RV.Net Open Roads Forum: What's a good MSRP discount in today's market?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> What's a good MSRP discount in today's market?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Atlee

Mechanicsville, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/18/21 06:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First, thanks to all the replies.

Now slightly related question. The floor plan I want is a 24.5' long Coachman Freedom Express 20SE. It's the exact floor plan as the now discontinued Ultra Lite 204RD. Coachmen and stripped some stuff, and will present it at a lower price point.

Thing is, it's not to be shipped for several more months. This dealer said he had one because Coachmen built a "prototype" ahead of schedule for use at a regional Super Show.

At least that was the story told to me. In any case, it's the only one I can find anywhere. From the "original" price I can get it for 24% under that price, OTD, excluding state tax.

Erroll, Mary, Duffy the Dachshund (RIP)
2018 Jayco Redhawk 22J
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 23RB
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg

And Blue Ox WDH/Sway Control

afidel

Cleveland

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/21 08:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Seems really reasonable in the current climate and if you really like the unit I'd jump on it since a replacement unit might be months away or never actually be built (things are in a major state of flux and manufacturers are literally making changes on a week by week basis based on parts availability).

2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 long bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

wapiticountry

Mountain West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/19/21 08:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Atlee wrote:

Now slightly related question. The floor plan I want is a 24.5' long Coachman Freedom Express 20SE. It's the exact floor plan as the now discontinued Ultra Lite 204RD. Coachmen and stripped some stuff, and will present it at a lower price point.

Thing is, it's not to be shipped for several more months. This dealer said he had one because Coachmen built a "prototype" ahead of schedule for use at a regional Super Show.

At least that was the story told to me. In any case, it's the only one I can find anywhere. From the "original" price I can get it for 24% under that price, OTD, excluding state tax.
If I am not mistaken, that Travel Trailer should have a list price around $30,000 plus or minus a few thousand. Even if you were to achieve the maximum discount most of the keyboard negotiation warriors post they have received (35%) you would save another $1500 to $2000. Is the wait, plus the possibility that rig you want could end up being priced higher than the one the dealer has in stock (after all the dealers are not the only ones who want to take advantage of the hot market, manufacturers are likely to push up pricing.) worth that to you?
Are you perhaps putting too much emphasis on the "discount"? Would you be happy if you got a 40% discount instead of the 24% discount if the rig had an MSRP of $40,000 instead of $30,000 even though you would be paying $24,000 instead of $22,800?
Remember, the MSRP is based on nothing but the whim of the manufacturer. There is no law or guideline that regulates what the MSRP is or what amount of markup there is between the dealer's cost and that MSRP. Competitive pressures are what drives those decisions.
If you like the rig and are happy with the actual cash dollars you have to spend to buy it I wouldn't care at all about the "discount" percentage. I would buy it and start enjoying it, because that is worth way more and a thousand or so dollars of discount I may never ever actually receive.

poppa

Dallas, TX

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/21 03:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Atlee wrote:

otd excluding tax is not "out the door" in texas.

Director Marc

Southcoast Massachusetts

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/19/21 06:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I put a deposit on Coachmen Apex 265RBSS on 1/23. Expected delivery is end of April. I got 27-28% off. I tried to push it a little more but I was happy with the deal

Atlee

Mechanicsville, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/20/21 07:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Signed the contract for this trailer yesterday. Scheduled to pick it up Monday. I'm satisfied with the price I got, so I'm good at this point. Ended up, I liked this floor plan too much, and couldn't wait 4 to 6 months to get an ordered one.

poppa wrote:

Atlee wrote:

otd excluding tax is not "out the door" in texas.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> What's a good MSRP discount in today's market?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.