|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Winter TC Repair Project

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/21 04:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks Jim. Just as I thought, we topped out at 74° today. This weather has really been way out of the norm for us. It seemed like the first 12-15 years we lived here I was plowing snow almost every year, but never this much. Six to eight inches at the most. Then for the last about 5-6 years, little or nothing.

I don’t have a proper snow blade for my tractor, I just take the steel cutting edge off my rear landscape blade and bolt a 2x8 board on it so it doesn’t tear up the asphalt. I realized as I was clearing the snow this year that I actually bolted on the board I was using three years ago. It had sat outside long enough that it started to rot! It finished the job though, but I’ll need a new board for the next snow.

I’m really glad the snow melted as fast as it did. Nobody around here is ever fully prepared for this much snow and temps down to 0°F. I was really fortunate that I didn’t have any broken pipes. I’ve got a water leak detection system on the house that has one temperature sensor, and it was turning the house water off one morning.

This was also the first time that snow just about overwhelmed the tractor. Between the hillside slope and the snow depth, I was having trouble moving at times. I’m probably going to invest is a set of tractor chains that may or may not ever be used. I need to be able to at least get to the roads that are being cleared with something driveable.

[emoticon][emoticon]

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/21 05:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I find moving snow pretty fun.

I move most of our snow with my Polaris Ranger UTV. I did buy a Kubota L2501HST a couple of weeks ago, so I used the bucket to move some snow. I added front chains first. That seemed to help. Then, I ordered rears that just arrived today. I expect I’ll have a few more opportunities to see how they work after I get them on..

In my case, I found the front pushed on the tractor quite a bit more without the front chains. A neighbor that uses his blade on our community drive has lived in the neighborhood a long time and only runs front chains. I bought ladder style chains which aren’t the best but supposed to be less damage on asphalt/concrete.

I take the first pass on the neighbor road with the ranger since I’m usually up in the AM which clears it enough for most people. It turns out the worst part is just from my house to the maintained part, so that helps the rest of the people a bunch. I was going to buy a rear blade, but the one I want is out everywhere. I guess I’ll try it next year with the tractor. For sure, the neighbor can move the edges a bit more than I can when he uses his blade.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/21 08:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don’t mind snow moving as long as I can stay on the tractor! [emoticon]

I’m probably going to order some studded diamond patterned chains for the rear tires. I was looking for front chains until I noticed that there’s not very much clearance between the front tires and the drag link tie rod ends. At the least, I’d have to be really careful about what kind of chains I put on the front tires. Most of my snow moving is done with the rear blade, and it tends to push the rear tires around when it’s angled, just like a front blade will push the front around.

Like you I do a little “community service” with my tractor, but this storm was just too much without chains. After surveying the hills into my neighborhood, I was pretty certain that I’d make it down with the tractor ok, but I’d likely not make it back up. Fortunately the sun took care of it quicker than normal.

[emoticon][emoticon]

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/21 05:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just keep in mind some chains are death to concrete and asphalt. I think studded fits in that category.

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/21 07:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That’s true. The ones I’m looking at look like meat grinders. But that’s one advantage to living up on a hillside. If your plowing any more than just a few inches of snow where chains aren’t needed, all your plowing is downhill. The chains are only to get me back up the hill to make another pass. I should be able I keep the spinning to a minimum. If I can’t do it with chains without tearing up the pavement, I’ll just give up and let the sun (or the county) do it.

[emoticon][emoticon]

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/21 04:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After my two week “vacation” from working on the camper, I finally got back to it yesterday.

I wanted to get the ladder supports reattached to the rear wall, move the taillight opening over about 3/8” to make room for the wider jack bracket, and get the jack power plug reinstalled.

I was able to accomplish all that, but I have to tell on myself because I think this was a sign that the gods are with me on this repair. After being away from the project for so long, I had lost track of the fact that one of the ladder supports was going to be very close to the hole I drilled through the 6” wide board to run wires through. I had forgotten to drill the wire holes in the patch before I mounted it, so I was forced to drill them BAMN (by any means necessary). They weren’t super difficult, but I remember choosing WHERE I drilled the holes based more on what was easiest for me to hold the drill in it’s odd angles, inside the closet area, and at arms length.

To put it mildly, I chose poorly when it came to the 6” wide board. I could tell the ladder support screws were going to be very close to the wires, so I intended to pull the wires back out of the hole before drilling the screw pilot holes.

Then it snowed.

So I get back to work yesterday, and the first thing I start doing is drilling the holes for the ladder screws. All of the screws I removed are being replaced with SS, and I’m bedding everything in urethane caulk. I gooped up the screw holes and the backside of the ladder support, then screwed them in place. I also cut the taillight hole out, moving it 3/8” to the left.

Stood back, admired my work, and gave myself a thumbs up.

[image]

Then I looked at the backside.

The blue arrows are pointing at caulking oozing out of the backside of the screw holes. The red dashed line is the wiring running through the 6” board.

[image]

I wish I could say I planned it that way. I pulled the wires out and checked them, and even looked into the hole with a bore scope to make sure that top left hand screw wasn’t penetrating into the wire through-hole.

As I said, the gods must be with me. Sure hope it doesn’t snow again. [emoticon]

[emoticon][emoticon]

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/21 06:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That’s some nice luck. I personally think that some RV manufacturers don’t care at all where/how they run wires as long as the item “works”. Kind of a shame since it would only take a tiny bit more time to have some logical plan.

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/21 12:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You may have noticed in my last update that I had cut away the filon that will be under the jack bracket on the rear wall. I did that because the water damage to the luan backer extended into that area, and I didn’t like the way it was creating problems for me in the corner. I also extended the cut out over to the taillight hole since I was moving it over, and the filon needs to cover that exposed wood.

[image]

That metal isn’t angle iron, it’s just a thin piece of sheet metal.

[image]

I’ve got some salvaged filon from the old skirts that I replaced about six years ago that I made a patch with. Once the bracket is installed you won’t see any of the patch.

[image]

The lag bolt that was in that top hole was always at such an extreme angle that it makes me think they broke the head off of the first bolt they put in, and just angled a second one next to it. The holes in the new brackets are oblong enough that I’ll be able to drill a new pilot hole, hopefully straighter. I’ll plug the old hole with a hardwood dowel.

[image]

I made the corner reinforcement today from angle iron. I had to cut about 3/8” off of the side next to the LP door opening. No makin’ fun of my metal working skills, which are pretty minimal. Have angle grinder will travel! [emoticon]

[image]

I’m using the new jack bracket and the corner reinforcement I made as a press to glue the filon patch in place with contact adhesive. I’ll need to let this set a while.

[image]

[emoticon][emoticon]

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/21 03:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Got the new wide jack bracket installed today, and the taillight assembly reinstalled. I don’t have the taillight wires reconnected, though. I’ll get to those tomorrow. The bracket is bedded in urethane caulk, so I hope I never have to remove it.

[image]

The bolts closest to the LP compartment opening are very close to the inside corner of the angle iron. About as close as they could be and still be able to get the nut and lock washer on them.

[image]

[emoticon][emoticon]

Geo*Boy

Unknown

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/21 05:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just 3 more jack bracket to do.[emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Winter TC Repair Project
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.