|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Mountain Driving

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
2oldman

south

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/21 09:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

skiwhiz wrote:

Would like hints for driving/barking in mountains, passes etc, all help and suggestions welcome ??????
Not sure what to do about the barking.

ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/18/21 11:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

skiwhiz wrote:

Would like hints for driving/barking in mountains, passes etc, all help and suggestions welcome ??????
Not sure what to do about the barking.

Leave it to the experts . . . the dog.

2011 Bighorn 3055RL
2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley BD3
1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica and Mabel, both Rat Terriers!

lonewolf80

campground

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/18/21 12:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

skiwhiz, a couple of years ago I toured around Mt. Rushmore and the Black Hills of SD with my then 2011 35 ft. Georgetown gasser. I was also pulling my wife's 4K lb. Kia on our 500 lb. dolly. The worst part of ascending a hill of any nature, no less some of the 9% grades around Mt. Rushmore is to have to start from a standing stop. That is exactly what happened to me, plus having to make a left-hand turn from a traffic signal to start the ascent. The Ford V10 is an amazing engine, and we climbed the grade between 35-40 MPH and the tach between 4500-5000. Easy as all get out, except for the folks behind me on this newly paved two-lane grade. Oh well.

Going down 9% grades, again encountered in and around Mt. Rushmore, Deadwood, Sturgis, SD I didn't rely on the Tow Haul Mode. I am a firm believer in using the gear to go down the hill as the gear the automatic chose to go up. So what I'm saying is I downshifted the tranny myself to the gear needed to keep it the speed I needed based on what I was comfortable with going down such steep decline's.
Even my DW who can be a scary cat barely winced. Did I say the V10 is an amazing engine already? When going down almost any prolonged decline and if braking is needed to check down your speed you "stab" the brakes somewhat hard (don't lock them up!) to drop speed. Never ride the brake to try to slowly reduce speed. Practice your technique on smaller hills so it becomes second nature to use your tranmission and brakes as a team.

Your rig will take you up any hill you encounter, and taking your time, downshift to a slower speed, get you comfortably down the hill too. Take your time, don't worry about the traffic behind you (when possible, move right) and you will be fine.

2oldman

south

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/21 01:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

he's gone

ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/19/21 08:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lonewolf80 wrote:

skiwhiz, a couple of years ago I toured around Mt. Rushmore and the Black Hills of SD with my then 2011 35 ft. Georgetown gasser. I was also pulling my wife's 4K lb. Kia on our 500 lb. dolly. The worst part of ascending a hill of any nature, no less some of the 9% grades around Mt. Rushmore is to have to start from a standing stop. That is exactly what happened to me, plus having to make a left-hand turn from a traffic signal to start the ascent. The Ford V10 is an amazing engine, and we climbed the grade between 35-40 MPH and the tach between 4500-5000. Easy as all get out, except for the folks behind me on this newly paved two-lane grade. Oh well.

Going down 9% grades, again encountered in and around Mt. Rushmore, Deadwood, Sturgis, SD I didn't rely on the Tow Haul Mode. I am a firm believer in using the gear to go down the hill as the gear the automatic chose to go up. So what I'm saying is I downshifted the tranny myself to the gear needed to keep it the speed I needed based on what I was comfortable with going down such steep decline's.
Even my DW who can be a scary cat barely winced. Did I say the V10 is an amazing engine already? When going down almost any prolonged decline and if braking is needed to check down your speed you "stab" the brakes somewhat hard (don't lock them up!) to drop speed. Never ride the brake to try to slowly reduce speed. Practice your technique on smaller hills so it becomes second nature to use your tranmission and brakes as a team.

Your rig will take you up any hill you encounter, and taking your time, downshift to a slower speed, get you comfortably down the hill too. Take your time, don't worry about the traffic behind you (when possible, move right) and you will be fine.

Great information. I know he was asking about his Class A, but most, if not all Class C's have the V10 if they are not a Chevy. A good Class C will most likely be our next RV when we get too old to want to mess with hooking up the FW.

Dadio24

TEXAS

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/21/21 10:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Enjoy the trip down as well as up. Go slow, the additional 10 minutes to your travel time should not be a big deal. It's better to be late than never! I have a V10 with Tow/Haul button and you it all the time. Texas to Colorado and 2 passes. I just go slow up and down. Give dog peanut butter smeared on a paper plate and causes their ears to pop due to the swallowing. Everyone is happy and safe. We usually drink a bottle of water and chew a tums for each 2500' in elevation we gain to stop the altitude headaches.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Mountain Driving
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.