|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Ev charging in camps expectation of availability, cost

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/21 01:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hmmm,

Norway used LESS power in 2020 than it did in 2010. So much for increased consumption due to BEV's.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, soon to have SiO2 batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/21 01:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

Hmmm,

Norway used LESS power in 2020 than it did in 2010. So much for increased consumption due to BEV's.
Probably LED lights saved enough power for the vehicles.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

wapiticountry

Mountain West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/21 02:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

Hmmm,

I think it is safe to say heating would be the major contributor to electrical consumption in Norway. If 2010 was a cold year and 2020 a warm year that is the most likely factor.

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/21 04:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

Reisender wrote:

fj12ryder wrote:

But wouldn't that regenerative running create a pretty large drag on the tow vehicle? I mean it's part of the braking system isn't it?

It would be like driving with your brakes on for half an hour,

It would be convenient though. Arrive with a charged battery etc. We’ll have to wait to see what Rivian comes up with.

ROFLMAO!
And this, folks, is the world some problem actually live in....sweet dreams!

I’m not even going to look it up,but regenerative charging provides only a small fraction of typical charging. It can’t do more than that until those Unicorn Farts actually become real!

I don't know anything about EVs. But logic tells me that in normal driving the regen, even if it put power back in faster than hard acceleration pulled it out, would be a small part of the power demanded for a given trip. Bell, what percentage of the time are you on the whoa pedal? And as you slow the weight the rate of charge decrease.
Now I'm going to trump up some numbers. If instead of slowing a 4,000 lb you are slowing a 40,000 lb combination would you get a faster recharge? And if you think about it very little of the stored power, if any, will be needed to move the EV in a day's travel, why couldn't you finish the day with full charged?

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/21 04:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

Grit dog wrote:

Reisender wrote:

fj12ryder wrote:

But wouldn't that regenerative running create a pretty large drag on the tow vehicle? I mean it's part of the braking system isn't it?

It would be like driving with your brakes on for half an hour,

It would be convenient though. Arrive with a charged battery etc. We’ll have to wait to see what Rivian comes up with.

ROFLMAO!
And this, folks, is the world some problem actually live in....sweet dreams!

I’m not even going to look it up,but regenerative charging provides only a small fraction of typical charging. It can’t do more than that until those Unicorn Farts actually become real!

I don't know anything about EVs. But logic tells me that in normal driving the regen, even if it put power back in faster than hard acceleration pulled it out, would be a small part of the power demanded for a given trip. Bell, what percentage of the time are you on the whoa pedal? And as you slow the weight the rate of charge decrease.
Now I'm going to trump up some numbers. If instead of slowing a 4,000 lb you are slowing a 40,000 lb combination would you get a faster recharge? And if you think about it very little of the stored power, if any, will be needed to move the EV in a day's travel, why couldn't you finish the day with full charged?

I think some are losing site of the sceenario discussed. This is an Electric vehicle being towed behind a motorhome as a toad. If you do that with a Tesla it will charge the battery until it is full and then stop charging. It will happen pretty fast as regen can generate up to around 100 KW although some documents indicate it is lower at around 77 KW. Lots of videos on you tube have tested this and it works. BUT BUT BUT, with a Tesla the only way to make this happen is if the vehicle is turned on. And with a Tesla there is no on switch. Your butt in the seat turns on the car. If nobody is in the drivers seat it won't happen.

Rivian indicates there electric truck and SUV will be towable four down but don't indicate if regen will be enabled when towing four down. .

Cheers.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/21 05:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rivian 4 down? Only one I know is Bollinger.

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/21 05:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

Rivian 4 down? Only one I know is Bollinger.

Well, assuming they don't change things they tweeted that it will be four down towable.

I didn't know Bollinger waws as well. That makes two.

[image]

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/21 05:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bollinger confirms 4down towing direct in the FAQ. Rivian additional range and flat tow is looking real good. Can't wait for the off-road capability comparisons.

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/21 05:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice. Still curious to see if either will enable some kind of regen function so one can arrive at end of day with 80 percent...or whatever.

qtla9111

Monterrey, Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/21 05:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A lot of state and national parks are opening charging stations. I've never understood the haggle over hookups when you have a 45ft motorhome with three A/Cs and a popup next to it with the same overnight fee. So why the haggle over having an EV using a hookup?

Limit it to a trickle charge only. People are towing now with EVs and they'll be looking for charging stations.

2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Ev charging in camps expectation of availability, cost
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.