|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Winter TC Repair Project

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/21 07:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yikes, I think I’d slit my own throat if I had to do this three more times! [emoticon]

Fortunately, it’s only one more. Lance used the wide mounting brackets on the front jacks. For reasons I can’t fathom, they used the narrow brackets on the rear. And, due to the thickness of the several layers of materials overlaying the 2x2 in the corner, the lag bolts weren’t really grabbing much of the solid wood.

I guess I can’t complain too much though, they never fell off! [emoticon]

[emoticon][emoticon]

* This post was edited 03/09/21 06:00am by NRALIFR *

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450

Geo*Boy

Unknown

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/21 05:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NRALIFR, you do very nice work.

alexleblanc

Shediac N.B

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/21 07:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

i'm quite certain i spy'ed a 2018 Bullitt in your shop, hello from a fellow mustang and JD 1 series owner.

TV - 17 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7 + 5er - 15 Durango 296BH + B&W Companion
others - 17 Shelby GT350 | 21 Expedition Max Platinum | 14 Mustang GT | 87 Regal GN | 37 Plymouth Coupe | 21 Maverick X3 DS Turbo R | 12 John Deere 1023E

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/21 07:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Geo*Boy wrote:

NRALIFR, you do very nice work.

Thanks.

I owe it all to my OCD tendencies! [emoticon]

[emoticon][emoticon]

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/21 07:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

alexleblanc wrote:

i'm quite certain i spy'ed a 2018 Bullitt in your shop, hello from a fellow mustang and JD 1 series owner.

Howdy! That’s a 2019 actually.

That’s the boss’s ride, and she lets me drive it occasionally. And wash it. I showed her a picture of one when they were first announced, and to my surprise she really liked it.

I love the way that car sounds. No fake exhaust noise needed! [emoticon]

[emoticon][emoticon]

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/21 06:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Made some good progress today. I got the taillight reconnected, using NO Scotchloks. I don’t like those things.

It occurred to me that I should test them before putting the plywood over that area, so I jumped some 12 volts from the converter to each pin on the camper umbilical cord. They all work. Yea! [emoticon]

[image]

All the holes have insulation now, so I’m ready to put the plywood back on.

[image]

I used some 3/8” plywood in the LP compartment area. All the scribbling is marking where I can shoot staples, and more importantly, where I can’t.

[image]

The closet wall gets typical ~1/8” luan. This will be covered with 1/4” T&G cedar once I get the closet bottom rebuilt.

[image]

The plastic LP compartment liner got reinstalled. This was a very tight fit. I had to sit and think about what the heck I did to get it out, and then do it in reverse. Getting the LP black iron pipe screwed back in required the boss’s assistance, since my arms aren’t six feet long. The escutcheon thingy will be used to seal up the hole around the pipe.

[image]

I’ll work on rebuilding the closet bottom next.

[image]

[emoticon][emoticon]

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 03/12/21 07:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another part of this project was to replace the galley sink faucet. I really like the thermostatic mixing valve style faucets, and had ordered one on Amazon a few months ago. They’re great water-savers since you don’t have to fiddle with finding the right temperature. The faucet does all of that auto-magically, you just set the flow rate you want.

[image]

Because the original faucet was a “3-hole” style, I knew I was going to need to come up with a cover plate in order to install the new “single-hole” style faucet. Kitchen faucets that I’ve installed in the house always seem to come with these cover plates, but I rarely need them so I had a couple of them stashed away. I did have to do some modification of the center hole size so the new faucet could go through it and sit on the countertop. The cover is just there to block the extra holes.

Once I got the new faucet, I realized I was going to need a couple of 1/2” male/male couplings to install it. Those turned out to be difficult to first find, then to buy. I had one left over from something, but what do you call it?

[image]

I eventually found that’s it’s a “Zurn Pex QC33T” coupling. I ordered two on Amazon, and got two of these.

[image]

I didn’t pay much attention to what they were until I started installing the faucet. Those are actually Q2500 check valves. I looked at the packaging they came in, and they have both the QC33T and the Q2500 labels on each plastic bag.

I went ahead and installed the faucet, and it works ok. But, it occurred to me (again, while I was going to sleep) that if I left those like that, I wouldn’t be able to drain the water out of the lines as easily using the low-point drains. So, I’m in the process of trying to get the correct couplings. I’m betting Amazon sends me two more check valves though, since both the labels on the bags looked like manufacturer labels.

This is how it looks installed. It’s secure and stable on the countertop, the flow of water is good, and it’s holding pressure without leaks anywhere. The platform hanging above it is a cat window seat. That was one of the criteria for the new faucet. I wanted a high-rise spout, but not too high. The cats need their window seats!

[image]

The cover plate turned out pretty good.

[image]

One of the connections under the countertop. My only question now is: “did I hook up the hot and cold lines correctly?” No marking at all on the faucet, and no instructions. I’ll find out once I get the LP compartment put back together.

[image]

[emoticon][emoticon]

Yeti plus

S.W. Ontario

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/12/21 07:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looking at your install pictures, all you need is a nipple. Probably easiest to get a hex nipple as they have a hex in the middle to put a wrench on for tightening. Plumbing dept. of hardware/ big box store should have them.
Nice work on the rebuild!
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/sioux-chief-3-4-inch-lead-free-brass-hex-nipple/1001001937
The link is for 3/4" and from HD Canada, but US site should have 1/2" size.
Or can you drill out the back flow part so it is just a nipple?
Brian

2014 Chevrolet 3500 CC 4X4 Duramax, Tork Lift Tiedowns, TorkLift Fastguns, Superhitch and supertruss
2009 Jayco 213
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 03/12/21 11:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There’s a “gotcha” when you use some of these plumbing fixtures you can find on Amazon, but never see in the local HD or Lowe’s. They're metric.

In the case of this particular faucet, the fittings at the ends of the hoses are very close to 1/2”, but they’re straight threads rather than NPT. The nipple needs to screw into it far enough that it seals against the flat washer inside.

If you try to couple it with any metallic fitting, it will bind up almost immediately. If you use a plastic fitting, the threads will deform just enough that it will screw together and make a seal. It’s a minor issue, and I was able to install it without making any changes to the camper plumbing that would make it difficult to install a standard USA type faucet.

I’ll get the QC33T fittings I need either from Amazon or somewhere else. It’s apparently not a very common fitting because the local HD and Lowe’s don’t have it, even though they both have an extensive assortment of Zurn Pex fittings.

[emoticon][emoticon]

* This post was edited 03/13/21 07:23pm by NRALIFR *

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 03/15/21 05:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Got the bottom shelf support built today.

[image]

A little extra insulation never hurts.

[image]

After laying out the T&G cedar boards, I realized that I had enough to cover all three walls of the closet if I reused the bottom board, so I did the back wall first. The clamp boards are holding the end pieces down until the contact cement cures.

I’ll do the two side walls next, then put the bottom board in. I didn’t want the bottom board to end up captured by the wall boards. I may need to remove it some time in the future.

[image]

[emoticon][emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Winter TC Repair Project
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.