|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Ev charging in camps expectation of availability, cost

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/21 07:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If a CG owner wants to cater to EV's. Install charging stations. Just a couple in a convenient location and charge a profit producing rate.
There does not need to be charging ability at each camp site.
How do CG's that allow golf carts deal with charging them?

2019 Duramax w/hips,2012 Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,RV safepower,17" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

wanderingaimlessly

SOBOVA

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/21 07:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Love how the ev fans all see it as no big deal, since they arent paying for the upgrades. Maybe a better approach would be a daily "toll" for all ev's on a campsite. $12 a day for your ev to be at a campsite.
After all, the added cost is no big deal.

Hondavalk

Toledo

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/12/21 07:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Probably gonna get scolded here but at State parks I just plug into the 120 volt receptical on the power pedestal. Been told I can't have a wheel on the grass but no one ever said anything about the big black cord running to the side of my car. The charger draws less amps then an AC unit which I have only one of. No washer, dryer or dishwasher.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/12/21 08:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tvov wrote:

Do EVs need super power turbo charger pedestal things? Can't they charge, even if it is a "trickle charge", off a regular outlet?
Minimum specification is 6 amps at 120 volts. Most oem come with a cord to charge at 12 amps 120 volts (my I-Pace is 10a 120v). These are slow but good for maybe 40-60 miles per day of use. And of course if something is available while touring around would give a good boost.

More realistic minimum would be 12 to 16 amps at 240 volts. A metered charging station can be set at this level and should not overload any main panel. These would charge fees that go direct to the users account or credit card. Most panels should accommodate 2 to 4 without issue. Some stations will limit power between vehicles in real time to accommodate a low power feeder. If one is charging it gets full power, 2 charging would get half, 4 charging would be 25%. All automatic.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/21 09:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In the short term, it is likely RV parks will opt to have a common use charging station with multiple connections rather than one at each site. That will be cheaper to build and easy to charge per use.

There are three levels of charging stations, level 1 with 120 vac, level 2 with 240 vac, and level 3 with 400+ volts. Level one is low power and takes a long time to charge an EV and maybe not reasonable for an RV park. Level 2 charges much faster and would probably work. Level 3 is more in line with a service station for fast charges for travelers.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/21 09:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For "rural" parks this may be an answer:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kensilverst........-just-around-the-corner/?sh=4813e61320f6

Cost is 30 K for a single unit that accommodates two BEV's. These are available now and they are entirely self contained. I do not know if they are 400 volts.

I'm certain redoing a parks electric system to accommodate BEV charging would be an order of magnitude higher, as far as costs go.

I'd expect to see leasing and/or rental agreements.

[image]

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, soon to have SiO2 batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/12/21 10:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wanderingaimlessly wrote:

Love how the ev fans all see it as no big deal, since they arent paying for the upgrades. Maybe a better approach would be a daily "toll" for all ev's on a campsite. $12 a day for your ev to be at a campsite.
After all, the added cost is no big deal.
As an EV owner I agree with this.

Just for prospective.... how many RV parks have a pool? What did that cost? What is the monthly maintenance cost? Do they have a gate fee or does everyone pay regardless of use?

ZINGERLITE

Union Lake, MI

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/21 10:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley wrote:

If a CG owner wants to cater to EV's. Install charging stations. Just a couple in a convenient location and charge a profit producing rate.

This would be how to do it. We have a similar station at work. you plug it in and then go move your car a couple hours later to let someone else use it. Just put in a couple charging stations in near the office. go back and get your car at lunch and your good to go.

I think this would work until they become more main stream. This way you don't have to upgrade every campsite and you can still cater to the electric car crowd. Charge a fee for charging.

p220sigman

Tallahassee, FL, USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/21 11:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree with seeing them install several charging stations in a central location rather than setting up each site. Depending on traffic in the area and the layout of the campground, they could install it at the front or adjacent to the campground as a pay site and generate additional revue by it being available to non-campground patrons too. Use the additional charges for leaving the vehicle after it is fully charged to encourage owners to move vehicles once they are charged to help with availability.

The other option in the near term would be upgrading several sites with charging infrastructure and then charging extra for those sites. Of course this would depend on the ability to upgrade the campground feed if necessary and the costs. It would be cost recovery for the electricity used and discourage those who don't have an EV from reserving the sites to have them available for EV users to reserve.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/12/21 11:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley wrote:

If they aren't on metered sites, there is usually a surcharge. Of course, most electric golf carts don't have a battery bank anywhere close to 90kwh.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Ev charging in camps expectation of availability, cost
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.