearly free back in the day.

When I started college at a state sponsored school everyone here has heard of before, tuition for a "full-time" student was $225 per year. Granted that was back when a brand new Chevy was around $2,000 to $2,500, so call it 1/10th of the cost of a "reasonably priced new car."

So, would you call a "reasonably priced new car" to be around $25,000 to $30,000 these days? I know you can get into a few econoboxes for less, but I'm trying to stick to apples to apples here. So equivalent tuition would be, what today, $2,500 to $3,000 a year? And what is it these days? For that same state school, I think we're talking in the $10,000 to $12,000 range, at least 4 times equivalent, right?

Back in my day, a student could pay tuition in full working a summer job. Try that now, eh?

Look, of course the student who gets a good education benefits by it. I posit that society benefits even more by having a more valuable and productive member. It's not all benefit to the student. Not at all.

I think that having a well educated doctor to tend my ills, a well educated mechanic to fix my car, a well educated plumber to tend my pipes, all these are greatly to my benefit. Yours, too, truth be told.

So I'd as leave have all education free to the student. We do it with the public schools. We should do it for colleges, universities, and trade schools. Yes, it means I would be paying more in taxes. It also means our society will benefit as well.

Heck, if the Germans can do it, why on earth can't we?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  Chat Threads

> Drove UBER for a year to help granddaughter
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.