|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Towing with F150 Poweboost

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
ksss

Eastern Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/21 08:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The current Ecoboost would seem more at home with the name Powerboost and the hybrid would make a better Ecoboost at least until you have to tow with it.

2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

speediq99

Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/21 08:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have not used premium but I will next time. I have been using 89.

The downside of the hybrid is the 30g gas tank. They created a towing monster but failed to give it a good gas tank even with the Max tow package. Some people just cant do it right. I wonder if I can add a tank down the road. I hate stopping every 150-200 miles with a trailer.
Good suggestion.

Thank you

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/21 05:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most any gas truck will average 8-10 mpg towing an RV of any size. I think you will be in this range, especially using non ethanol premium. If you can get 10 mpg towing in flat country, that will be better than most.

Since the beginning of the Ecoboost, the sales folks hyped up the terrific mileage, that upset many owners, when it didn't happen. Many used the available power, always had a heavy foot, and others towed heavy, at speed, and the mpg hoped for never showed up.

Yours is new, get a few miles on it, get to know it better, find what fuel works best, hope your experience with it improves!

My F250 with 6.2 gets better mpg using pure premium, towing or not.

Jerry

mooky stinks

Cicero,NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/21 06:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

speediq99 wrote:

The downside of the hybrid is the 30g gas tank. They created a towing monster but failed to give it a good gas tank even with the Max tow package. Some people just cant do it right. I wonder if I can add a tank down the road. I hate stopping every 150-200 miles with a trailer.
Good suggestion.

Thank you

Not sure it’s a “towing monster” when it is hauling around almost 500 pounds of electric motor and battery that you can’t use while towing . If you stop looking at the instant mpg going up hills you’ll be a lot happier. Just a note on the gas tank size. If you did your due diligence before your purchase you’d find that the regular gas Ecoboost with the HD payload would have been a better fit for towing. The truck would be lighter with more payload and it would have the 36 gallon tank. And btw EVERY gas truck gets 8-10 mpg while towing.

2020 F150 XL Screw 4x4 6.5”box
3.5 ecoboost Max tow HDPP
7850 GVW. 4800 RAWR
2565 payload

2020 Cougar 29RKS 5th wheel
9600lbs scaled

shelbyfv

TN

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/21 06:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP, thanks for posting. I've been interested in one of these primarily for the cool "ProPower Onboard." Didn't realize you can't get the larger gas tank. Bummer!

speediq99

Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/21 07:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am not certain it doesn't use the electric motor when towing. I have read somewhere that it does aid the gas motor when towing to increase hp and torque. I will only make sense that it does. I just don't think that it runs the truck on electric only if you are in tow mode.

As far as using the electric when towing, to increase gas mileage, I am still researching. If you put the vehicle in normal or eco mode when towing, it does go to electric on flats or downhills. I am just not sure if this is good for the truck.

Ecoboost was an option. I did research it but the Powerboost was a better appeal with 24mpg and more power and torque. It is also very very quiet.

I have to admit that I was surprised by the 30.6 gallon tank. I read everywhere the Max tow package came with it and it was only after I bought it that I read the footprint on the gas tank. I wish they had been more clear about this exception up front. Needless to say I was very disappointed. I guess they had to dump weight somewhere.

The truck is a great daily driver. I was just expecting better mileage when towing. Hopefully, things get better as the engine is broken in.

Mike

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/21 08:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mich800 wrote:

speediq99 wrote:

Hello,

Does anyone have any experience towing with a new F150 Powerboost?

We bought one recently and towed a 7000 lbs trailer in a mix of hills and flats. Plenty of power up the hill but dismal mpg. Really, really bad.

I came from a 2006 Titan and that thing did 9-10 mpg average, which was to be expected. This Powerboost does 4 mpg going up hill and barely hits 9 mpg on flat. My trip average on 300 miles wa 7.5 mpg.

Running at 2k rpms, the truck sucks gas like there is no tomorrow. We are driving 60-65mph on 60 degree weather.

The gas tank is 30g, which give us a range of 150-200 miles.

Any feedback will be appreciated.

Mike

Probably should be more specific for someone to help with advice. What year, engine, transmission, rear axle ratio?

But, the OP didn’t ask for advice. He asked for reassurance and or empathy about getting what he considers poor mileage.....

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/21 08:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

speediq99 wrote:

Good suggestion.

Thank you

When have you ever seen a 1/2 ton with much more than 30 gallons? Most have less.
Long beds have marginally more.
This is a surprise?

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/21 08:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So what I’m hearing is there is no magic dust in the 2021 F150 that allows it to get other worldly gas mileage? Weird....

Steeljag

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/21 10:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

10 Mpg while towing is normal & average !

2018 Forester 3011DS
2010 Flagstaff 26RLS (Sold)
2012 Ford F-150 Screw Ecoboost H/D 3.73
1930 CCC
Going where the weather suits my clothes !

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Towing with F150 Poweboost
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.