RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Covering a truck camper AFTER a snow?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Covering a truck camper AFTER a snow?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
srschang

Western NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/21 01:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A few years ago we had an early snow in November, I hadn't had time to cover the truck camper. Same as a couple others here I decided to cover it (with a tarp, always covered it with a tarp & bungee cords for the 16 years I owned it.) So the tarp went over 4 or so inches of ice and snow. A few weeks later we had a couple sunny mid 40s days in December, so I pulled the tarp off to let it thaw/dry out. Guess what - the roof of the camper was bone dry. Must be a lot more air circulates between the cover and the roof of the camper than we think.

2020 Ram 3500 SRW Crewcab Longbed Cummins, 2019 Northstar 12 STC

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/21 01:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Now I am even more confused. First I do not understand putting a tarp over a snow covered camper. Next, I don't understand the need to shovel off the top of the camper.

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/21 02:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why keep the snow off?

The question we’re going to answer today, is “Is it safe to leave the snow piled up on the roof of my RV?”. When we asked this question last winter, our resident expert said, “Absolutely not”. Leaving snow on the roof of your RV could cause severe roof damage. Any amount of snow beyond a couple of inches is reason for concern. Snow weighs approximately 12 lbs per square inch. With fluctuations in temperature, you may even have ice build up beneath the snow. The melting (which causes water to run into cracks, etc.) and then re-freezing (causing expansion) can wreak havoc on your RV. You could end up with leaks through your vents and seals and if it were to sit all winter, the spring time could bring you a very unpleasant surprise. The safest bet is to keep it covered, but we understand that isn’t always an option for everyone. If your RV must be exposed to the elements, it is advisable to keep the snow off as best you can by using a soft snow rake with an extendable handle

1994 F-350 DRW /460/k&n intake /415# torque/lance 9.6/Engel compressor fridge/3 gr 27 batteries/Honda 2k/Honda 3K/WH Camo 2250/Reese solid bar extension/Buddy heater/3 inverters//Happi Jack tie downs /Firestone bags/Yamaha Rhino/Winch and Lockers

srschang

Western NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/21 02:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JimK-NY wrote:

Now I am even more confused. First I do not understand putting a tarp over a snow covered camper. Next, I don't understand the need to shovel off the top of the camper.

I decided to put a cover over a snow covered camper because I screwed up and didn't get it on before the first snow of the season. So...Do you not cover it, hoping that the snow on the camper will melt & dry and you can real fast get the cover on before it snows more and you can't cover it for the whole winter? Or, do you put the cover on with the limited amount of snow on the camper, thinking that there won't be a thaw before the next snow and the entire winter season? I decided to cover the 4 inches of snow and ice hoping that there would be a thaw before winter set in. If I didn't cover it with the snow and ice on it, it may very well have spent the entire winter with feet of snow on top, melting slowly as spring set in. In the end, it was moot point as it did warm up and lo and behold the ice and snow had melted and dried up from under the tarp.

Root cause was not getting the tarp on the camper before the first snow of the season. The learning was snow and ice will melt and dry up, even if there is a tarp over it.

Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/21 02:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe put the cover on the upper half of the camper and run the heater with the roof vents open to thaw out the roof?

Chevy Sonic 1.8-Honda Passport C70B-Host Mammoth 11.5-Interstate Car Carrier 20-Joyner SandViper 250-Kawasaki Concours ZG1000-Paros 8' flatbed-Pelican Decker DLX 8.75-Ram 5500 HD-Tank Urban Touring 150SE-VW TransBuggy 1200

zulu52

Cypress, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/21 04:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jaycocreek wrote:

Why keep the snow off?

The question we’re going to answer today, is “Is it safe to leave the snow piled up on the roof of my RV?”. When we asked this question last winter, our resident expert said, “Absolutely not”. Leaving snow on the roof of your RV could cause severe roof damage. Any amount of snow beyond a couple of inches is reason for concern. Snow weighs approximately 12 lbs per square inch. With fluctuations in temperature, you may even have ice build up beneath the snow. The melting (which causes water to run into cracks, etc.) and then re-freezing (causing expansion) can wreak havoc on your RV. You could end up with leaks through your vents and seals and if it were to sit all winter, the spring time could bring you a very unpleasant surprise. The safest bet is to keep it covered, but we understand that isn’t always an option for everyone. If your RV must be exposed to the elements, it is advisable to keep the snow off as best you can by using a soft snow rake with an extendable handle

Snow weighs approximately 12 lbs per square inch?

That can't possibly be right.
I guess it might depend on how many cubic inches are stacked up on top of that square inch.
Zulu

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/21 04:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JimK-NY wrote:

It’s ok, if you think long enough, you might understand...

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/21 04:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

zulu52 wrote:

jaycocreek wrote:

Why keep the snow off?

I guess it might depend on how many cubic inches are stacked up on top of that square inch.
Zulu

The comedic value of this forum is priceless!!!
If I had to guess, I’d say 12pcf not psi. Besides you can’t correlate weight to a 2 dimensional measurement.
Either way, the 5 year old kindergarten mentality is live and well here at least!

billtex

RI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/21 06:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

zulu52 wrote:

jaycocreek wrote:

Why keep the snow off?

Zulu

That’s idahosnow.
It’s different.

2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/21 08:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That was a quote not me....lol..I just put it in italics..[emoticon]

From RV Country

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Covering a truck camper AFTER a snow?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.