|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Full-time RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Full-time RVing

> camping outlook 2021

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/14/21 03:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We took a trip to our favorite area last Fall, the Grand Teton and Yellowstone area. One campground had more campers than normal, but we were still able to get in and juggled another night to move to a better site. At another CG near West Yellowstone, it was as crowded as it has been in the past, so no change there and we were able to get into an RV park for one night, same as before. For this year, the number of reservations has not changed and we've been able to book a site for July 4th, but as before, will have to chance a first come first serve for Memorial Day. So, no changes here.

2011 Bighorn 3055RL
2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley BD3
1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica and Mabel, both Rat Terriers!

PawPaw_n_Gram

On the Road Somewhere

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/21 03:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Timeking wrote:

Did you stay at all RV parks or a mix (state parks, national parks etc.)?

First two years of full-timing, we volunteered in a national park, a state park and a COE project (no CG, but spots for volunteers at the HQ). That was about 12 months of our first 24.

After we decided it restricted us too much, and we joined Thousand Trails. We have averaged as high as $20.38 per night the first year, and $9.91 per night last year.

We spent more time than we normally like to in TT parks because of Covid lockdowns, and some things we normally do being closed.

In general, we like to spend a few months in an area where we can use TT for most of the time. We use federal campgrounds, from the abundant COE in Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas and such to BLM and USFS out west. Also, I'm retired US Navy and there are military parks a cross the nation. We use Passport America and Escapees' discounts where we can find them.

The most money we have ever paid per night was $42.40 at TY Park, a Broward County park in Fort Lauderdale, FL in Feb 2015 - granddaughter #1 wedding.

When traveling we take what we can get.

I think it is an experience thing to find a level of costs, service and amenities that a person likes, where they want to spend their money. My wife wants 50Amp and Sewer. So I make it work most of the time.

Know a couple that only stays in full service 4 star or above parks with their tag axle Class A DP.

Know another couple who Wally dock on the road, boondock in western forests a lot, average less than $1,500 per year in camping costs, in an 18' Casita fiberglass eggshell camper, along with their three German shepherds.

Literally almost anything you want is out there, and no one can tell you what is best for you. Only getting on the road and traveling will show you what works for you.

I recommend reservations initially, but it is up to you. Over time, you will decide if you want that level of comfort in plans, or not.

One reason I plan my trips, especially my driving days, is to prevent me from over extending myself. Another hour or two, another hundred miles. Done that a couple times, and it was expensive. I make mistakes when I'm tired.

Full-Time 2014 - ????

“Not all who wander are lost.”
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/14/21 03:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

We took a trip to our favorite area last Fall, the Grand Teton and Yellowstone area. One campground had more campers than normal, but we were still able to get in and juggled another night to move to a better site. At another CG near West Yellowstone,

[image]
Our camp at the Tetons on the 4th of July weekend. Cost--nothing

As for Campgrounds inside the two parks: about 2 in 3 were closed, so yeah that made it harder to get a spot in the pasrk.

As for YNP. We stayed just north of Gardiner, about 10 minutes away. Cost again -- not a penny right on the river too.

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/14/21 03:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

agesilaus wrote:

Quote:

We took a trip to our favorite area last Fall, the Grand Teton and Yellowstone area. One campground had more campers than normal, but we were still able to get in and juggled another night to move to a better site. At another CG near West Yellowstone,

[image]
Our camp at the Tetons on the 4th of July weekend. Cost--nothing

As for Campgrounds inside the two parks: about 2 in 3 were closed, so yeah that made it harder to get a spot in the pasrk.

As for YNP. We stayed just north of Gardiner, about 10 minutes away. Cost again -- not a penny right on the river too.

We don't stay in either park. Too crowded. We stayed off of Togwotee Pass then Baker's Hole north of West Yellowstone.

QCMan

Independent Republic of Horry

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/21 04:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Myrtle beach area is overrun with newbies. You can spot them real easy - chained to the nearest tree and boots on both wheels. Small trailers pulled by everything from VW bugs to Suzuki Samurais. Inconsiderate, rude and totally lacking any campground etiquette. They think it is cruel to have a dog on a leash. Totally ruined what is usually a wonderful experience at Huntington Beach State Park. Can't wait til they get tired of it. Had one ask as we were walking the dog if I would dump his tanks for him because it was just too gross for him. I told him where he could put the stinky slinky. In 25 years of camping I have never been so disgusted about camping.

2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/14/21 07:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"chained to the nearest tree and boots on both wheels."

Yes the paranoia is strong with them. I only hope it does not mean that they will behave in such a way to make it justified besides being piggish slobs who never heard of Pack it in, pack it out

William B

On the road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/15/21 04:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have been full timing for over 16 years and we have definitely seen the parks full and hard to get reservations. We are 45' so that already cuts down on the places we can stay. We commented many times this past year how many temporary plates we'd see on mostly trailers, 5ths, and many motorhomes. They are definitely new to the lifestyle, don't know any campground etiquette, have trouble backing into easy spots, etc. We have had to reserve out much farther than ever before. But would I sit without moving, absolutely not, we usually put 10-12,000 miles year on and did last year and plan to this year, although our cancelled plans of spending 6 weeks or so in Maine which we cancelled last year looks like it might be cancelled this year with the tight restrictions still in place.

Full timing since 2004
2007 Holiday Rambler Navigator 45' DD Series 60
2019 Dodge Ram 1500 Limited

Our Blog

Crabbypatty

Long Island, New York

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/21 04:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our local county and state parks are packed. Need to book 6 months out. We were going over the road in January but had to cancel for med reasons. However we were having difficulty booking parks in South Carolina. They were full. As far as Newbies? Yes ran into a bunch.

John, Lisa & Tara">">">
2015 F250 4x4 6.2L 6 spd 3.73s, CC Short Bed, Pullrite Slide 2700, 648 Wts Solar, 4 T-125s, 2000 Watt Xantrax Inverter, Trimetric 2030 Meter, LED Lights, Hawkings Smart Repeater, Wilson Extreme Cellular Repeater, Beer, Ribs, Smoker

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/15/21 07:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Our local county and state parks are packed. Need to book 6 months out. We were going over the road in January but had to cancel for med reasons. However we were having difficulty booking parks in South Carolina. They were full. As far as Newbies? Yes ran into a bunch.

Yes but that just makes my point, New York is in the lockdown states and so is South Carolina

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/15/21 07:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Haven't really noticed anything different over the summer and going into the fall. We headed west from Michigan across to Utah then down to california and back across to texas.

Busy situations are still busy. Non busy situations are still not busy.

One exception: We are in south texas at the moment and without the Canadian snowbirds (and some US snowbirds), the parks are empty.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Full-time RVing

> camping outlook 2021
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Full-time RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.