RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: PROPANE LEAK??????

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> PROPANE LEAK??????

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
joelyn

Az

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/21 08:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wowens79 wrote:

I keep having to replace pigtails, they start leaking where the fittings are crimped on.

will check them first. thanks

ItsyRV

Desert SW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/21 08:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

joelyn wrote:

Will check them, I know I replaced them about 3 years ago but like I say the sun out here and 120 deg, temps destroys everything...put solar street lights on the house back in may and by aug they were all destroyed, one even fell off the mounting pole when the sun just made the plastic housing so brittle that it just fell off...
ty

and when you do find and fix the leak, make sure you are coating all the exposed non metallic parts for UV protection. You can use 303 as a general coating that works good on everything or something like TriNova that is excellent for rubber type parts. Unlike hard plastics, the flex parts need that extra protection to keep them from getting brittle and stay flexible.

1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/21 08:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP: you did not answer whether the tanks were turned on, or whether the valves were turned off. Please clarify.
It makes a big difference!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

joelyn

Az

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/21 08:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ItsyRV wrote:

joelyn wrote:

Will check them, I know I replaced them about 3 years ago but like I say the sun out here and 120 deg, temps destroys everything...put solar street lights on the house back in may and by aug they were all destroyed, one even fell off the mounting pole when the sun just made the plastic housing so brittle that it just fell off...
ty

and when you do find and fix the leak, make sure you are coating all the exposed non metallic parts for UV protection. You can use 303 as a general coating that works good on everything or something like TriNova that is excellent for rubber type parts. Unlike hard plastics, the flex parts need that extra protection to keep them from getting brittle and stay flexible.

good idea, i have some of that 303 in the garage. even thou my tanks have a cover on them that stuff can't hurt..

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/21 12:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wowens79 wrote:

I keep having to replace pigtails, they start leaking where the fittings are crimped on.
Get Cavagna brand pigtails for a superior crimp.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

jimbo4UT

Stafford Virginia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/14/21 05:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gee posters. He had the tanks on for the past year and said so in his post. Also no one seems to think it odd that the smell is strong after sitting for a year?

Tells me the leak is very very new. Brass fittings srink when it gets cold.

First thing i would do is (once you get more propane in the tanks) is simply sung up the fittings, turn it back on and see if the smell comes back. But wait till it warms up into the 50's a few days before doing this. Give the brass time to warm back up.

Wife turned our burner half way on (by mistake of course) while putting a towel under the glass on the stove to keep it quiet as we traveled home late November. Only a 2 hour trip home and never smelled LP. Went to check on batteries a couple of weeks later while in storage and yep no LP in the tank. Filled it up at u-haul and after putting it back in storage i used my LP smell checker and sure enough i also had a slight leak by the regulator (it also got very cold the 2 weeks in storage before i came back)
Sometimes before we tear down the trailer maybe just take a deep breath and check the simple things. Were kids playing in the rv in the past month and maybe turned on a burner, etc. Because of no use for a year yet a very strong smell tells me it was a very recent event of some kind.

Jimbo

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/21 08:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To check for leaking pigtails, liberally soak the crimp connections with soapy water. Have BOTH tanks ON. twist and wiggle the crimp connections at the pigtails. Odds are, that is where they are leaking. YES, temp changes can cause those crimp connections to leak. They should NOT with temp changes. It is not unusual to have to replace the pigtails every few years for leaks. The quality of these pigtails has declined in the past 15 years. You want a pigtail that does NOT have a round ring clamp. Those are the worst. Also, keep the pigtails covered from the sun. UV causes a lot of problems. LAST, NEVER LEAVE LP ON, ALWAYS TURN THE TANKS OFF. Doug

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/21 08:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gas-One-RV-P........wTBZirjniOvOrBoCaH4QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

This is the type crimp you want.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Connector-R........=9027230&hvtargid=pla-450116384824&psc=1

This is the type you do NOT want

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/21 03:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The pigtails from tank to regulator is high pressure , bubbles would be larger and easier to find.
Regulator vent and the flexible pipe from regulator to the black iron pipe is very low pressure. Bubbles would be very small.
In ancient days, we used White ivory bar soap for making solution.

1320Fastback

Vista, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/21 05:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The new trailer we had had a brass fitting above the tires fracture and leak out two full bottles as we drove from Flagstaff to Needles.

Our current trailer this last month had a propane smell inside as we were prepping it for a desert trip. I sprayed all the fittings underneath remembering our last problem but found nothing. Letting it air out and then immediately returning inside with my sniffer I located a strong smell at the heater underneath the stove. Pulling the grate off and spraying the exposed fitting created bubbles, lots of them. I got some wrenches and loosend the fitting then snugged it back down. No more leak and the big propane bottles up front remained full after 5 days in the dunes using the heater every night.

1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> PROPANE LEAK??????
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.