RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Ev charging in camps expectation of availability, cost

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

 > Ev charging in camps expectation of availability, cost

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Reisender

NA

Senior Member

Joined: 12/09/2018

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/13/21 06:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

qtla9111 wrote:

A lot of state and national parks are opening charging stations. I've never understood the haggle over hookups when you have a 45ft motorhome with three A/Cs and a popup next to it with the same overnight fee. So why the haggle over having an EV using a hookup?

Limit it to a trickle charge only. People are towing now with EVs and they'll be looking for charging stations.


I agree Chris. Even on a 30 amp site one could set charge to 8 or 12 amps and still have adequate current for something like your fun finder. Depending how things go we might get a little teardrop this year to pull behind Angela’s Tesla. We usually hang out for a few days at each stop. Even a 30 amp connection would work for us.

Cuidate dude.

SDcampowneroperator

South Dakota

Senior Member

Joined: 01/25/2011

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 02/13/21 08:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

O P here.
Met with our SD district 30 reps today in a mid legislative session crackerbarrel . Hb 1153 passed by supermajority levying a $50/ annum surcharge on SD our registered 162 personal EVs inthe state.
Its a crack in the wall to raise fees equivalent to road use taxes in our user pay for road use service.
It was accepted that the % of EVs registered in state will grow beyond ICE powered vehicles. exponentially.
As I tendered in my opening this thead, Evs will first most heavily impact the daily use, touring people, most for now from out of state to visit .
Recharging those growing #s vehicles in public and private parks is the issue in our static in ground power supply designed per NEC to meet rv needs.
I echo wapiticountrys posts, remote charging stations will not bode well, that pianotunas remotely metering at site with pay for use.
SD is one of many states that only allow a pass on charge for utility, SD cannot upcharge our kw\hr rate, thus the infrastructure to provide facility can only be recovered by a daily increased site fee. Our state parks are most heavily impacted, seeing KWhrs/ site/ night rise 10-20% YoY.
to those who do not use that facility, it is wrong to raise site fees to subsidise those who use an extraordinary amount of utility. Pay to Play Plan.
Just how it can work and be satisfactory is yet to work out.
the argument about pools, CATV playgrounds and such is moot. They amount to pennies/ day/guest, easily justified in a business plan.

* This post was edited 02/13/21 09:15pm by SDcampowneroperator *

Reisender

NA

Senior Member

Joined: 12/09/2018

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/13/21 09:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SDcampowneroperator wrote:

O P here.
Met with our SD district 30 reps today in a mid legislative session crackerbarrel . Hb 1153 passed by supermajority levying a $50/ annum surcharge on SD our registered 162 personal EVs inthe state.
Its a crack in the wall to raise fees equivalent to road use taxes in our user pay for road use service.
It was accepted that the % of EVs registered in state will grow beyond ICE powered vehicles. exponentially.
As I tendered in my opening this thead, Evs will first most heavily impact the daily use, touring people, most for now from out of state to visit .
Recharging those growing #s vehicles in public and private parks is the issue in our static in ground power supply designed per NEC to meet rv needs.
I echo wapiticountrys posts, remote charging stations will not bode well, that pianotunas remotely metering at site with pay for use.
SD is one of many states that only allow a pass on charge for utility, SD cannot upcharge our kw\hr rate, thus the infrastructure to provide facility can only be recovered by a daily increased site fee. Our state parks are most heavily impacted, seeing KWhrs/ site/ night rise 10-20% YoY.
to those who do not use that facility, it is wrong to raise site fees to subsidise those who use an extraordinary amount of utility. Pay to Play Plan.
Just how it can work and be satisfactory is yet to work out.
the argument about pools, CATV playgrounds and such is moot. They amount to pennies/ day/guest, easily justified in a business plan.


I still think consulting with a company like Chargepoint might be helpful. They have helped everybody from golf courses to shopping malls sort out the issues. And they look after all the billing.

Jmho.

time2roll

Southern California

Senior Member

Joined: 03/21/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 02/13/21 10:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just chasing the boogyman


2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

CharlesinGA

South of Atlanta, Georgia

Senior Member

Joined: 01/12/2016

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/13/21 11:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SDcampowneroperator wrote:

O P here.
Met with our SD district 30 reps today in a mid legislative session crackerbarrel . Hb 1153 passed by supermajority levying a $50/ annum surcharge on SD our registered 162 personal EVs inthe state.
Its a crack in the wall to raise fees equivalent to road use taxes in our user pay for road use service.
It was accepted that the % of EVs registered in state will grow beyond ICE powered vehicles. exponentially.


$50 a year is probably not near enough but at least they didn't go the other way.

I leased a 2015 Nissan LEAF from May of 2015 to late April of 2017. It was a 2 year, 24k mile lease. I turned it in a couple of miles short of 24K. In 2016 the Georgia legislature was pondering the road use tax issue for EV's and one legislator calculated about $100 (which was darn close to the tax paid on gasoline for my 32 mpg Vibe for 12K miles, but what did they do? the a$$ hat went "well $100 is OK so lets go with $200!!!!" and that is what they did in the legislation. Total ripoff. Hybrids such as a Prius only had to pay $100 a year. To be fair, I got a $5000 state income tax credit for that lease, which just about paid all of my state income tax for one year.

I cannot see how a campground would be able to afford to add the infrastructure needed to support even Level 2 chargers at every campsite. Now, RESORTS, those places I would never go, but the guy with the 40 diesel pusher with an EV on a trailer behind it would go to a place like that, so with sites being $90 a night or more, they could afford to do an upgrade.

