|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> surge protector and water filters

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
GusCalifornia

California

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/21 02:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi there,
We are picking up our new 2021 c class motorhome in a few days. I heard I should get a 30 amp surge protector and a water filter. Well, I just went on amazon and the price difference between the surge protectors are pretty big. Anyone have a brand they like. I rather not spend a ton if I don't have to but if it will keep me from needing to buy a new one after a few uses then willing to spend the money on more expensive one if needed.

For the water filters, do we just need one that removes sediment? We have only done tent camping in the past and just carried in our water so not too sure about the water at the RV parks - never been to one. Do I need to filter sediment and then get a charcoal filter or brita filter for the sink too?

thanks!

wanderingaimlessly

SOBOVA

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/21 03:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For the water filter, the basic blue Camco that Helmart sells is all we carry, but we do use a filter pitcher in the fridge for drinking water.
For the power, the Progressive Dynamics seem to be the standard most folks go by, myself I bought a Hughes
because we travel with a dog, and my hope was that because the unit would "reset" itself if voltage returned to normal levels, it would be safer for our Aussum Shepherd.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/21 03:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GusCalifornia,

Welcome to the forums.

Many rv'ers use bottled water for potable purposes.

Any old water filter will work--but most RV'ers don't use one.

As to surge, if the RV has a 50 amp service they are important. They are less critical for a 30 amp service--but you MUST check voltage under load before plugging in. If you are NOT prepared to do so, then get protection.

However, most electric damage is caused by low voltage and not surges. So, an autoformer, with surge built in may be a better choice. (And yes, they do cost more). Look under voltage boosters.

https://hughesautoformers.com/

If you don't want to get the autoformer then look at Progressive Industries and buy the top of the line or the top of the line Southwire Surge Guard unit.

Do NOT buy just a surge device. They do not offer any protection from low voltage--and that is the elephant in the room, in my opinion. The low cost units offer all the protection of something from a dollar store.

* This post was last edited 02/15/21 06:45pm by pianotuna *   View edit history

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, soon to have SiO2 batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/21 04:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

don't cheap out on a surge protector. make it a "multifunction" surge protector, $250 not $90
bumpy

Lwiddis

Bishop area, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/15/21 04:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Replacing a surge protector, or buying a good one, is inexpensive compared repairing a damaged RV electrical system.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/21 04:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wanderingaimlessly wrote:

my hope was that because the unit would "reset" itself if voltage returned to normal levels, it would be safer for our Aussum Shepherd.

The Progressive Industires and the Southwire/TRC both do that. if power returns to the specified range countdown later they restore power.

One thing I've notices several times is the power blink, where the lights go out for like one second than back on park wide. This is .. HARD. on Air Conditioner compressors. The restore delay 2.5 to 3 minutes depending on teh make) really makes them last longer.. and that's just one feature of the device.

Filters... Take about a 2 or I used 3 but that's too big, inch PVC about oh 12-18 inches long One end gets glued reducers down to garden hose (your choice but i put hte male end there) the other end a screw on fitting and reducers to the female garden hose.
NOTE before you fit the biggest reducer put in a stainless steel drain cover cut to fit inside.

now fill with filter floss (Fish isle at pet store) then about a pint of Activated charcoal, the basic stuff from teh same isle Top with a bit more floss (just a bit) and another drain cover and screw the top on tight. Decent particle and taste filter Not EPA quality.

I also had a Britta or PUR filter (Originally Britta but after it bounced one too many times I got a PUR at a discount place (thrift).

Drinking water went through that filter as well.

Home is where I park it.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

aftermath

Washington State

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/15/21 04:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Water? I am a minimalist here. I use a blue everyday filter just to remove the basic stuff. In the few (very few) occasions when the water was bad we would purchase water from a store at that location.

2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

Campinghoss@51

Windsor NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/15/21 05:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have the progressive industries EMS-PT50X. Since we have a residential frig and washer/dryer we have a on the go water softener. Hard water is bad on the ice maker and especially the washer. Not all but a lot of cg's have hard water. So instead of checking each cg we stay at I just hook up the softener.

I strongly recommend the EMS PT 50 X or an equivalent model. It really works on saving your camper and will not let your a/c or frig try to come back on without a delay.

Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucky & Lucie

Diamond c

West ky

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/21 06:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Basic in line blue water filter from wal-mart ( might be hard to find this time of year ).

doxiemom11

Victoria TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/15/21 09:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a Progressive Industries device and use the larger blue whole house water filter. All water goes thru it. We have only had to purchase water for potable purposes in some areas of the south. Water elsewhere has been fine and we usually drink tap water, and have good well water at our summer location.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> surge protector and water filters
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.