|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Heated hose

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/21 12:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

handsome51 wrote:

I found that to be a pain in the ass. I liked just slightly run the cold water side of the kitchen faucet.

If you want pain--wait until the 3 inch sewer hose freezes. Then you will have tremendous fun trying to thaw it.

Having a heat wave today--it is only -5 F. (plenty cold enough to freeze a sewer hose).

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, soon to have SiO2 batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

TXiceman

Full Time RVer

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/21 04:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

handsome51 wrote:

I found that to be a pain in the ass. I liked just slightly run the cold water side of the kitchen faucet.

If you want pain--wait until the 3 inch sewer hose freezes. Then you will have tremendous fun trying to thaw it.

Having a heat wave today--it is only -5 F. (plenty cold enough to freeze a sewer hose).

Solution is to drain both tanks, close the valves and then make sure the sewer hose is drained. Wait until it is warm enough and drain as needed.

Amateur Radio Operator.
2013 HitchHiker 38RLRSB Champagne, toted with a 2012, F350, 6.7L PSD, Crewcab, dually. 3.73 axle, Full Time RVer.
Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/21 05:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TXiceman,

I've boondocked at -37 c (-34 f). I did not feel the need to drain my tanks.

SDcampowneroperator

South Dakota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/15/21 06:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

TXiceman,

I've boondocked at -37 c (-34 f). I did not feel the need to drain my tanks.
Think he means waste tanks. I also heat traced my waste tanks and valves so they wouldnt freeze so I could 100 gal. batch dump as needed. A camp we wintered over in Whitecourt, Ab. had shallow sewer lines,( only 4') so they could freeze up underground if water did not rush through in a batch.
It isnt just the 3" slinky, it could be underground.
Saw that in another camp ( No. Dak.) where the oil workers had also heat traced and insulated their slinkys. The slow trickle of water through the underground pipes froze solid, then the sewage flowed out on top of the ground.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/21 06:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi SDcampowneroperator,

King's Acres in Regina, Sk has a few "plumbed in place" long term campers. I don't know how they manage to keep the lines unfrozen. It must be a real chore.

They have a dumpsite which is a "direct drop". So far it has always worked. I do admit that I tried to reduce my waste by washing dishes (approved by the management) in the laundry room--and using the toilets and showers that they provided.

This is the only thing I don't miss now that I'm no longer full time.

My waste tanks are enclosed but some one at the factory goofed so there is no heat. I solved that by installing a 600 watt fan based heater and a mechanical thermostat. It cuts in at 41 f. It didn't run a lot and while traveling I would power it from the inverter.

cpaulsen

Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/16/21 04:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have been using Campco heated for years with never a problem

cpaulsen

TXiceman

Full Time RVer

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/21 06:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are north of Houston during this horrible weather. One of our idiot neighbors with a heated hose totally missed on the common sense. He has his heated hose on and plugged in. He carefully wrapped the faucet with an old towel and taped it in place. Problem is there is about 30" of exposed PVC pipe coming up from the ground that he totally ignored and did not insulate or heat trace. Guess what?....that pipe froze and he complains that the heated hose does not work.

Ken

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/21 07:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TXiceman wrote:

We are north of Houston during this horrible weather. One of our idiot neighbors with a heated hose totally missed on the common sense. He has his heated hose on and plugged in. He carefully wrapped the faucet with an old towel and taped it in place. Problem is there is about 30" of exposed PVC pipe coming up from the ground that he totally ignored and did not insulate or heat trace. Guess what?....that pipe froze and he complains that the heated hose does not work.

Ken

Many don't understand how a frost proof hydrant works. The actual valve is below frost line. When water is shut off at that valve, it also drains the part above. When a hose is hooked up, vacuum will not let the water drain. The fact the hose is heated does not change anything.
If RVers had to dig in their pockets for damage, digging up that hydrant to replace, most would hook up hose, fill tank, then disconnect hose.

buc1980

houston tx

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/16/21 10:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Heated hose or not if the campground shut down the water and the water pump don't work is terrible.Today is the third day in this situation.Happy camping.

2017 Ford F350 DRW,2005 Kountry Star 35ft,14750 lb weight on SAILUN tire,6 points LIPPERD Level-up.New Mor/ryde IS suspension install.

jbls

Eagar, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/21 01:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I live full-time (since July of last year) in my 2000 Wanderer Wagon 32-foot 5th in Eagar, AZ. Last winter the coldest night we had was 9 degrees/f. It can get colder here as it is a bit above 7000 feet, but last winter was warm one I was told, lol. We also get snow.

Everyone told me (before winter got cold) to put heat tape and insulation on my fresh-water hose, ground piping, and faucet. I did but it froze anyway and also broke the faucet! Fortunately, the park's owner replaced it at no charge. I was asked if I let a faucet inside the trailer drip. I said no and they said that is why it all froze up at 18 degrees/f despite the heat tape! So, I left the kitchen faucet drip at night and no more freezes! BTW, they also said to leave the gray tank valve open else your tank may fill up.

I've never heard of anyone having their slinky hose freeze up due to a faucet drip. The piping inside my rv is in the same enclosed space as my heater so no frozen hoses inside. The hose from my fresh tank is mostly outside the enclosed space and it did freeze on the two occasions I needed it---- one was the problem mentioned above and the other was when I ran out of propane in the middle of a 14 degree/f night--- it was not fun getting out of a warm bed in a 40 degree/f trailer!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Heated hose
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.