If I were running a basic mom and pop campground near national parks and other out of the way places where electricity is limited, I would probably just install a couple of level 2 chargers somewhere close to the incoming power and set up some fee schedule for their use. The only other alternative would be something like the charge point system we had at work. I lived far enough from work that the first year, I could not drive the LEAF to work and home, Then they put in ten Charge Point connections and you flashed your card and it would deduct from your account. When the account got down to some amount, I don't recall what, i think it was $10, it would charge your credit card for an additional $25. I worked a Fri-Sat-Sun 12 hr days and a make up day every third week so on the weekends when the chargers were open, I would park on them and I would get a text message when it was fully charged and I would usually move it off the charging station (mostly because I wanted the car closer to me at the end of the shift, the stations never got full on weekends so there was no dying need to vacate the space.

My drive to work one way was about 47 miles, mostly interstate and the typical cost to charge was just shy of $2. I still have a $17.22 balance on the account and the last time I used it was April 23, 2017. I have two level 2 units here at the house, one on the back of the house, and another just inside the shop door. They were/are relatively inexpensive, so when GA Power made me an offer for a flat bill (no make up at the end of 12 mos) on the house, I put the one on the back of the house and drove for free for that first year. I dropped the flat bill after that, since it was going up about $30 per month due to my extra consumption the previous year.

Charles

* This post was edited 02/14/21 09:20pm by CharlesinGA *


'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed std cab long bed Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180. SOLD - 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

wapiticountry

Mountain West

Senior Member

Joined: 10/02/2011

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 02/14/21 08:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Electric vehicles account for around 1% of the vehicles on the road in the US. Even if those percentages equally applied to RVers (which they are not, since there are almost no electric vehicles towing trailers and very few being used as tow cars since 4 wheel down towing is currently not available) a park would lose at most only 1% of their business by not having EV charging available. To chase that 1% would involve both a capital investment in charging equipment and installation of that equipment. Even with RV charging it is likely the park would capture less than that potential 1% since some people would not have a requirement to charging available when they choose where they are going to stay. The park would be much better served financially to invest that money into advertising or amenities that would attract the 99% who do not require EV charging.
Even if the most optimistic projections come to fruition, it will be a decade or more before EVs become even a large minority of the vehicles on the road. It is very likely that the technology and infrastructure for recharging will greatly evolve over that time. There is really no reason whatsoever for a RV park to make an investment in EV charging at this time. It isn't always necessary or wise to be part of the leading edge.

magicbus

Nantucket Island, MA

Senior Member

Joined: 06/16/2002

View Profile



Posted: 02/14/21 09:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Seems like a much better business opportunity to install a diesel pump at the campground as I am almost always in need of a fill-up when I arrive.

Dsve


Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36


Sjm9911

New Jersey

Senior Member

Joined: 07/01/2020

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 02/14/21 09:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

magicbus wrote:

Seems like a much better business opportunity to install a diesel pump at the campground as I am almost always in need of a fill-up when I arrive.

Dsve

Lol.
Why stop at electric, there will be hydrogen cars and TVs that need fuel, natural gas also. We should demand all the campgrounds install whatever we need to go there. Oh , wait.....

If you have an EV you will go where it can get charged. Simple. If the campground doesn't accommodate it you probably will not go there. If electric is the future they will eventually add it to the infrastructure or go out of buisness. If electric vehicals get replaced, then they will install whatever else is the new future. Lol. This will be costly and not happen anytime soon. So be prepared to pay extra for the EVs now and use the site pedistals that are there.


2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

Reisender

NA

Senior Member

Joined: 12/09/2018

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/14/21 09:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sjm9911 wrote:

magicbus wrote:

Seems like a much better business opportunity to install a diesel pump at the campground as I am almost always in need of a fill-up when I arrive.

Dsve

Lol.
Why stop at electric, there will be hydrogen cars and TVs that need fuel, natural gas also. We should demand all the campgrounds install whatever we need to go there. Oh , wait.....

If you have an EV you will go where it can get charged. Simple. If the campground doesn't accommodate it you probably will not go there. If electric is the future they will eventually add it to the infrastructure or go out of buisness. If electric vehicals get replaced, then they will install whatever else is the new future. Lol. This will be costly and not happen anytime soon. So be prepared to pay extra for the EVs now and use the site pedistals that are there.


Totally agree. Using the pedestals that are already there has been working for us. But long term there will be Improvements and they will draw clients.

* This post was edited 02/14/21 10:09am by Reisender *

mowermech

Billings, MT

Senior Member

Joined: 06/28/2003

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/14/21 10:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For those advocating the installation of electric meters at each campsite, I have a tale to tell!
We stayed for three months at an RV park near Oceano, CA some years ago. They were in the process of installing meters for all the "long term" sites, then suddenly they stopped, and all the already installed meters were removed. It seems they didn't realize that if they were charging for electricity, the meters had to be checked for calibration, and calibrated if necessary. They had to send all the meters in to be certified, then they could install them. By the end of our stay, the meters still hadn't been installed.
Buying, certifying, and installing meters isn't exactly inexpensive. The ROI might be a long time!


CM1, USN (RET)
2002 Fleetwood Southwind 32V, Ford V10
Daily Driver: '06 PT Cruiser Turbo
Toad: '05 Wrangler Unlimited
Toy: 1999 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, Auto, 4X4
Other toys: 2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

 > Ev charging in camps expectation of availability, cost
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.